Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, just a little question about rear camber adjustment on these two,i have a tt which i presume have the same rear setup as you guys.

have any of you used the H&R triple C camber abjustment bolts?

and if so what part number....? i was told tc114 will do.

they dont do listing for the rear on these cars mentioned and would like to know if anyone has tried or infact are using these cheepish alternative things?

i was going to use the rear adjustable arms but from what i can find out are not tuv approved and will invalidate my insurance if used and they fail causing me to crash.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Looking into this myself, there have been many discussions over the past few weeks and the synopsis has been the very expensive forge tie bars, either do a search on my name or on neil-s

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
andymac - let me know if you find anything out about this subject and ill let you all know if i do to.[:D][:D]

i now have some tc114 which i ordered but the dia. is 14 mm and i think this is to much from looking at the bolt it looks like a 12mm. i'm going to go down to audi to get a new rear arm mounting bolt and put the two side by side to see the comparison, i'm now 90% sure this will work and you could even put one on the top arm too. for ?25 its worth trying and is also tuv approved.

ps they are a doddle to fit not like the the american kit. it doesnt replace the bushs its just a cam shaped bolt that has a setting marker on it and will take only a hour to do once its in the air.

and they also do about 20 versions so i'm sure ill get on to fit. you can get these from motorsport wheels in leeds. 01132188777

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update ....mc112 is the correct part number its a 12mm dia. cam bolt with a centrel fitting width of 40-50mm. will get to try next week now

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Get some pics if you can, also from the research I have done I think you will have to fit these to the inside of the tie bar as they rely on compression to keep them in situ.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats where they should be fitted in my opinion (same as the k-mac ones) see this link....

http://public.fotki.com/ttschwing/kmac_suspension_install/install_pics/

this i a guy in america who know what hes doing (mechanically) styling is a bit off but just look at the workshop hes got.

anyway back to the topic, these kmac ones are from the us and replace the bush at the inner arm mount and also have an excentric bolt too.

i think this must be a doddle to do once in, as all you have to do is lift the car, turn the bolt, then tighten up.... as easy to do as the tie bars i think....[:D][:D]

i think these have been on the forum before but this shows you how easy it is really. and if the tripple c clamps can do the same its only at the fraction of the cost of a non tuv approved arm at ?300

does any one know where these k-mac kits can be perchased from.?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
How is there enough room for adjustment? My camber is well off, as I have slammed the car... (Looks like an E30 M3 at the moment!!)

Just can't see how there will be enough to sort the 3 of 4 cm that I need to adjust...

Looking at the pictures in that guide, it doesn't look like he has particularly lowered the car??!!!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
These tripe c's wont do it! if you do a google for the kmac ones you will see its not just an eccentric bolt its realy an eccentric bush insert all the bolt does on the kmac ones is to turn the bush insert the appropriate amount, notice the bolts on the kmac kit have one side shaved of to enable them to turn the bush insert.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'm so confused.... have spoken with an engineer mate. He reckons he can fabricate the forge adjustable tie bars, for no more than ?100 a set (need original lower arms to change)

He also reckons that forge have done very little to 'reinforce' their version, and that they are very pricey for what they are. (Essentially a stock item cut in the middle with a two way thread, and poly bush)

Anybody want me to try and organise some kind of group buy?[:D]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
andymac - if you look at the 3xc ones, they are also the same as the kmac ones as the centre of the bolt on the mc112 part is an "off centre" type, meaning when you turn the bolt it moves off centre by +/- 3 degrees.

i have not yet tried these but they do work on some cars but are not listed for our applications. so its a matter of finding one that does or at least trying too....[:D][:D]

it would save a lot of people a lot of money if it does as they only cost ?25 and will not invalidate our insurance...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
RAJ20VT I agree but I really am 99% sure that the triple c's wont work - it maybe worth our while and asking over at vwvortex as they seem to have alot more technical knowledge than us, believe me theres nothing I would like more than to sort the camber out for 25 quid!

BUT if evilhomers mate could engineer some arms then all we need to do is buy a spare set between us get them modded and then fit them to evilhomers car, then with the standard ones we remove from evilhomers get them modded and pass them onto 'me' I fit them and then pass them along again. I'd be well up for splitting the cost of this and we all live in fairly reasonable distance of eachother so should be easy!

Anyone know how much 2 new standard bars would be.

At the end of the day all forge are doing is shipping standard arms out to an engineering shop somewhere.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
count me in too , i do belive the arms are a better idea but i dont like getting ripped off buy forge/amd/milltek.[:D][:D]

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Right, What I need is definites. I'm assuming we have 3 on board including myself so far? Is there going to be anyonw else? Basically, Once the guy has got everything jigged up and ready to go it's gonna be cheaper and less time consuming when and how many arms he is going to do. I am quite prepared to whip mine off and leave the car on axle stands whilst they are prepared, as the car is sat in the garage, but that still doesnt help you guys who I believe use your cars on a daily basis?

I havn't been able to get to stealers to price up a set of lower arms yet, but am hoping to do so 2moro, or monday. At worst i'll give my buddy in the parts dept a ring tommorrow.

So any ideas if there is more of us? Shall I start a new thread?

M[?]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Sorry guys, just jumping in here at the last moment! You're talking about the camber on the rear wheels right? Where on a lowered car the top edges sit in too far, hence inside edge tyre wear. I interested in getting this sorted too, although not suffering too much with tyre wear at the moment. I reckon I'm another for the list that will surely grow......

Cheers

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Cool, keep the list coming then. My mate in parts will have the arms price on monday.... Thinking about it, if i'm honest and i'm feelin generous.. the best way of doing this is going to be for me to leave my car on axle stands throughout the process isn't it. I can get my arms done, exchange for cash and old arms from one of you lot, in turn until everyone is done. Last person to be done will be me then, and no need to buy a new set? unless peeps want a set of originals to revert to?

Does that all make sense?... What are your thoughts?[?]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would like a set of originals to revert to but that really depends on the price. That is a pukka offer though evilhomer and a generous one too. I'll make a decision as to originals etc. once we have the prices though.

Cheers

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
another thought, on the s-line tt it comes as standard 20mm lower.

and also on the 02 models audi decided to lower the car period.

so are the s-line and 2002 tt rear arms a different part number ?

does anyone have info of the part numbers on here?

[;)]

by the way i'm still in for the rear arm mod too

1 - 20 of 80 Posts