Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has just been offered a Y reg (75K) V5 for a good price. It has 18" RS4's, black leather, Xennons and a few other mods.

Whats your views on the V5?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I could be bias, being as I've owned one for the last 2.5 years.

If it's the 170 Bhp, 20V version, this would be more dersiable, once you drive it and hear the engine note you'll be in love.

The down side to the V5 is that it's not as tunable as the 1.8T, but if you just want an motorway cruiser I would say it's an ideal car.

As with mine, it can be tuned, 191BHp from 170.5Bhp, and I manage to keep up we most other cars on the motor with ease.

Have a listen to my V5, with milltek exhaust, and I'm sure it will help sway your brothers decision [:D]

2.6MB

1.8MB

2.1MB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice sound!!! quite agree, the 1.8Ts are most certainly more 'tuneable', obviously depends on the individual. My V5 is 3 years old and standard, sounds lovely and at 170bhp delivers 'more than enough power' smoothly. Like everything else once youve sampled power you want more ... I also like the feeling of having a V5 badge stuck to the front/rear instead of the more common T (no offence intended to the T owners)My ONLY quirk is that maybe another subtle difference,to the T in appearance would have been better but hey thats VW BUY ONE!!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I own a V5 Bora myself (150bhp model) and must say im very happy with it. Its probably because Im a student and have never had anything nicer lol but still, lovely car and I wouldnt like to sell it !!

Having said that, Ive been in rfsteels' car and the video doesnt do it justice ! (MVI_0028.AVI is wicked Russell). The car is simply amazing with lots of power and the right notes at the right time !

THEYRE BOTH NICE !! Go for it dwabo.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
beautiful sound, purrs at low revs when cruising and has such a smooth power delivery!

there may be turbo options coming in the future to reach more than 250bhp [;)]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote: posted by Blue V5 on 17/01/2005 19:59:35

beautiful sound, purrs at low revs when cruising and has such a smooth power delivery!

there may be turbo options coming in the future to reach more than 250bhp [;)]

really ?!! Ill be keeping an eye out for any posts u make [B)] :p

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
nudda, not me just yet, but im looking into prices.

however, in the other v5 post there is a swedish guy with a turbo'd 150 v5 which currently runs a 12 second 1/4 mile!

and its front wheel drive [:D]

·
Registered
41 Posts
The raspy exhaust note is more than enough to make you fall in love with the car, one of the best engines I've ever sat behind.

Saying that 190bhp would be lovely - I assume this is just a chip upgrade ?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by Skii on 18/01/2005 11:48:40

Saying that 190bhp would be lovely - I assume this is just a chip upgrade ?

Yeap, I'm pushing out around 191BHp with an AMD Stage II conversion, Remap and Milltek cat back exhaust.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote: posted by Blue V5 on 18/01/2005 10:16:48

nudda, not me just yet, but im looking into prices.

however, in the other v5 post there is a swedish guy with a turbo'd 150 v5 which currently runs a 12 second 1/4 mile!

and its front wheel drive [:D]

OMG !! CAR *** !!!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
rfsteel

How much was your conversion?

AMD Stage II conversion, Remap and Milltek cat back exhaust

I need to put a few more horses under my hood

·
Registered
19 Posts
Be careful if it's an automatic - the motors great but the gearbox belongs to a grannie. It wants to get into 5th gear as soon as possible (within 2o metres of traffic lights) so it can give some fuel economy perhaps. But it feels terrible - we have had it back twice to the dealer and they can't do anything about it. So we now drive (in town) in 4th and only go into drive on the motorway.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Quote: posted by j40hnw on 18/01/2005 20:03:43

rfsteel

How much was your conversion?

AMD Stage II conversion, Remap and Milltek cat back exhaust

I need to put a few more horses under my hood

I paid around the ?600 mark, but that was using the GB arranged by Royster on here, though looking at the AMD website, they quote ?650 + VAT fitted.

http://www.auto-amd.com/v5.asp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts