Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had two bottles delivered today, many thanks to Alex at Serious Performance for the speedy delivery - highly recommended [Y]

If the weathers not too bad over the weekend I'm going to give SSR 3 a go on the bonnet. I'm hoping this stuff is going to sort out the problems I've got with scratches that Sonus SFX1 wouldn't touch.

Will post up pics to show the work as I'm keen to get things like this documented for all to see [Y]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Had two bottles delivered today, many thanks to Alex at Serious Performance for the speedy delivery - highly recommended [Y]

If the weathers not too bad over the weekend I'm going to give SSR 3 a go on the bonnet. I'm hoping this stuff is going to sort out the problems I've got with scratches that Sonus SFX1 wouldn't touch.

Will post up pics to show the work as I'm keen to get things like this documented for all to see [Y]
I got some SSR2 mark. However, it was hand only as don't have a porter. It was quite good, took some of the depth out of the swirls, though it might be better with an electric instead of elbow grease !

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

Be keen to see how this goes [Y]

By the way if it doesn't have much of an effect try using 4' pads from what i've read they are alot more effective as they create more heat.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Good luck Mark!

On my black car I needed to use a less abrasive one as well as the 2.5 dulled the paintwork.

Don't forget to use it on a nice slow speed to get rid of the marks.

J.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Marriedblonde,

The slow speed may be the cause of the marks using the 2.5. Using a faster speed will work the polish quicker and get it to break down faster and more effectively, plus the faster speed will generate more heat needed for the polish to work more effectively.

I normally use 2.5 at speed 5 with a polishing pad for 'normal' polishing, and speed 6 for actually removing scratches and heavy swirls.

Hope this helps :).

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the late update.

Reet, my bonnet was full of swirls and micro scratches. I first used 2.5 and it reduced some swirls but didn't touch any of the scratches. So I cleaned the buffer pad and went at it with some 3. It's coarse stuff. As pointed out by Marriedblonde it did dull the top coat as it flats out, so I had to use some SFX1 to bring back the shine (I knew there was a use for that stuff lol!).

Result? The bonnet is swirl free. But it didn't touch the scratches..... [:S]

I can't feel the scratches with my finger nail so they should have at least been reduced, but they weren't. They're only visible from certain angles but I know they are there!!!

I suppose the next step will be to look at wet sanding the scratches....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good to hear it's helping Mark.

The thing to remember is that it will take a few goes to keep reducing the scratches but, it will definately help. One thing I'm going to be doing soon is 4" pads as these help concentrate the PC's pressure and therefore make the products even more effective at their job.

Another trick is to pur a dab of product on your finger and work it along the scratch to help reduce the way it appears. You may get a bit of marring doing this but a quick once over with the 2.5 should then clean that up.

Any problems etc give me a shout :).

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Alex. I was unsure whether to keep going at the scratches as I was a bit aprehensive about damaging the paint!

4" pads - would be interested in these as I need to do my Rover, some pretty bad scracthes on that and I'll need something heavy duty to sort it out.

Will we need a different counter weight and head for the 4" pads?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Your absolutely right.... Take it easy with the SSR 3 given how abrasive it is.... The 2.5 you can be a little more carefree with given how quickly it breaks down and finishes etc. Common sense is the ultimate factor but you can certainly go at it . the scratch will diminish before anything else happens, and as long as you do short bursts and keep an eye on it, it will be fine.

From what I'm told you don't need another counter weight..... I've got mine arriving this week to test so if all's good I'll hopefully have them in stock within two weeks :)...... My 620 will also be the test mule :D

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hey Alex, nice to see you finally posting a bit :) Its been a while matey. My clearkote stuff is still going well BTW.

Tabs, keep up the good work you PC freek! ;)

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Your absolutely right.... Take it easy with the SSR 3 given how abrasive it is.... The 2.5 you can be a little more carefree with given how quickly it breaks down and finishes etc. Common sense is the ultimate factor but you can certainly go at it . the scratch will diminish before anything else happens, and as long as you do short bursts and keep an eye on it, it will be fine.

From what I'm told you don't need another counter weight..... I've got mine arriving this week to test so if all's good I'll hopefully have them in stock within two weeks :)...... My 620 will also be the test mule :D

Cheers.
Any update Alex? I have some scratches that need attending too and one of these 4" pads might do the trick...

J.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm just waiting for the supplier to get back to me and get them over here. Should be around 7 - 10 days and I should have something available :).

Oxford... All's well thanks. How long till the MKV is on the driveway???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts