Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As recommended I have got myself some Megs Clay bar and NXT Tech Wax and am looking forward to working wonders on the paint of my Golf at the weekend.

As I am impatient with new things I had to have a quick try last night and clayed and waxed the corner of my bootlid. All I can say is I am very impressed, but gutted by the amount of fine swirl marks that showed up in the reflection by my outside light. This morning in daylight it all looked fine but I know the swirls are there.

I am presuming I need to get rid of these swirls before I apply the NXT Tech wax and build up layers of wax. What can I do and is now the best time to do it?

I am hoping to work on the car at the weekend so no time to really wait for mail order stuff, is the Megs Scratch X the stuff I need as I know i can get it from Halfords after work?

Any recommendations and advice gratefully received. I need your help!!

(BTW, I dont have a mechanical polisher, only arm power!)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I am not sure on the getting rid side. But once the wax is applied they will be far less visable as the wax will fill them in.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You should try Poorboys Super Swirl Remover (SSR)

There are four different types available, depending of the severity of your swirls.

Could also try some form of paint cleanser to get rid of very light swirls. - i use Pinnacle paint cleasing lotion and it works a treat.

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put a coat of NXT Tech wax on last night and they still showed up.

Is there anywhere I can get Poorboys or Pinnacle tonight or tomorrow morning? I am presuming I need to sort them before I begin waxing

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Get yourself a bottle of Clear coat Vannila Hand Glaze, this will help hide any light imperfections, like minor swirls..

It would also help if you dont apply/remove the materials you are using in a circular motion, use a motion which the wind would flow over the car, ie: the doors, follow a left/right horizontal motion.

2p [:D]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Is there anywhere I can get Poorboys or Pinnacle tonight or tomorrow morning? I am presuming I need to sort them before I begin waxing
Doubtful, you'll be able to get any tonight for work on car tomorrow mate.

If i were you, i'd thoroughly wash, clay, possibly wash again then apply the NXT and use it as a session to determine the other areas to attend to in future weeks.

Deffo agree with Jace in that to minimise future swirls always apply in a back and forth motion.

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

Will Megs Scratch X do the job?

I just don't want to build up layers of NXT only to have to remove it all to remove the swirls if you see what I mean.

If not I know of a place near me that supplies the body shops with all their cutting compunds etc, they might have what I need if I knew what I needed! Lol

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wouldn't use Scratch X on light swirls, and TBH would only consider using on very heavy swirls AFTER trying and having no luck with some form of swirl remover.

After cleaning and claying, you'll be able to establish how severe the swirls are.

If you've never used clay bar and NXT, give it a bash this weekend and admire how much better the car will look.

As for removing wax and having to 'top' it up again - if you catch the detailing bug (as many of us on here have), i'm sure you won't mind putting some more on at any available opportunity as you try different product to see what works best for you and your car.

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool,

Only other stuff I have is some Autoglym Super Resin Polish or G3 cutting compound.

Would it be worth Autoglyming it after the clay and before the NXT or shall I just go for the NXT?

Off to B&Q and Halfords later to get a second bucket and a lambswool mit, anything else while I am there?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Personally i wouldn't use the Autoglym, as i don't like the stuff. But others on here do like it.

IMO there are plenty of better products out there. - Megs, Pinnacle, P21S, Swissol to name a few.

What shampoo you using tomorrow? - i always use Johnsons Baby shampoo after a recommendation on here a while back, and the results are good as it doesn't strip the wax.

Might be an idea to use fairy liquid tomorrow (as mentioned in other current topics) to effectively give you a blank canvas to work on.

Don't think you need much else for this weekend, but check out websites such as motorgeek.co.uk and serious performance to see what else you could need and use in future.

Good luck for the cleaning session, make sure you post up some pics afterwards.

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Gareth,

Ok, I just have loads left of Autoglym left over, save it for the Mrs's car I suppose!

I still have half a bottle of Autoglym shampoo to use up then I am going to invest in the NXT stuff, unless you recommend shelling out for the NXT now if its going to make much difference?

Tomorrow I was going to go for the Fairy liquid for the first wash (or Tescos own because thats what I have at the moment) then clay it all over, using the megs quick detailer spray as lube, then wash again (FAIRY OR SHAMPOO????) then chamois and finally NXT.

Comments please....

·
Registered
518 Posts
I would:

- Wash in Fairy,

- Clay,

- Wash in Autoglym (but use plenty)

- Dry - (would recommend investing in a Hydra flexi blade at some point if you've not got one (frost.co.uk and circa ?10))

- NXT wax

- remove wax (micro fibre cloth)

- quick tea or beer break

- 2nd coat of Megs

then stop and admire. [H]

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds good to me.

Is it worth chamoising before claying or shall I just keep the car moist? lol

Heres me looking forward to it and knowing my luck it will pee down with rain all day!

Thanks again for the help mate, you're a legend

[:D]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Is it worth chamoising before claying or shall I just keep the car moist? lol
Probably won't make too much difference. You've got the Megs Clay right? - make sure you use plenty of the quik detailer (lube) that comes with it and wipe off the residue once you've gone over it with the clay.

The paint should feel like glass when you're done - really smooth, so don't be affraid to go over sections twice to ensure you get all the crud off your paintwork. - just make sure you knead the clay after each panel, so 'fresh' clay is used.

·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah its the Megs Clay, thanks for the hints.

I've got a good feeling about this! [;)]

Thanks again.

I will try and stop and get a few pics on the way, before and afters!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If you've got some trade sellers near by see if you can get you hands on some 3M Hand Glaze, it mask's minor swirls and is about ?10 for 1litre.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would:

- Wash in Fairy,

- Clay,

- Wash in Autoglym (but use plenty)

- Dry - (would recommend investing in a Hydra flexi blade at some point if you've not got one (frost.co.uk and circa ?10))

- NXT wax

- remove wax (micro fibre cloth)

- quick tea or beer break

- 2nd coat of Megs

then stop and admire. [H]
I am going to be doing this tomorrow as well but i have p21s clenser and wax. When should i use the clenser ?

Then apply the wax after nxt by hand?

can next and p21s be applied by machine(pc)?

sorry about the questions and hijacking a bit!

cheers.

stuart

·
Registered
518 Posts
Stu,

Apply cleanser after clay bar (and 2nd wash if planned),

then apply the NXT wax and top it off with a coat (or 2) of P21S for a really deep wet look shine.

I used to use this combo and the results are amazing (before Kev (RS Golf) showed me what Pinnacle can do for a car!)

There are some older topics on this with pictures (Jace's car springs to mind)

I always apply by hand as i don't have the luxury of a pc, so not sure about that one.

Post up some pics afterwards tho.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you've got some trade sellers near by see if
you can get you hands on some 3M Hand Glaze, it mask's minor swirls and
is about ?10 for 1litre.
I,ve been using the 3M hand glaze for years now and it really is good stuff.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I had a fairly deep scratch in the lacquer on my bonnet from new, no amount of polish or wax would cover it. Then one day I was having a SMART repair on my front bumper, I mentioned this scratch to the guy while we were waiting for the paint on the bumper to dry, and he got some stuff out, scrubbed the wax off, then some magic potion which he rubbed onto the scratch and it just disappeared. It was like a cheesy washing powder advert - now you see it, now you don't [:|] This was well over a year ago, so whatever it was, it was permanent. Damned if I remember what it was, I think it was made by Dupont.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts