Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone badged their GT TDi accordingly? I saw a few on the road prior to buying my Golf, & thought it was standard. I since found out at the dealers that they were never badged as GT TDi- the owners fit them. I was going to buy a GT badge, but now I'm not so sure. The parts man at the dealers said there was nothing wrong with it & loads of people do it. He said if it was a genuine GT on the V5, then why not.

Who's done this on this forum & who's against it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am the second owner of my car and the previous owner told me that it was badged GT TDI from new. I think it is actually up to the dealers what badge they put on them when they arrive from the factory!

I like the way mine is badged. I haven't seen that many about with GT TDI, so I think it keeps it quite original. I also don't think of mine as a TDI as its a GT TDI. It has higher spec etc than the standard TDI's.

Mark

·
Banned
774 Posts
I'd prefer it if my car (anniversary TDI) actually had TDI on the back of it. It's not as much fun when people assume it's a petrol GTI that just out accelerated them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
got rid of all the badges including the VW one!!!! hehehe

Mines a GT TDI but didn't have the GT badges think its to do with the year it was made, cause I still have 6 gears aswell!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Mines badged as Silver TDI. I don't mind as it was optional from TDI in red.

I think putting GT TDI looks a little messy and seems a little pedantic

·
Registered
566 Posts
Each to their own...what might appear as pedantic to one will appear as telling the world exactly what he/she drives. Agreed, it probably looks a tad cluttered but if they were colour coded such as GT TDI or GT TDI etc then it would look less so imo. Besides, some people might want to distinguish their 130bhp diesel from a 90bhp diesel, say. I think that's fair play.

~ Maxie

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
On My GT TDI, The back is badged as GTDI - imo its not as cluttered as gt tdi , on the front I have added a grill badge (GT) - it was the gti anniversary one and I just chopped the I off. I like it, thought it was a nice little touch[:)]- some might not agree!! but thats what i got on mine!

·
Registered
524 Posts
As you can tell from my Avatar mine is badged up as so. The company owner from new was a middle aged fat Irish woman and so I doubt she would have badged it up like that so deffo from the showroom with the GT badge!

I think it looks better than just TDi, and that's not just a biased view honest !!

Some may think it looks cluttered but I personally think the GT badge has more right to be on the back of a TDi 130bhp upwards, than on a 2.0 litre petrol GTi.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with Chris'n'Lau. His avator shows how my 130 is badged, and I think it shows the difference from a standard tdi. The GT TDI shows exactly what the car is!

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
i think it looks good on the car. I have a friend who has a tdi and has badged it gttdi .I liked the look of it so much i badged my bora 130 tdi the same.Each to there own i say.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I saw one on the road and I must say it looked crap.  It grabbed my attention by the amount of letters and I thought what the hell is that!  With the same thinkin people may think my rabbit gti looks crap, so if you like it do it.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I've seen a few badged GT TDI, others GTDI & even one badge GTI TDI, we have VW & their amazing dealers to thanks for this balls up, so you look at a TDI & have no idea whats turning the wheels at all.

The only true badge for the performance TDI should be TDI

Although the TDI is the better option for Grand Touring, & deserves the badge of GTI, I still think the TDI badge sets them apart from the rest of the rif raf out there.

Posted Image

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've got nothing on the back apart from a black vw badge[:p]. Could be anything, until the big cloud of soot comes out of the back and gives the game away.

I was toying with the idea of just putting on GTD , possibly in the bottom right of the boot. But it's easier to clean the car with no fiddly badges to polish round. I'm just lazy!![:D]

When i ordered the car the dealer offered to put the GT part on the car if i wanted it, but i'd seen a few and it looked too cluttered.

·
Registered
333 Posts
[quote user="Chris'n'Lau"]I think it is safe to say that anything badged with red D and red i is a 130+quote]

All pd engines are badged (usually at least) with red d and i..........so thats the 100 and 115 aswell as 130 and 150, so TDI doesnt really mean very much! Other than its a PD engine of course

·
Registered
23 Posts
The PD 150 is actually badged GTI!

I have only seen 130's with GT TDI. I don't think it looks too cluttered, by I am biased. I like it! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As I'm new to these cars, I was wondering what the different colours referred to. I just have the red "I". what does that signify? In fact, can anyone tell me what all the variations are & how you can tell a GT from a standard TDi?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts