Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Im looking for some info about oil level. I topped up three weeks ago to max level on the rod and today when i checked its well under the min line now, surely thats not right?

This has happened twice now. I took it to a garage and he had a quick look and couldnt see any problems, any ideas?

Thanks.

Lewis>

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
if you dont let it war up you'll end up wearing out the piston rings for one always drive with revs under say 2k (for a diesel, and say 3k ish for a petrol) untill its warmed up to operating temp (oil is 80 deg)

if you get in it from cold and floor it you'll damage the engine internals, my friend does this with his mums car and it chucks out blue smoke and uses lots of oil same 1.6 engine as yours

Ian

·
Registered
29 Posts
Find the above answer a bit amusing tbh. I drive a max of 5 miles to work a day in a 1.8 vectra. It just gets above the blue on the temp gauge every day. I have done this in the same car for nearly 3yrs. It has not used a drop of oil, and it gets revved beyond what should be considered safe as you say.

The Golf the other half drives does approx 20 miles in a trip one way on her way to work after the school run. It used loads of the recomended oil. Since i signed up i must have spent at least £70 on the stuff!

A google on the internet revealed big dis-satisfaction originating in America of its excessive oil usage and warranty claims when it was first released. Stories of piston rings fitted upside down were rife and engine re-builds were common. The solution...........move up a grade to thicker oil!

Problem solved. Lol. Worked for me an now should only cost about £20 a year when it's serviced. Not topped it for at least 5 months now and is only half way down dip stick now. Before it was every 2 1/2 weeks it needed nearly 2 litres!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts