Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for everyone; I just dropped off the GTi for it's 1st service @ 16,500 miles, and took an oil sample before I left (I like to check that the oil was actually changed during the service - in case it gets forgotten). My oil level had dropped right to the minimum mark, which shocked me initially, but on reflection I suppose that is not a high level of oil consumption for the mileage involved. Anyhow, I'll be topping up the oil every 5000 miles from now on.

I'd recommend everyone gets out now and checks the level, especially if you are on the long-life service regime.

BTW, the service will cost ?260 from VW in Kettering

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just picked up the GTi; the service was actually ?240. Thats a helluva lot of money for 5 litres of oil and a filter. Oh, and a stamp in the service book.....

Ah well, once it's done 60,000 miles and has no warranty, I guess it might make sense to do these oil changes myself, and save about ?200 per time!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Why, oh why don't people regularly check their oil level these days? [:cool:]
Can't understand that myself. Based on my weekly mileage, I check my oil level every fortnight or so. With 8k miles on the clock I've yet to put any oil in mine!!

[:)]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
After 17k miles I have not noticed any oil use. I will have wiped a good few milli-litres off the dip stick in the last 17 months though.

BTW on the service cost, I was quoted ?135 by my dealer. I will be double checking before I book it in in a month, but if this turns out to be true, I think I'll have had the cheapest first service on a long-life mkV [:)]; I'm sure it's to good to be true though [:(]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For reference, AutoHause of Ketering advised me today that they charge ?82 per hour labour rate, hence my high service bill yesterday. Seems a little high to me, I'll be going elsewhere for the next service. 

·
Registered
894 Posts
After 17k miles I have not noticed any oil use. I will have wiped a good few milli-litres off the dip stick in the last 17 months though.

BTW on the service cost, I was quoted ?135 by my dealer. I will be double checking before I book it in in a month, but if this turns out to be true, I think I'll have had the cheapest first service on a long-life mkV [:)]; I'm sure it's to good to be true though [:(]
Ken you beat me.[:)]

?142 for first service long-life on MKV. ..south of the border.

Mind you I did make sure it was booked for 0.9 hours ELSA rate to avoid any confusion otherwise it might have ended up a lot dearer.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I quote this from the Longlife Servicing 'sticky' thread as it does sound like they have charged you 1.6 hours of labour for the service instead of 0.9. Also check the amount of oil they have charged you for too, many Mk V's have less than 4 litres of oil in the engine (eg: GT TDI) but some dealers still incorrectly charge 5 litres.

The first service on all mkv's that are set to longlife is charged at 0.9, regardless if it has 11k or 18k on the clock.

The service is basically a Lube Service + pollen filter. It sounds like they have charged you for a 1st Inspection Service which is charged at 1.6 hours. This is what gets charged for Passats, Polos,MKIV Golfs that have there 1st Longlife Service but the MKV is different

I would definitly go back & check with your dealer mate.
BTW; Check your oil at least once a month.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, here is the breakdown of the invoice:

Labour: ?132 + vat

Filter: ?8.35 + vat

Plug: ?0.95 + vat

Filter: ?8.69 + vat

Oil: ?54.97 + vat (4.6 litres of Castrol Long Life)

Total: ?240.83 inc.

Now, they charge ?82.50 per hour, and ?82.5 * 1.6hours = ?132 so it looks like they error'd on the labour part, if it should have been 0.9hrs?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
They charged you too much labour and they charged you too much for oil as well slightly,the castrol 1litre bottles over the counter retail less than a tenner +vat and usually mk5 are just shy of 4 litres although i must admit i'm not sure what a GTI uses exactly,check your handbook.

·
Registered
907 Posts
One of those things...a trial and error process finding a competitvely priced dealer. Almost always VW dealer prices vary from one dealer to another.

Like you say they shouldn't have charged as much labour, and oil is pretty much how much they sell it for at VW. At least you got the Castrol SLX II eh.

·
Registered
894 Posts
They charged you too much labour and they charged you too much for oil as well slightly,the castrol 1litre bottles over the counter retail less than a tenner +vat and usually mk5 are just shy of 4 litres although i must admit i'm not sure what a GTI uses exactly,check your handbook.
The GTI does use 4.6 litres & my dealer charged ?9.44 + vat per litre for Castrol Longlife III.

As already said I would ring or go back & query the time for the labour if its the first service.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called VW head office in Milton Keynes (who's phone number is not listed on the VW.co.uk website but for reference is: 01908 679121), and they confirm that the MK5 Golf GTi 1st service should take 0.9 hour. Called AutoHaus with the bad news, and now waiting for them to call back with a response.......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts