Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting my gauges professionly moulded into the apillar, but they wont touch the engine bit,.. i know how to wire up the boost, but not the oil pressure and temp.. can any1 help me?

thanks

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
1) What guages do you have?

2) Do you have the senders etc and fitting kits?

I have 42 draft guages in my car with the oil pressure relocation fitting kit and also an oil temp switch.

i fully recommend these guages for the fact that you get apsolutely everything you need.Guagues,console pod, wiring kits and full instructions.

Let me know what stuff you got and ill see if i can fish out some instructions that may help you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i jus have some light up gauges they come with fitting kits but the instructions arent too good.. ive got Oil pressure and oil temperature gauges..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i wouldnt know what they look like to be honest.. one of the oil gauges came with a gold unit that looks like it does something or other.. (sorry im a newbie it shows )

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
That sounds like the oil temp sender. You will also need a temp sender also.

The other thing to consider too is the range of your guages so that you get a sender that is correctly matched.

Let me know the make and model of the guages you have to get a better idea of what your gonna need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello,

sorry to but in on this topic, but i'm trying to figure out how to fit these too. I have the vdo oil press and temp gauges and senders. The temp sender replaces the sump drain plug. The pressure sender looks a pig to fit. Did you replace your original sender on the oil filter housing or have you still got it fitted? I also have the relocation kit. Any advice would be good.

Cheers,

Ian.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice one. It looks like i have a similar kit to you Mo.

I was thinking along the lines of having the temp sensor inplace of the sump plug and using the spare blank on the filter housing for the pressure sensor keeping the original pressure sensor in place.(possible using the relocation kit if needed)

Was it an easy job to do as it looks very cramped by the filter housing. Did you have the car on ramps and tackle it from underneath?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
This is an easy job if you have the right tools ans plenty of patience.The most time consuming bit i found was wiring up all of the guages and the perfect fit lighting.

As i was using the relocation kit i didnt have to jack her up or use ramps.

Also get yourself some PTFE/Silicone tape from your local plumbers shop to use as a sealant for your senders.

Oh make sure your engine has fully coold down before yuou start.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for your reply Mo. Did you have any problems feeding the wires through the bulkhead to the engine bay?

Did you pick up the supply for the backlight of the gauges at the headlight switch and did you connect into the supply wire using the scotchlok type crimps supplied or a soldered joint?

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains!

Thanks again.

Ian.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I had no probs feeding the wires through.Get an old coat hanger and feed from the engine bay into the cabin.Then tape the wires to the end thats exposed in the engine bay and pull the hanger into the cabin.

I used a scotch lock onto the loom for my bora vents for the light to the guages.

I used the feed from the relays for the ignition on power.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
ok to make this even easier you can actually take out your glove box.Then you can really see what to do.

You can feed the wires for your oil temp and pressure senders through the grommet on the passeger side footwell.

as suggested before, feed the coat hanger either through the engine bay or from the passenger footwell.attach the wires to the hanger from the engine bay and pull them through.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Make sure you set aside enough time to do it all.

For instance start early on a Saturday morning and you should be ok.

·
Registered
35 Posts
O.k will do. I'll get as much as possible prepared beforehand and then pick a nice weekend! I'm going to fit a front centre armrest at the same time aswell! had the gauges for a long time, just haven't got round to it yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts