Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to everyone who helped (especially Foxy with his wiring
diagram). The lights are in and working but I have yet to take pics of
them to show you guys. Will do that soon.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to adjust the height/width of each light so that it is aiming in the right direction ?

Edit: Here are some pics :-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
406 Posts
There should be two holes in the top of the lamp assembly (visible whislt bonnet open)

Sometimes the holes are protruding tubes (to guide allen key in)

If you look down hole it you might just be able to make out hexagon shape - I think its a 6mm key.

One hole controls left and right, the other up and down.

You need the beam to be 1% down (normal halogens are 1.6%) - ie 1inch in 100 inches or 5 cm drop over 5 metres etc.

The beam kick ups (\----) need to be directly infront of the lamp (straight line perpendicular) or just left of that (DO NOT AIM TOWARDS RIGHT HAND LANE)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah great stuff - that makes sense.

Im going to use this technique to aim my lights correctly :-

http://www.angelfire.com/droid/reefvw/aim.html

the only thing Im worried about now is that Ive heard its possible to
break the housing if adjusted too much or in the wrong direction. Is
there anything I should look out for before making any adjustments ?

thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
Nice animation, but where is the beam drop? - the pictures show that the centre of the beam is aways at the same height - that is wrong.

They should dip to the ground at a rate of 1% (for xenons due to sharper cut off) - hence the "1%" etc sticker on the lamp tops.

Other than that - the straight line from beam axis (for L/R) projection is as I (briefly) described -note those image kick ups ___/ are LHD \___ is RHD pattern.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks mate.

To be honest Im some what new to all this beam pattern kinda stuff. Is
there like a how-to on setting up the xenons ? That would be great!

Pics uploaded above.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah there is - I just told you [;)]

The trick is to find flat ground (ie both horizontal - you don't want the car suspension compressing either end due to gradient - and not bumpy) with somewhere to aim your lights.

So a long straight flat driveway to a big white garage door would be good.

Do the vertical setting first, as if the beams are L/R wrong it wont make much difference as the flat part of the beam kick up is quite consistently straight and can be used to calibrate.

Mark the beam centres (ie "knee" of kick up \___ ) when you are say 1 foot from garage door/wall, reverse car backwards a known distance (up to 25 feet is good, far enough to get accuarcy but not too far to get blurring/dispersion of light beams)

You must reverse in straight line (the front of the car MUST be still parallel with the garage door/wall - doesn't matter that you "didn't" move the wheel if your steeringis out or bumps moved you off axis - do it again)

Now work out 1% dip (minimum required, its either 1.3 or 1.6 for conventioanl halogens) - ie 1% of 20 ft (say) is 2.4 inches or 60 mm etc. So your beams must now be lowered using the lamp screws by 60 mm easy !

Now you can do the L/R settings to line up the kick up with the same target horizontally

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow - this should be in the DIY section! I'll give that a try in a bit
seeing as its nice and dark now. Will update this thread with the
outcome soon !

thanks again

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Good job done there mate, they look fantastic! [Y]

Does the loom you have made up allow you to control the levelling manually via the dash rheostat, or is the levelling mod internal to the headlamps?

Also, have you done the mod to allow the xenon's to stay on when you switch to high beam's?

Sorry for all the questions mate, it's just that i may be getting round to fitting some myself soon...! [;)][:p]

Steve

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
np mate

Theyre not adjustable via the rheostat yet as its a mod within the headlamp itself and means I need to cut some wire [:eek:]

Im not going to bother with the high beam mod (yet) as I never really
use that. The main beam (with the xenons on) is more than enough for me.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Theyre not adjustable via the rheostat yet as its a mod within the headlamp itself and means I need to cut some wire [:eek:]
You're a braver man than me mate..! [:O]

Have you had chance for an evening drive out yet to see how good they are? [:)]

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup theyve been in since yesterday evening so I went out yesterday
night. Theyre pointing downwards quite a lot so visibility is not the
best yet (Im trying to be careful before adjusting them as Ive heard
some horror stories) but yup theres no doubt theyre worth every penny !
It seems like Im driving daytime - amazing.

As for the rheostat mod yup, will need to be brave to do that !

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
not yet mate - want to get them up at a good height then take some shots [;)]
Good man! i'll look forward to them, could be getting some xenons myself soon, think i may have finally found a supplier of RHD ones...[<:eek:)]

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Cant wait to get mine in now, still waiting on a couple of bits from germany tho. Whats the horror story with the manual leveling via the rehostat ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts