Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ii have a mk4 gt tdi 130 i really want it re mapping by r tech, but my mate has a mk 5 105 tdi which he had remmapped, since doing around 15000 miles he has been through 2 turbos and now his 3rd which has seen his engine totally seized, this has put me off buying a remap

what are you opioning on this and the life of engine parts

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
There are loads and loads of people on here who have had/have pd130s/150s remapped and have lasted forever.

The things that usually go wrong are the clutch, egr valve, and blown boost pipes. Sometimes the vanes in he turbo stick but this is a simple fix with some innotec turbo clean.

Speak to Nick @ RTech im sure he can assure you.

Peter

·
B S R
1,265 Posts
Remaps are fine if mapped to a safe level...sometimes people get to hang up on power figures etc

I've seen some maps that are running over 30psi on a stock turbo with a 3 bar map sensor.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
There is always a risk with remaps and older engines, there is a chance the turbo could be on its last legs and blow straight away during the first test drive. But on the other hand I have a local TDI 130pd taxi with 350,000 miles on the clock with 175bhp-290lbft and still on the ori turbo and going strong, plus many stage 2 130PDs running 330+lbft and over 130,000 miles. I tend to tell customers if they are worried about a remap and the car failing then dont get a map, or have a remap and expect the worse and make sure fitting a new turbo wont cause hardship.

As for your mates 105PD spitting 3 turbos I would tell him to get the map checked out and the car data logged to find out the reason why it having all these issues, as there are some really crap quality franchise remaps around which I have seen.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok cheers lads ! deffinitly something to look into and make a decision, and for my mate he went for the chepeast map something he has regretted big time !

·
Registered
119 Posts
Its like any form of tuning, You are applying more load to clutch, turbo etc and of course the more loads you apply the faster things wear out, How ever there are loads of other factors like, Not being very aggressive driver and tearing your gearstick out your car, Also regular oil changes. Just because your handbook says 12-20k miles does not mean that the oil will still be affective after that mileage, Also driving a engine hard from cold will cause lots of premature wear to components. Just because your water temp guage is up does not mean your oil is up to temp so take that into consideration before giving your engine hell. Also gunning your car home and turning your engine off while your turbo is cooking the oil in its bearings will seriously shorten a turbo's life. So in answer yes it will shorten your turbo's life how ever all the other factors i have said + more will shorten it much quicker, regular oil changes and some common sense will make it last much longer. I had a astra CDTI remapped and it saw 130,000 miles when i solf it it was remapped for 80k miles never missed a heartbeat but i changed oil at least every 8k and applied common sense to not destroying the turbo. So if you look after your car and understand how to look after a turbo. Go for it if you just drive a car and dont really care to much about it then Dont (unless you have money to fix things when they go wrong)

Hope that helps your decision a little,
J

1 - 6 of 6 Posts