Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just phoned the VW guy. I was going to go down in person at the weekend but kenl's post saying 'sooner rather than later' made sense. He said he'd have to ask someone but he didnt think itd be possible. 2 mins later he phones back and says they've been added on no probs and hes also given me a build date of about May ("latest June"). I reckon itll probably be June or July before I take delivery. Can't wait now!

Ok, if anyone has any other suggestions of options etc that I can add... keep them to your self - I just spent another ?725 in 30 seconds. Thanks for the input folks. [:D]

(A few days ago I started asking opinions on xenons as I hadnt specced them on my new GTi. I asked my stealer and he said that it was too late to spec them. I ordered on Fri 14th Jan (week and a half ago) and he said that orders cant be changed. He said that an order can be cancelled and resubmitted but said that they would still be left with that car that I ordered intitially (even if production hadnt began). Does this sound crazy to anyone else. It seems to me that he cant be bothered changing my order. I REALLY want xenons now but this guy says it cant be done. I noticed that you added a MF VW directly once I get a confirmation code or something? Thanks in advance.)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Teach him a lesson and cancel the order, then walk away and find yourself another dealer, I'm sure he'll be changing the order ASAP.

If it's just a case of adding an option to an un-built car, I really can't see it being a problem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I will just have to insist that I need this option and see what happens. I dont really want to be a nuisance but im spending like 23k as it is. I cant believe VW are making it harder for me to add expensive options[V]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It depends where the car is in the build process - that's not just it actually being built but also includes some time before they start screwing it together.

Someone explained it the other day but it's something like once the order is confirmed it can't be changed. It is the same with the new MINI, even though it only takes about 2 days to build the car you are not allowed to make changes within a month of the built.

What week is your car due to be built or delivered to you?

If you take your order elsewhere you will probably have a longer wait and a lost deposit.

The Halogen lights are pretty good anyway.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. Apart from the initial confirmation (5mins after placing order) there has been no feedback from VW. I have no confirmation number etc, and certainly no build date yet. I'll maybe talk to another dealer and try and figure this out.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I ordered my car last June, I decided appx 2 weeks later to add the Winter Pack. The dealer said that this was possible, but that my build date would slip a bit. So I added the WP and the build date slipped by 2-3 weeks.

It was not straight forward getting this done and the Salesman had to confirm this with the dealer Manager first.

I think the main problem is that your car will already be added to a sales document for the dealer, they can then use this for bonuses etc from VW. If your car is now changed and slips to another month, it may be messing up their sales figures.

If I were you I would definitely go for it though. You are spending alot of money and will regret it every time you turn the headlights on.......

·
Registered
285 Posts
Do not under any circumstances accept that dealer crap - demand that you get the xenons or your taking your business elsewhere. It stinks of him being too lazy to want to do anything about it, if you havent put down a deposit then walk away from it. If you have put down a deposit speak to the manager, owner - somebody higher up than that monkey.

You are spending a serious amount of money and you should get the car you want.

ahhhhhhhhh that feels better now [^]

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote: posted by simfin on 25/01/2005 08:15:47

When I ordered my car last June, I decided appx 2 weeks later to add the Winter Pack. The dealer said that this was possible, but that my build date would slip a bit. So I added the WP and the build date slipped by 2-3 weeks.

It was not straight forward getting this done and the Salesman had to confirm this with the dealer Manager first.

I think the main problem is that your car will already be added to a sales document for the dealer, they can then use this for bonuses etc from VW. If your car is now changed and slips to another month, it may be messing up their sales figures.

If I were you I would definitely go for it though. You are spending alot of money and will regret it every time you turn the headlights on.......

Same with me. Ordered in June, decided to change the spec after two weeks; dealer told me I'd rung just before the "lock in" date, so he could change the order, but it would mean a slip in delivery from Sept to Oct.

I don't see why they can't add Xenon's. It might been a week or so extra to wait, but thats a small price to pay for the spec you want [;)]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The worst that should happen is the order goes back later...I added stuff to my car for nearly 2 weeks after it had been ordered.

They don't get left with any "second car" once you change the order and if they did they could still sell a new GTI for Gods sake!!

Cheek of him!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I aksed to add something to the car i am waiting for, and couldnt as it had been confirmed... this was 2 weeks b4 the build.

But as far as i know as long as its not confirmed u will be ok. Just give them hell!

PS As said the xenons are great! [:D]

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys, thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to insist on xenons. Needed some reassurance that I wasnt crazy. I didnt want to seem like a really akward get but I am spending a lot of cash. Probably speak to him tomorrow or maybe wait until the weekend.

Wish me luck and thanks[:D]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Glad u got em sorted mate!

No point having a car that u wish u had picked an option on!

Its gonna be a long wait 4 ya [:)]

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by DirtyDogIRL on 25/01/2005 08:44:17

Do not under any circumstances accept that dealer crap - demand that you get the xenons or your taking your business elsewhere. It stinks of him being too lazy to want to do anything about it, if you havent put down a deposit then walk away from it. If you have put down a deposit speak to the manager, owner - somebody higher up than that monkey.

You are spending a serious amount of money and you should get the car you want.

ahhhhhhhhh that feels better now [^]

exactly, which is the whole point. No play, no pay.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm so happy, I used to look at pics and think "I wonder if the non-xenon lights will cheapen the look of the car". To be honest I think the normal halogens are fine but I'm trying to make this a car that I can keep for at least 3 years (maybe 5). I just hope i can afford this car. It might get a little tight at work for a few months around aug/sep time but things should pickup.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
He really was talking bollox if you are not getting the car till june. I thought you must have been pretty close to delivery.

Glad you are getting what you wanted[:)]

I'm about to save you some money though [;)], you don't need the parking sensors; what do you think the big black valance is for [^]

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LMAO at kenl. Gotta love that cheap plastic.

You scratch it - who cares?

You dent - it who cares?

You rip half of it off in a fender bender - polyfilla and dulux, who cares! [:D]

Seriously though, I thought that the rear valance does'nt look too bad with black paint.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts