Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New member here, picked up my new Mk5 GTI two weeks ago, and am still completely in love with it! It's a truly great combination of comfort, speed and practicality

I have a question though, I am not the most mechanically minded person so please forgive my ignorance...... When I picked up the car the dealer told me that I could only use a certain oil supplied by VW. To me this sounded suspiciously like a rip off but is it true or not? If I can use other sorts of oil which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You should have got a bottle of oil with the car in the compartment on the right hand side of the boot. I will check mine later and let you know what it is but if its the same as Audi then it should be Long Life Castrol GTX.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The engine is set for 'long life' servicing therefor it does require a certain specification of oil, its not just 'any old oil', and to be honest if its a top up bottle your after the one from the dealership isnt too bad a deal and you know its the right stuff without having to double/triple check.

I do have a list of the oil companies that make this spec of oil somewhere, when I find it I will post it up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You should have got a bottle of oil with the car in the compartment on the right hand side of the boot. I will check mine later and let you know what it is but if its the same as Audi then it should be Long Life Castrol GTX.

None of the new cars that are sold by my local dealership come with a bottle of oil? Neither the wife's Mk5 TDI nor my MK5 GTI came with any. Should they?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll have to go and have a look to see if there is any oil in the boot.

I suppose i'm being a bit silly and tight. Best to just bite the bullet and go and buy some from the dealer when required. I checked the oil today for the first time today and it's clear and doesn't need topping up yet which is a good sign.

On a side note I took the best out for a burn on the way back from my parents house today. There are some great back roads out in the Kent countryside. I met an R32 at a very tight bit of road and as we passed slowly I saw that he had a manic grin on his face. Then I realised that I probably had exactly the same look!

This car is brilliant!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mine came with oil and I kept the ones from my cab and TT and they were both Castrol SLX long life which is the oil for the variable servicing. You can buy from halfords or BP garages. I think that all VAG cars that are on variable servicing come with a bottle to top up with.

What wheels have you ordered Trev?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Sounds like the bottle opener fiasco again.

The oil kit comes in a black zip up rectangle pouch, found in the boot. Its got velcro on one side so it sticks to the boot lining.

There should be one with EVERY Mk5. Like with the bottle openers though, people are pinching them and keeping or selling them.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I wouldn't be losing any sleep over topping up oil, it's not an oil burner.

Good chance you won't need to top it up at all between services!

Different car I know but my 1.8T GTI didn't need to be topped up once.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The oil with my GTi is Mobil Long Life and as Kuni says it comes in a black pouch like the Audi one but mine does not have velcro as it has a seperate holder on the right side of the boot.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
You "should" get oil.

I got oil with mine and when looking around the dealers all the cars that had come in but were not yet prepared had a bottle of oil in the pouch lying in the passenger side footwell.

Someone at these dealers is surely at it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The cars don't come with a bottle of top up oil. It is up to the dealer themselves whether they put a bottle in the boot or not. With the very little profit that comes with a new car i wouldn't blame the dealers for not giving them away....

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by littlekev on 08/03/2005 11:06:47

The cars don't come with a bottle of top up oil. It is up to the dealer themselves whether they put a bottle in the boot or not. With the very little profit that comes with a new car i wouldn't blame the dealers for not giving them away....

Very little profit, yeah right [:p]

If there is so little profit how come cars can be had with big discounts from brokers whereas some dealers give next to no discount!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 08/03/2005 12:39:00

If there is so little profit how come cars can be had with big discounts from brokers whereas some dealers give next to no discount!

Because brokers do not have the overheads that dealers do.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by Milkfloat on 08/03/2005 13:39:41

But the cars brokers (e.g. drivethedeal) provide come directly from UK VW dealers. They will also be making a profit AND selling the car at a decent discount.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Davros81, any chance of some pics? I've ordered a graphite blue GTI which I've been told should arrive in May (not holding my breathe on that one).

How do you like the colour?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the colour. I nearly went for red but thought Graphite Blue was more subtle and would be less common. I also thought that Red might attract a bit too much attention for a 23 year old with a heavy right foot!

I've only managed to take one photo so far. Will post more when I have taken them.

www.geocities.com/rebelwaltzuk/DCP_0395

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 08/03/2005 13:45:29

Quote: posted by Milkfloat on 08/03/2005 13:39:41

But the cars brokers (e.g. drivethedeal) provide come directly from UK VW dealers. They will also be making a profit AND selling the car at a decent discount.

Both the dealer and and broker will make a small profit, after all they don't do it for free. However, this is actually quite small. The dealer gets a sale at very very little effort so is willing to take a small profit. It also helps the delaer get it order numbers up, therefore being able to demand better prices from VW.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts