Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i just went open it (its electric btw) and the bloody thing just fell into the door and wouldnt come back up again.

So, fearing i had to get it sorted straight away as it left the car about as secure as a 50 year old prostitute, iwent to a local garage and said something along the lines of "i dont care how much it costs just get it sorted!".

So its still there and i'm awaiting a phone call to tell me all is well and my car is back to normal (i wish).

Has anyone else had the same problem?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ahhh, the infamous dreaded window regulators on the mk4s. They are made of plastic and easily snap! It's a very common fault, they'll change them for metal ones now and a diy kit is available too!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me a couple of months back, luckily I was near home and managed to get it fixed the next day.

To be on the safe side I had the drivers window regulator replaced aswell even though it wasn't bust.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
What are you, loaded? I feel they may kill you price wise after you said that [:D]

I changed my drivers one friday night, took me a good few hours (6!!)
as i didn't have a clue what i was doing and was on my own working by
torch light in the rain. And i had to take it apart twice as my spool
unwound at one point.

Awful job to look at but not that bad when you've worked out how it all operates.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
What are you, loaded? I feel they may kill you price wise after you said that [:D]
I changed my drivers one friday night, took me a good few hours (6!!) as i didn't have a clue what i was doing and was on my own working by torch light in the rain. And i had to take it apart twice as my spool unwound at one point.
Awful job to look at but not that bad when you've worked out how it all operates.
Hear what you but didn't fancy being miles from anywhere and the window dropped especially if it was wee weeing down. It was a peace of mind thang.

As for doing the job yourself I take my hat off to you.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Sorry Cluke, i should have quoted, that wasn't aimed at you! I aimed it at Dan for saying "I don't care how much it costs" [:D].

I've been messing about with cars since i was 15 (7 years now -
*shudder*) so i feel pretty confident. But i cut my teeth on simple old
beetles. Modern cars are very scary on the surface due to all the
electrics and stuff but not too bad once you start stripping it all
back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My drivers door window made a lovely noise and stopped going up on Sunday.

The only problem I was driving throught Longleat safari park at the time. I manged to grab it before it dropped and shove it up.

What did the stealer charge you in the end?

The kit is ?32 and I am still undecided how to get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry Cluke, i should have quoted, that wasn't aimed at you! I aimed it at Dan for saying "I don't care how much it costs" [:D].
Figure of speach mate, i didnt really say that i just wanted to put over how desperate i was to get it fixed, since i was already late for uni lectures.

But anyway, its still not fixed as i didnt have time to get it done they just closed it so it was secure, i need the car all the time so i just dont have time to p*ss around with garages, so if any of you lot who know how to do it can come down Filton way and do it for me if i get the parts....Pretty please!

Just out of interest, does anyone where the nearest VW stealers to Filton are?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It is quite feasible as a DIY job but it takes a bit of time if you've not done it before.  In addition, I would recommend have a Haynes manual or someone who has done it before to guide you through it.  Budget 2-3 hours from start to finish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.