Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running MS 2000 server....

How do I delete old profiles?! Say the user has left, I can deactivate them, but am still left with a directory in C:\profiles with their profile in it and I can't delete it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
191 Posts
have you tried stopping the share first? or has the user left himself logged on somewhere with some of the files open?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Go to System Properties (Right Click My Computer | Properties) Select User Profiles Tab | Select the user and Click delete.

That deletes the entire profile. Remember that if its an AD environment, the user isn't actually deleted but just tombstoned for a while (forgotten the length of time)

HTH

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
That's one way of doing it (but if I recall correctly, only deletes locally cached copy)... If it's shared, you'll just get an alarm up saying "This is currently shared, yadayada do you want to continue" so that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm presuming you're talking about the centrally stored profile on a fileserver, based on the path given above?? Either way may be worth cracking on with the below.

Are you doing this with the Administrator account (of the domain if it's AD or of the server if it's not). If so, bizarre. Check the permissions and ownership thouhg, in case Windows has messed about with them (have seen it lock everyone out but the user and system id before now, very weird). Obviously as Administrator if you're not sure yu've got correct ownership, take ownership and then try a deletion (similar to that problem we were diagnosing before)

Not finding anything obvious at support.ms.com

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks people.

Yes I am talking about the actual profile. I can delete their username with ease. I have administraive rights, I can see everything, I can even delete folders such as 'desktop' etc within the route of the profile folder, but theres some files I cannot for the life of me delete. Clicking delete on the keyboard just literally does nothing.

So basically I end up with a list of around 80 profiles, with usernames, in this case being initials. Can I delete the 30 or so that are inactive!? No!

Not a major issue, just annoying really. There must be something stupid I'm missing.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to System Properties (Right Click My Computer | Properties) Select User Profiles Tab | Select the user and Click delete.

That deletes the entire profile. Remember that if its an AD environment, the user isn't actually deleted but just tombstoned for a while (forgotten the length of time)

HTH
Your talking on the server? I'm not talking about a workstation...

Will give it a go.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Is the My Documents folder synchronising on the profile for offline files? If they are, it will probably be that folder, which you need to take ownership of.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually looked at delproof earlier, then thought sod that there must be an easier way than typing commands! Found it on google.

·
Registered
409 Posts

HTH
Your talking on the server? I'm not talking about a workstation...

Will give it a go.
Yeah, your right thats no good for a server only in a workstation environment. Sorry for being a muppet.

If you can see the profiiles but not delete them AND you have an AD environment, are you sure that the profiles are not tombstoned? Meaning that if you have deleted them, ad hangs on to them for a predetermined amount of time so that although it looks like they are removed, it is actually possible to restore them. (I'm going back a few years and trying to recall some ad knowledge mind you)

HTH

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Yeah, your right thats no good for a server only in a workstation environment. Sorry for being a muppet.

If you can see the profiiles but not delete them AND you have an AD environment, are you sure that the profiles are not tombstoned? Meaning that if you have deleted them, ad hangs on to them for a predetermined amount of time so that although it looks like they are removed, it is actually possible to restore them. (I'm going back a few years and trying to recall some ad knowledge mind you)

HTH
Can you explain what you mean by that one (as I don't get it and never come across it before)... The only thing I ever tombstone is WINS entries occasionally [;)]

If you want a profile gone, ensure the user's not logged on, delete the user from the domain or whatever, then delete the userprofile folder, end of. Never had a problem bar once when it went weird and I had to Take Ownership, and that was it [:)]

I'm curious (not saying you're wrong or naything!) as to where this Profile Tombstoning comes from [:)]

Ta

C

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Profile tombstoning comes from NT doesnt it? I.e. once you have had a user, lets say 'CKB' set up on the domain, you can get rid of that user, but you can never on that domain have another user called 'CKB' because there has already been that profile.

I have deleted the user entries from the domain, they no longer exist, what I can't do is get rid of their files in explorer c:\profiles. Like i say I may have missed something stupid somewhere, but can't have another look now until Monday.

The only one thing I was doing was deleting using Administrator over Remote Desktop. Not that that should make a diference. I couldnt be bothered taking my fat lardy body into this tiny little hot room with my noise pushed up to the screen [:D]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Are you using the adminsitrator account or an account that has been
given administrator privileges? try taking ownership of the files in
c:\profiles, who set the domain up?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Service providers set the domain up but I have full privalidges to everything. Using the actual administrator account. Will give it another go on Monday.

·
Registered
409 Posts

HTH
Can you explain what you mean by that one (as I don't get it and never come across it before)... The only thing I ever tombstone is WINS entries occasionally [;)]

If you want a profile gone, ensure the user's not logged on, delete the user from the domain or whatever, then delete the userprofile folder, end of. Never had a problem bar once when it went weird and I had to Take Ownership, and that was it [:)]

I'm curious (not saying you're wrong or naything!) as to where this Profile Tombstoning comes from [:)]

Ta

C
Its no worries [:)] Yes your right tombsoning does occur with wins as well.

I'm not an expert, but IIRC, say user CkB was deleted from a AD forest, then in a weeks time you add a user called CkB then it would say the user already exists within the forest. Te reason because it is tombstoned and not actually removed from the Global Catalog.

This kinda explains what I mean http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/guide/sas_usr_xdqd.mspx

HTH [:)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts