Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just spoken at length to Adam at AmD, I'm hoping that an amicable and satisfactory solution will be forthcoming shortly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good for you mate. I hope it will work out for you. The problem with many tuning companies like AMD is that they think they can walk on water but really how hard is it to put a bit of software on a car or to put the right gearbox mount on. I have been to many tuning companies and the bests ones to go for are the ones, which are not money hungry and that, have true love for the cars they work on.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

The power of forums is truly underestimated as I wont go to AMD

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
Gary, what a sad state of affairs - i really feel for you. Like you say, they seem to have lost interest because any repairs will be a cost to them as they will be doing it effectively FOC ( although they would have made a few quid from you over the last 5 years )

But a business should not forget that they are only as good as their last job - and the best form of advertising is customer recommendation. As you are a member of numerous forums, they may be losing a lot of custom - maybe AMD can afford to and don't give two hoots. I know a few members here have shyed away from AMD pending your above posting.

Anyway, instruct your solicitor to request that AMD get your car what you consider roadworthy ( especially given the 40K you've spent with them ) and hit 'em it if they don't budge

Good Luck

Damian

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I would do the same if I was in that position.

It's a difficult situation because of your close relationship with the
AMD crew but at the end of the day, you are still the customer and
business is business - '...not making any money' pretty much sums up
their customer service attitude. The power of the forums and
backup from your lawyers, RS4 owners etc will make AMD smell the coffee.

Keep us posted n good luck mate.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Great customer service eh? So they don't do a proper job in the first
place, after charging extortionate amounts of money, then when it goes
wrong they aren't interested in fixing it cos it wont make them money.
Their attitude sounds like a recipe for financial suicide. Its not like
its only your car this has happened to either so I wonder just how many
others get put to the back of the queue because its not making them
huge piles of cash?

·
Registered
518 Posts
That really is a depressing story Gary.

You seem to be addressing the situation in a very professional and calm manner, which must be extremely difficult given the circumstances. I really hope that this course of action is successful and you get what you want from it.

I must agree with others that it is unwise to underestimate the power of an internet forum, especially the scope of all VAG related forums. It appears in this situation AMD have not helped their reputation at all. - If word of mouth is said to be the best form of marketing, then negative feedback will have even more destructive consequences for a company's reputation.

I really wish you all the best for the future. Dragging a company through the courts will be a long, hard fought and stressful ride. I just hope that you gain some form of justice from it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Wow,

That made for good and bad reading. Good as it confirmed my thoughts on AmD as a money making machine. Bad being the part about your ex fiancee, the money spent and the fact they don't care about your car [:(] Its a bloody shame. I read the part about the gearbox mount in an old post and it struck me as sheer incompetance(sp?).

So was it the stock fuel pump they used? or the 225one to match the engine? If it was stock for the sake of them saving maybe ?150 on an inline pump that is unreal.

So has the engine been stripped down yet to find what needs replacing?

What i would do Gary is............create that shitstorm! Its one thing to hear a bad report about a company but that is truely shocking.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Sound like AmD think they are beyond us all now, me thinks the name has got bigger than there heads, what a total waste of time and 40K.!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

and unless the ex was a total stunner...... <o:p></o:p>

I know i took the Mickey out of the look of ya car years ago (corsa boy) but its technical spec always inspired me, but after hearing how bad one of the top (so called) tuning workshops has made the whole experience then it kind pisses on ya bonfire.<o:p></o:p>

<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Gary</st1:place></st1:City> i think you should get them to return the full amount or get them to buy it off you for a pricely sum. To say your car has been on the road for 8 months out of 5 years, if you do the math?s you could have probably walked quicker! <o:p></o:p>

We should all boycott AmD, personally i have never dealt with them. Always found them up there ***'s with price and specs. i mean who takes two second hand rear track arms, cuts them in half, bolts them back together again and then charges you ?300 for the pleasure..... Losers.<o:p></o:p>

from memory there reputation was build on there chipping and rolling road technology, after years of looking for the perfect ecu map i have come to learn ( probably rather cynically ) that there are only a hand full of real maps and they are all around 99% the same..... Most of the variations come from how good the car was in stock condition and how tight the original parameters where on the ecu in the first place.<o:p></o:p>

<st1:City><st1:place>Gary</st1:place></st1:City> don?t know if you travel to get ya work done but there?s a good place in Queensbury (west <st1:place>Yorkshire</st1:place>) called the racing line seen him rebuild a few RS4 engines and also convert S4 into RS4 etc etc.....<o:p></o:p>

ps. sorry for the spelling mistakes and bad grammar as i still have not found a cure for being thick......<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
What would you do?
Gary, i know it is hard, but i think that you have gone about things in the correct manner i.e ultimatum then legal proceedings.

All i can say, is that i sincerely wish you all the best in getting things sorted out, in the manner that you wish.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ask for your money back? Might be worth it just to see the look on Mr B's face anyway..

Hope this works out and you regain some enthusiasm for you car..

I guess you give them the opportunity to fix it, if not take it elsewhere and present them the bill?

sucks about your ex too.. sorry to read that

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Very bad form indeed!!! I pray this mess gets sorted for you mate!!

As for AMD, since I purchased my GTI many moons ago, I have always been told never to go there!! seems the advice was true!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
It seems crazy for AmD to adopt this attitude. I can understand them ignoring an ignorant newbie who the forums do not trust. However, I think they are foolish to ignore and treat so poorly a customer who has handed over great sums of money and knows what they are on about. Underestimating what is written on a forum is a serious mistake to make. I believe that a forum can make or break a company very easily. Just from the original thread where no details were posted many people said they would stay away from AmD because of this. Imagine what the effect could be spread over lots of forums. The tuning world is not actually that big, yes they will get some custom from the fancy adverts they have in magazines, but I would bet that at least 75% of people will go onto a forum to investigate tuning and companies that offer the service before parting with any hard earned cash.

I think that for every one customer you piss off you need 10 to say how great your services are just to keep your reputation as it is. On this forum certainly I think there a 10 to 1 against AmD. That is a scary proposition.

Even if AmD are completely in the right, you should always ensure the customer is happy, or at least not wanting to take you to court.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Gary,

Sounds like your apparent friendship, trust and patience have been broken by these guys, above all they have wasted a lot of your time, money and as you said numbed your enthusiasm for, what is obviously a labour of love, as are all of ours.

They obviously have a total disregard for loyalty towards their best customers, so god help their lesser customers. Hopefully they will read this and realise that these forums have far greater reaches than they anticipate and I guess they will be seeing far less custom as a result of your mistreatment.

Wish you all the success in sorting this out mate, Good Luck.

Wayne.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Sorry for the long post, and sorry if it looks a bit harsh on you Gary, in places, its not meant to, and I am sure I speak for us all here in that you very much have mine and everyone else's sympathy here. But I am not sure all the blame lies at AMD's door to be honest.

They should fix your car, if its clear that they are responsible for the failure. As its not yet diagnosed though, the failure I mean, how do you know if its their fault? Did you ever order the fuel pump? Is it that threy should have fitted one cos you ordered one, and they didn't, or is it just that they should have fitted one as you charged them with the task of modding the car and they should know it needed one? were you driving it when it blew, did you know it did not have the big fuel pump on? Did it show fuel stravation problems on the rollers at all?

All I know is that with my limited experience of modding 18T's I know roughly what injectors are safe for what power, and I know from a conversation a long time ago at Jabba, that they fit the uprated fuel pump (not regulator) to any of their IHI stuff that is making serious power (330+).

But surely, Gary (devils advocate) as someone who has been through all the many stages of modding the one car (different engines, turbos etc), you have to accept that when you (with AMD collectively) push things as far as you have, things are going to break, and you are going to find weak point after weak point, (as you cure or prevent one thing, you move the problem along to the next weak point? Not sure AMD are really responsible for thigs like that, you have asked them to more than double the power of your car, to be fair, there are obvious things that they should reasonably know may need replacing or uprating, but they will not be able to foresee everything that will go wrong. That is the whole point of "development" and you state that has been what your car has been part of. As for the gearbox mount........if you mean the tin strap thing fiar point, but if it was the massive ally casting thing that broke, I am not sure how you would uprate that thing, its enormous!

So yes, they need to fix the car, or give it you back. Realistically, they should diagnose the problem and cause of failure and if possible agree who is to pay for the damage and repair. If they are unwilling, you have the option to remove the car and get it diagnosed and fixed elsewhere, or pay them to do it and then recover your costs from them if they are at fault.

I would be wary of trying to stir up too much. It does not sound like they react well to having a gun held to their heads. it sounds like 90% of your dealings with them has been based on the personal relationship that you developed with them, and when that was good, your were happy (or happier). Maybe that is the approach you should now take, try to build the relationship again. It may be difficult or impossible due to the employee being with your ex now, but it may still be the best idea. I would also say that the fact you have been away form the place for so long will not help you. Out of sight out of mind etc, also letters, e mails etc can be easily taken the wrong way, a personal visit may smooth things over.

Have to say Gary, I feel sorry for you and the situation you find yourself in, but you have defended AMD with vigour in the past, and been dismissive of other tuning companies and their efforts. You chose AMD, you spent your cash with them and to be fair if you have spent 40k over five years, on a few engines, at least 2 BIG turbos etc, and they car has only been "roadworthy for 8 months", why did you keep going back wallet in hand........? Did the catalogue of problems that have obviously plagued your car for it to be off the road for 75% of the time not suggest that they were not quite as good as you thought? Maybe your personal relationship clouded your judgement?

When I looked to get a 1.8T and when I took delivey of it, I rang round and visited all the tuners to see what I could get done by whom. I very soon sized AMD up, and I used AMD a lot back when Geoff had the country garage at Oddington in 1990. The Bicester operation is no where near the same, I did not get the warm fuzzy feeling of trust that I used to get when Geoff did my old Fiesta on the rollers, and I just didn't fancy spending my cash there. After more phone calls etc, I visited Jabba one Saturday morning, and found a bunch of people like me! Enthusiasts, normal everyday people, knowlegable but not poncy with it, and instantly felt at ease at spending money with them. My point is that you must have felt similarly comfortable with AMD in the past, if you have llost that, maybe try to get it back, if not, I ma not sure you will ever get a satisfactory conclusion to the problem.

Surely you have to accept responsibility for the situation you are now in? Hope that does not sound harsh, its not meant to. I hope you get it sorted, but to be honest, I think if you start going through courts and threatening legal actions, it may be too late to sort it ammicably. You may even find if it does end in court, your defense of AMD on forums in the past will go against you. They will maintain your were happy with their work etc, and to be fair they would be right too, you WERE happy with them.

Threats of internet forum bashing etc will surely only serve to damage your case and credibility and will certainly mean you will never get an amicable solution to the problem. It may even make them raise you an invoice for storage for 5 years!

I do hope you get some resolution to this. Have you considered just taking the car back and getting someone else to look at it. May be worth a few hundred quid of invenstigation work, just to at least start the ball rolling? But if things have just come to this head and the course of action you are considering taking has even the slightest thing to do with your ex getting together with one of their staff, I'd be very cautious. It may end in an awful lot more tears than no doubt there have been already.

Very best wishes to you, Gary, and the very best of luck too. My opinions here should be seen as a little bit "devil's advocate", please dont think I am having a "go". You're a nice fella and I do hope you get something sorted, as this situation is clearly very upsetting for you. But do keep (as you always have) a very level head. I would hate to see some thread form somone at AMD "The truth about Gary H!" [;)]

·
Registered
566 Posts
Was considering AmD as an option for servicing, maintenance etc when the warranty on my car expired. Won't consider them further now...... What a total lack of disrespect to screw your car over and then do the same to your ex..... I hope all the forums you are registered on, Gary, show the same apathy as we have.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good post and I respect your honesty.

Without saying too much yet, getting the car roadworthy over the last few years hasn't been a priority - but now I just want it finished. Having had minimal contact with them over the last year is inexcusable - why should I have to hound them?

The situation is upsetting because of the friends that I have lost there, but ultimately, I've done nothing wrong. I wanted a 360bhp car, AmD said they could do it. I wasn't fussed at the component level - that's what I was paying for - a total package.

I'm still hoping for an amicable solution and hope that once it's back I'll re-kindle the passion I once had for the car - but I hope you can understand why the fire has been all but extuinguished.

It's not my intention to drag this out into the open (and TBH, under advice, everything mentioned so far really is an abbreviated version) but there's so much wee-taking you can take - the classic "is it off the road again?" has simply become too much. I have no reason to defend them, and frankly don't know why I did with so much vigour in the first place.

That's all I'd like to say on the matter at the moment and I will of course keep you updated.

Yes it's a sad state of affairs, and as I said I'm still holding out for an amicable solution...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Sorry for the long post, and sorry if it looks a bit harsh on you Gary, in places, its not meant to, and I am sure I speak for us all here in that you very much have mine and everyone else's sympathy here. But I am not sure all the blame lies at AMD's door to be honest.

They should fix your car, if its clear that they are responsible for the failure. As its not yet diagnosed though, the failure I mean, how do you know if its their fault? Did you ever order the fuel pump? Is it that threy should have fitted one cos you ordered one, and they didn't, or is it just that they should have fitted one as you charged them with the task of modding the car and they should know it needed one? were you driving it when it blew, did you know it did not have the big fuel pump on? Did it show fuel stravation problems on the rollers at all?

All I know is that with my limited experience of modding 18T's I know roughly what injectors are safe for what power, and I know from a conversation a long time ago at Jabba, that they fit the uprated fuel pump (not regulator) to any of their IHI stuff that is making serious power (330+).

But surely, Gary (devils advocate) as someone who has been through all the many stages of modding the one car (different engines, turbos etc), you have to accept that when you (with AMD collectively) push things as far as you have, things are going to break, and you are going to find weak point after weak point, (as you cure or prevent one thing, you move the problem along to the next weak point? Not sure AMD are really responsible for thigs like that, you have asked them to more than double the power of your car, to be fair, there are obvious things that they should reasonably know may need replacing or uprating, but they will not be able to foresee everything that will go wrong. That is the whole point of "development" and you state that has been what your car has been part of. As for the gearbox mount........if you mean the tin strap thing fiar point, but if it was the massive ally casting thing that broke, I am not sure how you would uprate that thing, its enormous!

So yes, they need to fix the car, or give it you back. Realistically, they should diagnose the problem and cause of failure and if possible agree who is to pay for the damage and repair. If they are unwilling, you have the option to remove the car and get it diagnosed and fixed elsewhere, or pay them to do it and then recover your costs from them if they are at fault.

I would be wary of trying to stir up too much. It does not sound like they react well to having a gun held to their heads. it sounds like 90% of your dealings with them has been based on the personal relationship that you developed with them, and when that was good, your were happy (or happier). Maybe that is the approach you should now take, try to build the relationship again. It may be difficult or impossible due to the employee being with your ex now, but it may still be the best idea. I would also say that the fact you have been away form the place for so long will not help you. Out of sight out of mind etc, also letters, e mails etc can be easily taken the wrong way, a personal visit may smooth things over.

Have to say Gary, I feel sorry for you and the situation you find yourself in, but you have defended AMD with vigour in the past, and been dismissive of other tuning companies and their efforts. You chose AMD, you spent your cash with them and to be fair if you have spent 40k over five years, on a few engines, at least 2 BIG turbos etc, and they car has only been "roadworthy for 8 months", why did you keep going back wallet in hand........? Did the catalogue of problems that have obviously plagued your car for it to be off the road for 75% of the time not suggest that they were not quite as good as you thought? Maybe your personal relationship clouded your judgement?

When I looked to get a 1.8T and when I took delivey of it, I rang round and visited all the tuners to see what I could get done by whom. I very soon sized AMD up, and I used AMD a lot back when Geoff had the country garage at Oddington in 1990. The Bicester operation is no where near the same, I did not get the warm fuzzy feeling of trust that I used to get when Geoff did my old Fiesta on the rollers, and I just didn't fancy spending my cash there. After more phone calls etc, I visited Jabba one Saturday morning, and found a bunch of people like me! Enthusiasts, normal everyday people, knowlegable but not poncy with it, and instantly felt at ease at spending money with them. My point is that you must have felt similarly comfortable with AMD in the past, if you have llost that, maybe try to get it back, if not, I ma not sure you will ever get a satisfactory conclusion to the problem.

Surely you have to accept responsibility for the situation you are now in? Hope that does not sound harsh, its not meant to. I hope you get it sorted, but to be honest, I think if you start going through courts and threatening legal actions, it may be too late to sort it ammicably. You may even find if it does end in court, your defense of AMD on forums in the past will go against you. They will maintain your were happy with their work etc, and to be fair they would be right too, you WERE happy with them.

Threats of internet forum bashing etc will surely only serve to damage your case and credibility and will certainly mean you will never get an amicable solution to the problem. It may even make them raise you an invoice for storage for 5 years!

I do hope you get some resolution to this. Have you considered just taking the car back and getting someone else to look at it. May be worth a few hundred quid of invenstigation work, just to at least start the ball rolling? But if things have just come to this head and the course of action you are considering taking has even the slightest thing to do with your ex getting together with one of their staff, I'd be very cautious. It may end in an awful lot more tears than no doubt there have been already.

Very best wishes to you, Gary, and the very best of luck too. My opinions here should be seen as a little bit "devil's advocate", please dont think I am having a "go". You're a nice fella and I do hope you get something sorted, as this situation is clearly very upsetting for you. But do keep (as you always have) a very level head. I would hate to see some thread form somone at AMD "The truth about Gary H!" [;)]
I don't think thats too fair Simch, If you paid for a jabba kit to be mapped and installed would you expect it to run lean? No, so why is it ok to think AmD didn't know?

That engine is not on its limits, there are people in America running over 500whp with less problems than Gary has had. Infact his car should be more than safe as its a built engine.

The 6 speed gearbox was fitted with a 5 speed mount which is noticeably smaller. Now it only takes a bit of common sense that if you use a 6 speed box you use the beefier 6 speed mount too?If i can figure that out why can't a 'leading tuner'?

Gary obviously paid for a complete engine package which he has never recieved, he paid a premium to AmD because the work should've been done perfect.

It wasn't, on more than one occasion.

The engine / work was obviously warrantied so why take it elsewhere till that runs out?

For 40k of investment i'd expect nothing less than absolute perfection.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hope you manage to get this wrapped up with a conclusion in your favour as this has been dragging on for far too long. If your car had an engine engineered to match its looks and gadgets then i'd would be finished IMO and hopefully you would be able to enjoy it.

Good luck to getting the car back and burning some rubber again!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts