Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the look of two devices:

Micro Roadpilot LaserPilot - ?393.99 Delivered (with free 3 Socket Cigar Lighter Extension worth ?9.99)

Origin b2 - ?429.95 Delivered

Both have GPS with regularly updated databases of all types of cameras.

Both have Laser (Micro Roadpilot's Laser Detector is water resistant so it can be mounted under the numberplate - I don't know if the Origin's Laser thingy is water resistant too?)

Origin seems to display more on the screen at the same time (usefull but could detract from the main bits?)

Micro RP is properly tiny.

Both can be upgraded to have Radar detection too.

Micro RP can have another Laser thingy attached for the rear of the car (not sure if Origin can too).

Origin can be linked to a Laser difuser

Not sure if Origin could be connected to a laptop to provide NEMA output for Sat Nav? Micro RP can't (although I don't have a laptop lol).

Both have 6 months free subscription and are around ?50 a year thereafter.

Both have docking cradles for the car.

Origin shows the road name that you're on.

Price difference and the fact that the Micro RP is tiny are pushing me towards the Smaller, Cheaper Micro RP, but any comments are very welcome!

Prices are from http://www.radar-detectors.co.uk/

Does anyone know of anywhere selling these cheaper (inc delivery)??

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I saw that, but liked the fact that these two are much smaller and have docking cradles so they can be quickly removed from the car when you park up.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Josh,

I went through the same dilema recently as I had the original Morhpeous Geodesy and wanted to replace it with something that did DS2 speed cameras. In the end, after a lot of comparing I went for the Micro Roadpilot.

Must say i am well chuffed with my decision also. The only gripe I have with it is it can sometimes take a little while to hook up to the database (5-10 minutes sometimes). Overall though I am well impressed with it and cannot reccomend it enough!

I bought it off of ebay brand new and paid ?300 for it with the laser detector. I would certainally suggest this route as they do appear to be a bit more common on ebay now and if you have a genuine seller there should be no problems asking for the serial number and then you can check it's history with Morpheous direst by phoning them.

One thing abou tthe laser unit though is the fact that it does seem to false alarm a lot. In the storms last week it was going off for lightening and it also goes off for flashing lights such as Police cars and roadworks with becons.

I just need to get mine plummed in now and get my radar unit attached to it. At the minute I have everything sat on the dash and it's a right mess! The display unit itself is so small that I think I am going to have it mounted in the binnacle. You do have to be a bit careful placing the screen though as it can actch the sunlight (when there is some!) and it does make it a little difficult to use.

Not sure where abouts you are but if you are somewhere near Marlow, Bucks then by all means give me a shout and I can show you the unit working!

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that Chris...

I was just speaking to GaryM on MSN and he recommended the Origin b2 (he has one) so after discussing the price difference, he told me that he got his for ?375 which made it a lot more interesting.

So, I've ordered one from the same place he got his from!

?381 inc Special Delivery.

?300 was very cheap for yours! I'm impressed.

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got mine this morning!

Chucked it all together to test it, then drove to work...

Plugged in the laser thingy at luchtime...

Did the full stealth install tonight!

I'm WELL impressed with it!

Photos of install to follow.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I bought an Origin B2 a couple of months ago and am well impressed with it. The only gripes I have are a) sometimes loses connection on bumpy roads, b) takes ages to pick up satellites when moving and c) it rattles[:(]

I only paid ?359 brand new for mine too[;)][^]

·
Registered
299 Posts
Was that a special offer? Claire, could you PM me with details? I've seen them going for between 350 and 380 brand new.

·
OldSkool Crew
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got mine for ?381 delivered next day (ordered at 16:45, received at 08:00!)

?359 is CHEAP! Did you buy from a registered Origin Dealer?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I got it from an authorised dealer off Ebay. He's not got any for sale at the moment, but here is a link to a second car installation kit he's selling: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1498&item=5714340709&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

If you e-mail him and ask him if he has any Origins I'm sure he'd be happy to oblige! It was the cheapest I could find anywhere, and being fairly local to me I went to pick it up and had it immediately[:D]

I bought mine as a "Buy it Now" but looking through his feedback other people have bought them off him as an auction and have been getting them for ?300-?315!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
This is where I bought two from through work and where Josh bought his from.

www.radar-detector-shop.co.uk/products/origin_b2.htm

They will do them for ?375 though + ?6.00 next day delivery.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
RoadPilot Micro for me (awaiting the laser upgrade)

However for those who are interested in the OriginB2 you can plumb the Target LRC100 Jammer directly into it..removing the need for the LED and speaker installation

www.mobilecentre.co.uk

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Quote: posted by bigburd on 11/08/2004 21:22:18

However for those who are interested in the OriginB2 you can plumb the Target LRC100 Jammer directly into it..removing the need for the LED and speaker installation

Which is exactly what I have done though I do intend to wire it independantly of the B2 and install the speaker and toggle switch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts