Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil got a bit low (but not so low as to damage anything) and the oil pressure low warning lamp lit up like a beacon. Fine, i thought, time for a full oil and filter change.

Proceeded as planned, but the low pressure warning still prevails. I got wifey to call in RAC, who checked it out, they said the pressure was fine and advised taking it to VW to get it checked out.

Has anybody else had the same sort of problem, and found a cure?

Is it possible that some crap from the bottom of the sump may have found its way to the pressure sender valve, as i let it get low on oil?

Engine (1.8T - ARZ) sounds fine and purr's like a good'un, so i'm a bit stumped - any ideas?

Thanks [Y]

·
Registered
69 Posts
i am having this trouble with my 98' AGU but havent find a cure as yet, ive had the sump off twice once to check the pick up pipe, there were a few particles of something in there but not much, the second was to replace the oil pump which has the oil pressure relief valve on it, i thought it was this so replace that and it still flashes after 20 minutes of driving,

ive replaced the oil pressure switch twice and still no joy

and suggestions ?

·
Registered
811 Posts
can i advise you to check you rocker cover is on tight (no bolts loose etc).. my car was going threw oil really badly, kept getting warning saying STOP low oil pressure...after months of trying to understand what was happening found out that one side of my rocker was loose oil vapor was escaping and it ruined one of my oil breather pipes!!

The reason my my rocker was loose was by a garage who was supposed to service, but didnt do a full service (even tho i paid for one) didnt find out till a few months later, think they only changed a air filter!!!!

But i recon they sabotarged it so i would come back and give them more money for a so called "repair"... dont think soooooo!!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
yeah i did that yesterday after reading anther post you or someone alse had written and all was tight and secure

i keep checking the oil to see if it goes down and it doesnt, it doesnt use any at all, its always on the same part of the dipstick

·
Registered
69 Posts
ive changed the oil pressure sensor twice as they gave mr the wrong onr in the first place, could there be another sensor or something that i dont know about and would cause it to go off, i know that there is onlt one oil pressure sensor

you say breather pipe where about do i need to be looking ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
ive changed the oil pressure sensor twice as they gave mr the wrong onr in the first place, could there be another sensor or something that i dont know about and would cause it to go off, i know that there is onlt one oil pressure sensor
This may help

On mine the Oil Pressure light used to come on after about 20 mins of driving. This was due to the Relay Switch (part 109). If this part is also called the Oil pressure Sensor then it can't be this

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/130853/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
69 Posts
this has got to be my problem then as it happens after 20 minutes of driving around, i will get it checked out tomorrow

thanks guys, hopefully this will fix the problem

will keep you posted

·
Registered
69 Posts
another thing part 109 is this the number of the relay itself or does 109 means the part number from the stealers

will it tell me in the haynes mauual where it is in the relay fuse box under steering colum (sp)

·
Registered
182 Posts
The relay is Relay 109 - ie. the relay with number 109 written on it. The stealers should know what it is.

It's pretty easy to find underneath the steering column.

I have the exact same problem as you. Firstly started off where
the oil pressure warning would come on every time I went over a certain
amount of revs. This would improve as the engine warmed
through.

Gradually after a few oil changes it has become less of a
problem. Now it won't come on for weeks on end and then I get a
spate of it beeping away every so often - regardless of the way I
drive. I know the oil pressure is fine as I've had it checked and
I've had the oil pressure sensor has been changed. It's really
frustrating as I can't work out what the problem is. There are no
errors on VAG COM although recently the stealer said there was an
intemittent fault code on their system.

I'm not paying the ridiculous money that VW charge to get them to look
at it so I'm living with it for now until I can work out what it might
be. Will check the breather pipe and rocker cover tonight incase
there is a problem there

·
Registered
69 Posts
i looked earlier at the relays and i dont seem to have a relay with 109 written on it

i have 409, 100, 53, 377, and another 53

what can i do now

·
Registered
69 Posts
can anyone else help me with this i have a 98 1.8t agu, would the relays have different numbers on them for the different years they were made ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had a low oil pressure problem in my AUM GTI. It turned out the pick up pipe was blocked with bits of plastic broken off the tray in the sump. Why they put a plastic tray in an engine is beyond me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
the plastic tray you mean is the baffle plate, its not that on mine as i have had the sump off twice and nothing was on the pick up pipe or anything in the oil, its something else but dont know what,

it has got to be electrical but dont know what

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi . Im also having this problem on my agu engine , I have bought a oil pressure sensor but cant seem to loacate it. Could you let me know where it is so i can rule this out , cheers !

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi All,

Is your problem sorted?

I have had similar problem with my AUM at 105k the oil pump needed replacing, it started to be an intermittant fault which I saw three/foour times.

Changing the oil did initially solve the warning light which was accompanied by a big red flashing STOP. The pressure light would come at anything over something like 1,200rpm.

After removing the sump which was clean as a whistle, the inlet pipe with the gauze on was also very clean, now 6k on with a new oil pump and the no sign of that nasty oil pressure warning light.

Also the engine on a cold start is much much quieter now on a cold start than it has been for a while.

Good luck hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you help me I have this oil light problem, the car is fine according to 4 different mechanics, ive read your post and tried to find the relay switch and I don?t have a Relay 109 can you tell me why, im desperate the light and the beeping noise is really pissing me off <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype> my car is a Mk4 1.4 16v 1998

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello still having problems with my Mk4 1.4 Golf taken sump off, cleaned the siv, put 20-50 oil in, new oil filter and still the F**KIN light keeps beeping at me its like Chinese torture what do i do. is it the oil pump, i have a very tapppy sounding engine aswell almost sounds like a diesel Can anyone help

Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts