Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone check if their drivers side electric window switch allows you to raise the window with one touch.

The passenger window switch on the driver's side allows me to do this but not the switch for the drivers window.

I can feel a double click on the passenger switch up and down and I can feel a double click on the drivers switch when pressing down but not pressing up.

Just wanted to know if I need to mention it to the dealer the next time I am in.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Could someone check if their drivers side electric window switch allows you to raise the window with one touch.

The passenger window switch on the driver's side allows me to do this but not the switch for the drivers window.

I can feel a double click on the passenger switch up and down and I can feel a double click on the drivers switch when pressing down but not pressing up.

Just wanted to know if I need to mention it to the dealer the next time I am in.

one touch all round here too

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

Yes. Should have a one-touch operation when working correctly.

Incidentally, when does one use the opening window facility, notwithstanding cigarette smokers and toll booth users? Very, very rarely, if ever, open mine.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Incidentally, when does one use the opening window facility, notwithstanding cigarette smokers and toll booth users? Very, very rarely, if ever, open mine.
I lower the windows for a couple of minutes when returning to the car in very hot weather to expel the hot air[8-|]

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I'm on holiday and the dealers are shut until Thursday as it is the silly season over here so I thought I would have a look myself.

Took the cover off with the switches and had a look at the switch. There was only one unit for both switches

It came apart quite easily and looking inside I coud see two small metal contact assemblies. The one for the drivers door was not seated properly. I seated this properly, it worked once and then was back to the previous problem. Looked again at the switch and noticed that when it clipped into the main assembly, one action of the switch clipped it out. There were only tiny plastic clips holding it in.

I heated the frame slightly with a hair dryer (my wifes, I don't need one any more [:)] ) to make the switch tighter when pushed in, reassembled it and all works well. [:D]

All I can say is don't lean on the window switches too much as they don't look too strong.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
........................................................................All I can say is don't lean on the window switches too much as they don't look too strong.
Another example of VW's dedication to quality- NOT.

My Rover and Ford switches, whilst not having that very quintessence of quality about them, would at leat stand up to the rigours of everyday usage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know whether the one-touch open/close work when you've turned off the engine (but the key remains in the ignition)? It does with Vauxhall Corsas.... [^o)]

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mikemod, you bugger!!

You mention that your window has broken, and Oh yes, and not 5 minutes later mine goes as well. Remind me not to read any post about things you break as it seems you've cursed me.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
........................................................................All I can say is don't lean on the window switches too much as they don't look too strong.
Another example of VW's dedication to quality- NOT.
Hopefully a one off failure.
You're not Paul Willis are you?

[;)][:)]

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mikemod, you bugger!!

You mention that your window has broken, and Oh yes, and not 5 minutes later mine goes as well. Remind me not to read any post about things you break as it seems you've cursed me.
LOL

Is is it the same problem ?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
My mum's polo and my mk4 both fell foul of this - there is a way you can reset the controller so that the one-touch up/down goes back to normal (ie on).

However, I've had a look round and can't for the life of me find out where I read it!!! I'll keep looking and post it up if I do find it - I think it was something to do with playing with the ignition and window buttons which got it going again...

Sorry to not have the specifics, but it should give hope that (With any luck!) nothing's broken that'll cost [:D]

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My mum's polo and my mk4 both fell foul of this - there is a way you can reset the controller so that the one-touch up/down goes back to normal (ie on).

However, I've had a look round and can't for the life of me find out where I read it!!! I'll keep looking and post it up if I do find it - I think it was something to do with playing with the ignition and window buttons which got it going again...

Sorry to not have the specifics, but it should give hope that (With any luck!) nothing's broken that'll cost [:D]
Mine was definitely a broken switch, which I have now fixed. You could not get the switch to the "one touch up" position due to the metal contacts inside the switch being out of place and the plastic carrier not staying clipped in.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah ok, sorry... may help someone else later if they come a-searching!

Still haven't found the instructions though, lol :)
No Problem, but you'll never guess what happened today, exactly as you described. [:O]

Was playing about with the switch and the one touch up stopped working, I could feel the second click on the switch so knew it wasn't that again.

Left it for about ten minutes while driving and it works again Keep searching [:D]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
This happened on my Bora previous to the last one, intermittent fault
on the switch, easily replaced. IIRC the fronts are both one touch but
the rears are not.

Incidentally, when does one use the opening window facility,
notwithstanding cigarette smokers and toll booth users? Very, very
rarely, if ever, open mine.
Every day, I just prefer the fresh air to air con. I know it means
climate control cannot do its job properly, but if its a nice day all
my windows go down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.