Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a cobra alarm and tilt sensor with a tracker installed into my car, but it only upgrades central locking to remote central locking, my current central locking is really tempremental and is vacuum operated, ive seen this kit

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12303

And wondered if I should upgrade to this and then use the remote upgrade from the alarm, so my car would open and close like a mk4 does, just push the button and all the doors open, push it again and it locks and arms the alarm.

Sick of arsing about turning my current alarm off, then unlocking the door, then reaching over to unlock the passenger side. Its so 1990 lol

I bet I can guess who answers this first lol....

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
It can be adapted to fit...I used to fit a lot of central locking kits back in the day. most cars have it standard these days so that sort of died a death. There are better systems than the maplins one. Im sure Chris will be along shortly to recomend one as his finger is more on the pulse. I bet its 15 years since I last did one[:O]

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my car is 20 years old lol, it does have one but its knackered, 20 year old vacuum systems inevitably fail I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Your central locking is tempremental because it's based on a 20 year old vacuum pump design which wasn't that good when they were brand new.So yes it would be a very good idea to upgrade to proper electric central locking motors all round,in fact it'd be the first thing I'd do if it was my car.

Chris.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So that kit is a good one then? im told the motors are roughly the same size as the current vaccum bits and it all packages very nicely into my doors.

Just want it in for when the alarm guy comes to fit my new alarm and I can have a car that opens and shuts like I want it to lol

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
It's an ok bit of kit as the best Swiss made central locking motors are about £30 EACH,but I've fitted lots of cheap locking kits to cars MOST of which don't go wrong.

The mounting holes should match up with those on the vacuum actuators (but it's about ten years since I've put them into a mk.2) so shouldn't need all that much work to fit them.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
i have fitted cheapo ebay central locking kits that look identicle to this into previous cars, as long as you make sure everything is nice and tight and the actuators are fitted nicely with the rods bent and fitted well then you shouldn't have any issues.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bang on, for the money I cant fall off really lol, one of them coming my way reeet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts