Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I have another problem. I got the oil warning light flashing and it beeps 3 times. Always after driving for a while and when it starts it goes on and off. I had the oil and oil filter changed recently, It happend few times before that but not regularly. Now it happens more often. There is enough oil in, no leaks detected.

Any idea what it could be? Where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks a lot for help

·
NooNoo
9,483 Posts
Oil pickup blocked. Drop sump, clean and re-assemble. It could be the sensor or loom but some engine types are prone to pick up blockages (poorly serviced 1.8Ts).

What is the oil change history like?

I would be extremely careful right now.

Reactions: pixo and Evil

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil pickup blocked. Drop sump, clean and re-assemble. It could be the sensor or loom but some engine types are prone to pick up blockages (poorly serviced 1.8Ts).

What is the oil change history like?

I would be extremely careful right now.
Oil is 2 weeks old, happened few times before but after the oil change its quite regular. Am I going to need a new gasket for the sump? When you say clean, how far are we talking? 😄 And I am going to need new oil and new oil filter right? Is it easy or should I take it to the service?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Oil is 2 weeks old, happened few times before but after the oil change its quite regular. Am I going to need a new gasket for the sump? When you say clean, how far are we talking? 😄 And I am going to need new oil and new oil filter right? Is it easy or should I take it to the service?
You'll need new oil and some sealant (there's a specific type for gaskets)... filter will be ok.
The oil pickup can be removed and cleaned once the sump is off. Its a pipe with a strainer on the end. The strainer gets a bit clogged.

Have a search on YouTube, there's probably some videos to give you an idea of what needs doing and whether it's something you fancy having a bash at (mine will be going to the garage)

·
NooNoo
9,483 Posts
Like everything, this may not be the cause, but I have been around 1.8Ts for along time and never heard of a pressure sensor, loom or pump failure. I have read many many post re the pick up / strainer being clogged.

Mine has never been cleaned and I have never dropped the sump but oil changes have been around 5k miles since new (1998 first and only owner). If I were to see an oil pressure issue the sump would be dropped ASAP for inspection, if nothing else than for peace of mind after 24 years.

Reactions: pixo and Evil

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Like everything, this may not be the cause, but I have been around 1.8Ts for along time and never heard of a pressure sensor, loom or pump failure. I have read many many post re the pick up / strainer being clogged.

Mine has never been cleaned and I have never dropped the sump but oil changes have been around 5k miles since new (1998 first and only owner). If I were to see an oil pressure issue the sump would be dropped ASAP for inspection, if nothing else than for peace of mind after 24 years.
I think he has a Mk4 1.6 16V.....
Symptoms sounded like oil pickup but I wasn't sure the 1.6 was prone to that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Defo the pick up/strainer is clogged if it flashes at you. If it only comes on at start up, then it's the oil sensor failure.
It pops on and off after about 15 mins of driving so yes, thank you, i will have someone to have a look at that, dont trust myself enough. 😄

·
Registered
Golf V6 4Motion BDE
23 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Had been driving on the motorway for about 4 hours then once I'd come back down to 30mph speeds I had the oil warning light flash for only about 3 seconds, it came back on about 10 min later. Dropping the sump revealed the pickup to be blocked. Tried to get as much sludge out as possible with brake cleaner then I removed the whole pump assembly and put it in my ultrasonic cleaner to free off the stuck internal sludge. That seemed to do the trick for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all, so I have it serviced, they changed the oil, cleaned it with the sump off and its like nothing was done, still the same problem, any other ideas?

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,550 Posts
Considering it read like you got a garage to service/remove the sump, you wouldn't need tools.

You're wasting your time until you verify pressure. If it's genuinely low, that motor is for the bin anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also I think its temperature related, maybe. This morning I had to drive, it was freezing last night so it took about 15 min for it to pop up. When I drove back it was on in less than 5 mins. But at first run it disappeared after my visit at petrol station and did not come back. On my way back ot was on and off again.

So I gambled and changed the oil pressure switch later today. I probably needed to do that anyway since the whole thing with the plug included was covered in oil and im pretty sure thats not good. It also came off a bit easier than I thought. So I cleaned everything put a new one in tight and done a 30 min test run and no oil light warning this time. I will try tomorrow morning again, wish me luck 😋

·
VR6 GT35 4mo
11,550 Posts
Not sure what engine you have, but the 1.8ts do genuinely have oil pressure issues. The sensors can and do fail, but oil pressure issues will descimate a motor very very quickly - hence my comment to test it before just trying random things that might help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure what engine you have, but the 1.8ts do genuinely have oil pressure issues. The sensors can and do fail, but oil pressure issues will descimate a motor very very quickly - hence my comment to test it before just trying random things that might help.
1.6 16v, would that amazon one I posted do the job?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts