Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going back to our previous conversation about servicing and oils...

Just to check Rustynuts, the oil I want is the Quantum Longlife III stuff in a gold-ish coloured can isn't it? 5W-30 weight and conforming to VW 504 00/507 00 standard.

This is the one I've bought, I think its the right one, but as the Parts dude handed me the Platinum one first, I wanted to check.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Going back to our previous conversation about servicing and oils...

Just to check Rustynuts, the oil I want is the Quantum Longlife III stuff in a gold-ish coloured can isn't it? 5W-30 weight and conforming to VW 504 00/507 00 standard.

This is the one I've bought, I think its the right one, but as the Parts dude handed me the Platinum one first, I wanted to check.
Go for 'Platinum' mate......I use it every 5k on my PD150

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Excellent, I knew I was right
Phil,

Seriously, don't do longlife servicing on your PD mate. The camshaft, camshaft bearings and followers don't like it.....especially cylinder no-1!
This is news to me. How come they don't like it?
PD engines, especially 150's break down the oil before the recommended oil service. This is why VW got rid of Synta Gold and PD oil and replaced it with 'Platinum.' They also recommended shorter oil changes.

Do a search for 'camshaft wear'.....hundreds of pages!

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uhuh, reading....

So what Standard of oil should I be using?

507.00 or 506.01? Or something else? Cos now I'm confused.

Oh, and the Quantum stuff the guy offered me was 5w-40... I thought it was meant to be 5w-30?

Bearing in mind my PD130 is currently on a LongLife Service Package...

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Uhuh, reading....

So what Standard of oil should I be using?

507.00 or 506.01? Or something else? Cos now I'm confused.

Oh, and the Quantum stuff the guy offered me was 5w-40... I thought it was meant to be 5w-30?

Bearing in mind my PD130 is currently on a LongLife Service Package...
VW Platinum and it's 5w-40

Also shorten your oil changes to around 7k miles. I change mine at 5k just for peace of mind and I want to avoid another 1k repair bill!

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Phil, ignore the doom mongers and their talk of witchcraft / blackmagic etc. [:p]

VW now use VW504/507 - 5w 30 oil for all service regimes on the PD engine (except a few who penny pinch and still use the VW505.01 - 5w 40) They still sell the 505.01 oil for people who want it, but it's an old specification. VW504/507 supercedes VW505.01 and 506.01, and combines all previous specification oils into one oil. If you use VW504/507 5w 30 oil for either longlife application or fixed time and distance servicing, you can rest assured that you're giving your engine the best specification oil available.

Or you could use the platinum oil if you choose and take a somewhat backward step, while still using an oil which is suitable.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Phil, ignore the doom mongers and their talk of witchcraft / blackmagic etc.

VW now use VW504/507 - 5w 30 oil for all service regimes on the PD engine (except a few who penny pinch and still use the VW505.01 - 5w 40) They still sell the 505.01 oil for people who want it, but it's an old specification. VW504/507 supercedes VW505.01 and 506.01, and combines all previous specification oils into one oil. If you use VW504/507 5w 30 oil for either longlife application or fixed time and distance servicing, you can rest assured that you're giving your engine the best specification oil available.

Or you could use the platinum oil if you choose and take a somewhat backward step, while still using an oil which is suitable.
Rusty, what is 'Platinum' for?

I'm not doubting your knowledge, I want what is best for my car. My PD150 has 146k on the clock. The camshaft, camshaft bearing and followers were changed 2 years ago.....I want them to last. My local VW dealer still recommends 'Platinum' for my engine.......I'm confused[:S]

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
The Longlife oil is a better blend of friction modifiers and additives to cope with the extended service intervals. This keeps the oil in grade and allows it to hold more soot in suspension than standard interval oils. If you want the best protection than arguably the better oil would give this for your engine. And it costs not a lot more anyway.

·
Pauper with big ideas
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not doubting your knowledge, I want what is best for my car....

...I'm confused
^^^ THIS.

I'm not doubting anyone, I just want to get the right stuff in the car. I've only owned it a month and I've already had to shell out £500 to get problems sorted, I don't want to pay out anymore anytime soon.

Edit after Rusty's post: Prices from dealers today- Platinum 5L was ~£34, Longlife III 5L was ~£40.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
The Longlife oil is a better blend of friction modifiers and additives to cope with the extended service intervals. This keeps the oil in grade and allows it to hold more soot in suspension than standard interval oils. If you want the best protection than arguably the better oil would give this for your engine. And it costs not a lot more anyway.
I don't have to worry about the price as I get trade discount from VW.

So just so I get the right stuff, what are you recommending for my PD?

Cheers Rusty!

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
I'm not doubting your knowledge, I want what is best for my car....

...I'm confused
^^^ THIS.

I'm not doubting anyone, I just want to get the right stuff in the car. I've only owned it a month and I've already had to shell out £500 to get problems sorted, I don't want to pay out anymore anytime soon.

Edit after Rusty's post: Prices from dealers today- Platinum 5L was ~£34, Longlife III 5L was ~£40.
I get Platinum for £12 for 5 litres so hopefully Longlife III will be comparable!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts