Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why didn't it come like this from the factory?!

I've just fitted my Eibach rear ARB (thanks to R1GTI for the group buy [:D]) Had a few problems fitting it, mainly due to those jubilee clips not quite reaching around - until the g-clamp came in and saved my day. In all, took around 3 hours and that's mainly because of those jubilee clips and the ARB being a mm too long on the left hand side for the bolt to slip in.

So, what's it like? Well, Took it out for a spin round the nearby country lanes and roundabouts, and I experienced something I've never had before in Borat... Oversteer!! There's a slight bit of understeer sometimes, but hardly detectable - you just point the car now and it goes where you tell it! [:D][:D] There's hardly any body roll - although there is still a wallow sometimes because my dampers need replacing - but she's firmly glued to the road [^] I was doing a formula 1 style warm up down one road because I was so impressed - the only lunging side to side was my ***!!

If you don't want to uprate your springs or dampers, or already have even, this is the mod for you - it's amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing [:D]

Thanks again to Rich (R1GTI) for all his hard work sorting out the group buy. All of those in the group buy, get them on now! Post questions here too if you get stuck installing the rear ARB too - I shall try and help if I can.

Cheers

A Very Happy [:D] Mike

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Surely it shouldn't be oversteering just by firming it up? Bit dodgy if thats the case.... most drivers dont know how to deal with that.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I don't know about oversteer but it sure as hell doesn't understeer like it used to. Well worth the money this mod.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not traditional oversteer per se, it doesn't snap out or anything (unless you really push it to step out of line), but the back tyres are squeeling and the front carries on going where you point it [:D]

Take you for a spin sometime, think even you'll notice it [;)]

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote: posted by Chris on 15/08/2004 21:24:09

No way..... you're scary enough as it is!!

I'll be gentle lol

Come out on the track with me sometime... sick bags are provided!

Edit, wonder if it's something to do with having a boot?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
ARB's are great, even if you are using std shocks & springs, they offer a very noticeable improvement [!]. Just see how much more speed you can carry into/out of roundabouts, just mind out for people pulling out on you [!].

did you not get a pair (of ARB's) Mike [?].

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Hi Mike, did you really notice a big difference, when turning corners, with the rear ARB fitted, i,m asking as i,m thinking of fitting a front and rear ARB ,but need to know , does it affect the ride quality??, also will it still give a good ride as i have FK konigsport coilovers, also should i fit only the rear or both front and rear, i do not do track days , only street driving, sometimes fast.

cheers zak

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Marc, I did get a pair, but I'm leaving the front one til I get my new konis, so they can all be done together.

Zak, Big difference is an understatement [:D] It doesn't change the ride quality at all. If you have coilovers, I would go for front and rear, so that the front has a larger clearance for your driveshafts if you go really low.

·
Registered
342 Posts
"Surely it shouldn't be oversteering just by firming it up? Bit dodgy if thats the case.... most drivers dont know how to deal with that."

Why do you think they don't have a stiffer anti roll bar as standard

because understeer is safer

mine oversteered more than i wanted when i first put the anti roll bar on but that was more to do with the crappy tyres i had on the back now its neutral ish

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just behind either "clasp" where the thread screws through on each side... can be a bit tricky [:(]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thats done it, gonna have to go the full hog and have the front and rear ARBs fitted along with the koni and springs upgrade already planned, don't know what the Mrs will say, have to blame inflation [!]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also got Eibach ARB's installed on my car and the FK Konigsport Coilovers, and got myself the G-Tech meter via GB, went out for a play on Saturday and managed to get 1.07 lateral G on a corner [:D] needless to say i am more than impressed.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Theres a trick to fitting the rear ARB's and that jubille clip thingy. Fit the clip round the rear axle without the ARB in place to give the clip some shape. Then offer up the ARB and it will all come together nice and easy.

J.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
Quote: posted by 1.8T Chap on 24/08/2004 20:14:28

Also got Eibach ARB's installed on my car and the FK Konigsport Coilovers, and got myself the G-Tech meter via GB, went out for a play on Saturday and managed to get 1.07 lateral G on a corner [:D] needless to say i am more than impressed.

mmm, looks like i,ll have to see Rich ,about a set of front and rear ARB,s, , i know i,m being silly , but it doesnt make the ride worse ,does it?, i,m asking as i,ll have 19" wheels soon, i also have the konigsport suspension ready to fit, 1.07 lateral G, Any way of explaining what it feels like?

cheers zak

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ride is no worse, a lot firmer for the better if you know what I mean - no lolloping around over bumps as the back suspension is now going up and down in time with each other rather than independantly.

1.07G Well, the car is flat as anything, yet your *** wants to slide out the door... how's that? [;)][:D]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Quote: posted by MikeP on 24/08/2004 21:06:39

1.07G Well, the car is flat as anything, yet your *** wants to slide out the door... how's that? [;)][:D]

That'll be your seats, fat lad [:D]

Quote: posted by MikeP on 24/08/2004 21:06:39

Ride is no worse, a lot firmer for the better if you know what I mean - no lolloping around over bumps as the back suspension is now going up and down in time with each other rather than independantly.

Bit hard for them not to be going together due to that nasty Torsion Beam setup! [V]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts