Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Oil change without removing sump plug

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  shiuming 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Mines still going strong.

I change my oil every 5k and have to date, since owning the pela let the oil out via the sump plug just once as I to was worried at what may accumulate.

Thing is, certainly on a PD Diesel, you can actually get more oil out with the Pela than by traditional draining as there is a good 300-400ml of oil that sits in the filter housing that you cannot get out by draining alone.

To those than havn't got one and that are considering it, get one I say !! [:|]

#5 ·
That Screwfix one looks a lot like the Pela Pump one that I bought, wouldn't suprise me if they were made by the same company..

anyway, these gizmo's are fine to use for DIY oil changes.

It means I can do a home Oil change in 15mins, and that's INCLUDING cleaning up the tools and stuff - which u always knows wastes the MOST time!

The only downside I have found with the pela pump is that I can't use it on my Girlfriends LUPO. the Lupo's dipstick is TINY in diameter, and the pelapump pipe won't fit in it at all!

#8 ·
What a great idea!!

Since new, i've had my car in for 12 monthly services and again every 6 months for an oil change. Considering I only do around 8K miles per year I think i'll do the interim oil change myself with one of these devices from now on. Do you think i'll get away without changing the filter on an interim oil change and leave it as part of the anual service?

#9 ·
If you're changing the oil between services then there's gonna be less crud in it to clog the filter and arguably your filter will need changing less often... Or is there a flaw in my logic? Hmm, time to crack open another , it's Saturday night, can't be doing with too much thinking!

#10 ·
You're always supposed to change the filter, but seeing as variable services can last upto 20k (on the same filter), I can't see any harm in doing changing the oil and leaving the filter

Just so long as u can trust your garage to change your filter when it's supposed to be changed

wink wink wink

#12 ·
You're always supposed to change the filter, but seeing as variable services can last upto 20k (on the same filter), I can't see any harm in doing changing the oil and leaving the filter

Just so long as u can trust your garage to change your filter when it's supposed to be changed

wink wink wink
Definatly, anyway marking the filter generally tells you that [;)]

#13 ·

wink wink wink
Definatly, anyway marking the filter generally tells you that [;)]
Or just look at it, if it looks obviously new, and has vapour coming off it like steam when hot (there will always be a slight amount of spillage at the mounting point that they will never totally clean up, and this will vaporize when hot)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.