Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Graham, why you cheeky little...

Posted Image

[:D]

That's about the going rate for a case like that. I personally spend at least that much on the PSU alone (Akasa PaxPower 460W silent) for anything approaching high end but most consumer oriented cases of reasonable quality are around that much. Steer well clear of anything cheaper, or that has swing-down sides (Jeantech Butterfly, nuff said), particularly on the motherboard side - all this does is compromise structural rigidity, which is pants [N] Besides, you still have to disconnect everything before the side will swing down with the motherboard.

Only negative points for me are the rear exhaust fan mounting is for 80mm. I prefer 120mm, to fit a low-RPM fan, very quiet (Akasa 1,400 RPM silent fan, being larger it shifts a lot of air but virtually silently). A more businesslike case with super quiet 120mm exhaust fan and quiet power supply is the Antec SLK-1650, also around this price. I also don't like plastic doors over the drives, or USB ports, as they have a tendency to break and get in the way (whichever is sooner), not to mention obscuring the flashing lights on the drives [H]

If you want to impress girls though then get the flashy glowy ones, not business style ones [:)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's Graham's new lunch-box...... [:p]
Unfortunately my lunch box is not as big as that!

You know that thing you guys call your hard drive.....well thats the case that you PUT the hard drive and other components into! It's also a 400w PSU with unique connectors, which means you only connect what you need.

It also conviniently lights up blue or yellow, and I think, the leads light up yellow as shown in the pictures, or they are just that colour as standard.

Makes a funky computer basically, and all that is a very good price. The cases are made by cheiftek I have read somewhere...

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Graham, why you cheeky little...

Posted Image

[:D]

That's about the going rate for a case like that. I personally spend at least that much on the PSU alone (Akasa PaxPower 460W silent) for anything approaching high end but most consumer oriented cases of reasonable quality are around that much. Steer well clear of anything cheaper, or that has swing-down sides (Jeantech Butterfly, nuff said), particularly on the motherboard side - all this does is compromise structural rigidity, which is pants [N] Besides, you still have to disconnect everything before the side will swing down with the motherboard.

Only negative points for me are the rear exhaust fan mounting is for 80mm. I prefer 120mm, to fit a low-RPM fan, very quiet (Akasa 1,400 RPM silent fan, being larger it shifts a lot of air but virtually silently). A more businesslike case with super quiet 120mm exhaust fan and quiet power supply is the Antec SLK-1650, also around this price. I also don't like plastic doors over the drives, or USB ports, as they have a tendency to break and get in the way (whichever is sooner), not to mention obscuring the flashing lights on the drives [H]

If you want to impress girls though then get the flashy glowy ones, not business style ones [:)]
Well I think its superb for the price! I'm not quite up to your standards yet them shiuming?! hehe, poash [:D]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Not doubting the value for money mate [:)] Although there are reasons why a power supply can cost as much as a case, but yeah, that looks good for the money [Y] The front panel style is defo Chieftec, so can well believe they manufacture them.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I also don't like plastic doors over the drives, or USB ports, as they have a tendency to break and get in the way
I'm with you on this one. My current main PC has a plastic door which has sat beside it gathering dust since it was about a fortnight old. Looks like a decent case for the price though.

Shiuming, you're way over my head on the big fan issue. I thought they were standard. If it spins then I'm happy. [:D]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Big fans can shift the same or more air at lower RPM so are less noisy (or the perception is at least different, as the frequency of the noise is lower). This is how Dell builds quiet machines. Instead of a small, high RPM fan on the processor, big-ass oversized heat sink and a massive plastic duct leading to a large diameter low RPM fan at the back [Y] So instead of a droning noise, you get a hushed airflow noise if you listen carefully.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Definitely a chieftec case, at work we use a load of the DA-01B-D units for the main servers, and the main backup cluster. I have just got a few JS-2000 units from chieftec and I can honestly say they are one of the best cases I have ever seen.

Nice case, and if it?s made by chieftec then it is going to be as reliable as a golf... or maybe more so lol

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmm... I'd like a silent PSU for mine..... any pointers? its no power monsters but it would be nice to make it future proof so I could use another mainboard with it.... current I have a P4 setup... what would you recomend to get the wiiieeerrrrrrrin noise out of my ears?

·
Registered
379 Posts
My mate swears by 120mm fans aswell. He's got about 4 of them in his tower. His also sound deadend his ENTIRE case and has a ultra quite PSU. His computer is barely hearable! Its so quiet you wouldnt even know it was on!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmm ...they look good eh!

Just looking at the fans as well... if I got a better fan for my processor would I be able to overclock it more? it still has the intel item on it...

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
My mate swears by 120mm fans aswell. He's got about 4 of them in his tower. His also sound deadend his ENTIRE case and has a ultra quite PSU. His computer is barely hearable! Its so quiet you wouldnt even know it was on!
Ah well that's dangerous... He might accidentally try switching it "on" while it's got some massively important document open [;)]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts