Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just spent my entire afternoon trying to get some xenons working, they are pre 03 ones, but are complete (now) with original ballasts and wiring.

Anyway, they weren't working and I have been pulling my hair out as to why.

They are now...... so for everyone else.......BROWN IS EARTH !!!!!! YELLOW IS LIVE !!!!

As I just found out......tut tut.

·
No more Mods....Yeah right !
1,444 Posts
Yeah - the yellow wire is the power (dipped beam) from pin 6 on main 12 pin socket). The earth is brown and comes off pin 8. Both of these wires are connected inside the headlight unit (via a snap connector) to the 4 pin socket that is seen on the outside at the top of the unit.

Power then goes to the remote ballast from this 4 pin socket (power pin 2 / earth pin 4) -- its then routed back (via the OEM cable/plug) to pins 1 and 2. From there its goes (internally) to the ignitors via the red and blue wires. From the ignitors (via high tension blue/brown wires) to the red D plug that locks on the back of the DS2 bulb.

Only know this because I have just got some pre 03 Xenons for a great price (without the OEM ballasts/harness) -- I already had some Hella ballasts so I needed to be a bit creative and put together a harness to power them up.

Before I made up the harness I just just checked the prices for the OEM stuff at he stealers - The harness (which plugs into the 4 pin socket and remote ballast), one for each headlight, cost over ?100 a piece. And the remote ballasts (or control boxes) are over ?200.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patrichio, I was in the same boat as you mate, picked up some light units, for ?72, priced up the harness ?129+VAT from VW (each side). Ballasts ??..... I didn't even dare ask !!!

Got both Bosch original ballasts and original harness off ebay (both sides) ... ?72 + VAT (the lot)bargain.

D2S bulbs, ?114 each at VW, ?28 a pair - ebay ???? Whats that all about ???

All I need now is some 10-12 pin adapters, some H21W indicator bulbs and some new lenses as I have taken a hammer to the originals !!! I will post up some pics soon, once I sort some batteries for the digi, gone for Anni style, with a slant !!!!

·
1,444 Posts
Well done for getting that lot together.

I got the light units for ?125 (brand new by the looks of them complete with bulbs). I already had put some Hella ballasts (picked up for ?100 the pair) on the car with a dedicated loom working off a relay. -- The power harness to the xenons I've put together has cost me around ?15. And I have just ordered the wires and sockets for the 10 - 12 pin adapters from my friendly VW parts guy (also around ?15 with discount and some free bits).

It looks as if the power to the leveling motor, which is 2 wires, constant and variable [2 black wires] go straight to the motor. (The brown earth to the motor piggybacks in and out off the plug that sits in the back of the LH auto level control unit - which is now redundant) --- This should mean that as long as I incorporate the 2 extra wires in the 10 - 12 adapters - the dash rheostat switch will power up the leveling motors without the wiring adjustments inside the light units (as needed on the 2003 + version). That will allow for some easy adjustment from the cabin should the need arise.

Will also transfer the PIAA sidelights and holders over from my existing units.

As for the Anni style - well that was next up for me too [:p] (or the 'Paik' version)

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

(BTW once you busted the lenses, how easy was it to remove the remaining glass/glue - just time consuming I guess. Also have you decided on what adhesive/sealant to use to put the new lenses back on)

All this after having just modded my existing lights with twin indicators / HIDs and what have you ! Nothing wrong with them but the OEM xenons are really beautiful. What a sucker[:D]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you get them from Gary Cundliffe ?? I PM'd him but they were sold [:(] Sound a good bargain, if they are like new, I forgot to mention, mine are missing the levelling motor thing at the back of the left light unit, will I not need this if I go the same way as you with the wiring then??

I didn't realise you could buy the 10/12 pin plugs/sockets and what type of wire do you use ? There was a pair on ebay.de a couple of weeks ago, but were about ?45, inc P&P. I could do with saving a few pennies by knocking some up myself, I have foxy's pinout.

Can I just get the required bits from VW ?? Or can your mate source me any ? I would be happy to supply you with some tokens !!! [;)]

As for removing the lens, they are tough as old boots and took some smashing, the best thing is to hit them at the edge, just hitting the front of them will never do it !!! Then I used a screw driver and gardening gloves to remove all the remaining crap, be careful the glass splinters like mad, I did mine over a large box. As for glueing the new ones in ? any suggestions welcome...no more nails ???

One thing to be careful of, as I have found out, is to be careful touching the chrome parts inside, as the coating can be rubbed off and it starts to look tatty. No problem if your going for 'Paik' style though (wonder if he knows, lights have been named after him !!!)

They do look sweet as Anni ones, although I have added a bit of individuality !!!

I have gone for a anthracite grey, instead of black and the indicator lenses have been given an extra deep amber look as they just look so mean at the front on the .:R, I thought I would make them look even more angry !!!!

·
1,444 Posts
Yep - got them from Gary (moved in there pretty quick) and picked them up at the BBT meet. And they are new / complete.

You will not need the Auto Leveling Control Box.that normally sits on the back of the LH unit. It connects to the inside via a rectangular plug that comes out of the backplate. Would have thought that the plug is still present on yours so just take the plug out from the inside and then completely seal the hole.

The adapters are available on ebay or if you make them yourself, just follow the wiring connections as shown on Foxys website (they should also apply to pre 03 units -- some of the earth pins are different in the the pre 03 units but this shouldn't make a difference). All the bits (part numbers) you need to make the adapters are shown below (including the extra wires to power the leveling motors).

The wires come with either male or female terminals attached.(8 large wires and 8 smaller wires). Each wire is then cut in half and re-soldered up so that it has a female and male terminal on each end. You then have 2 sets of 8 wires. Use Foxy's pin guide to push fit these wires into the adapters.(mind you I've yet to pick mine up from the parts guy - but thats the way it works as far as I can see)

I'm getting my adapters cheaper, as a one off, as I know the parts guy and he's picking some stuff up from the repair kits. But they will only cost around ?30 and you just order the following parts.(might be easier to buy off ebay then - as long as those have the extra wires for the rheostat, if thats what you also want)

1J0 941 165 (12 pin plug)
1J0 973 835 (10 pin socket)
2.5mm wires for 12-pin (you need 4x off) 000 979 225
1.0mm wires for 12-pin (you need 4x off) 000 979 131
2.5mm wires for 10-pin (you need 4x off) 000 979 226
1.0mm wires for 10-pin (you need 4x off) 000 979 134

Thanks for the tips on removing the glass lenses. I know the silver reflector coating is very delicate and can be easily messed up. I must admit as these things are brand new I am a bit reluctant to break the lens.

I have some ideas of which sealant to use (just checking out a place to get it) -- but I know other guys (umrelt ) have done the reseal OK so could check with them to see what they used.

Good luck with putting it all back together again !

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep - got them from Gary (moved in there pretty quick) and picked them up at the BBT meet. And they are new / complete.

You will not need the Auto Leveling Control Box.that normally sits on the back of the LH unit. It connects to the inside via a rectangular plug that comes out of the backplate. Would have thought that the plug is still present on yours so just take the plug out from the inside and then completely seal the hole.

The adapters are available on ebay or if you make them yourself, just follow the wiring connections as shown on Foxys website (they should also apply to pre 03 units -- some of the earth pins are different in the the pre 03 units but this shouldn't make a difference). All the bits (part numbers) you need to make the adapters are shown below (including the extra wires to power the leveling motors).

The wires come with either male or female terminals attached.(8 large wires and 8 smaller wires). Each wire is then cut in half and re-soldered up so that it has a female and male terminal on each end. You then have 2 sets of 8 wires. Use Foxy's pin guide to push fit these wires into the adapters.(mind you I've yet to pick mine up from the parts guy - but thats the way it works as far as I can see)

I'm getting my adapters cheaper, as a one off, as I know the parts guy and he's picking some stuff up from the repair kits. But they will only cost around ?30 and you just order the following parts.(might be easier to buy off ebay then - as long as those have the extra wires for the rheostat, if thats what you also want)

Thanks for the tips on removing the glass lenses. I know the silver reflector coating is very delicate and can be easily messed up. I must admit as these things are brand new I am a bit reluctant to break the lens.

I have some ideas of which sealant to use (just checking out a place to get it) -- but I know other guys (umrelt ) have done the reseal OK so could check with them to see what they used.

Good luck with putting it all back together again !
Thanks mate, appreciate the response, as for them being new,just go for it, normal lenses will fit, so I am told !!! I must admit I was a bit reluctant to break mine, but the end justifies the means IMO.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You said that you cut the wires in half, so do I only need to buy 8 wires (2 0f each) rather than 4 of each ?? Or am I being stupid ?

·
1,444 Posts
You need to make up two adapter leads (1 for each light unit).

Each lead has 8 wires. (total wires needed 16). The wires come with the same terminal at each end. You need to change this by cutting the wire in half and rejoining with the other wire which has the different terminal. (females to go in the light unit side / and males to go into the existing 10 pin lead)

When you cut the wires if half and rejoin (so that you get a male / female terminal at each end) ---- you end up with ----

8 large wires (2.5mm) and 8 small wires (1.0mm)

[4 large and 4 small are used to make up each adapter lead]

So -- you need to buy all 16 wires as shown above.

(then again I could be talking complete bulls locks [:D])

·
1,444 Posts
Theres a USA forum that I check into now again that covers all aspects of HID conversions and headlight modding. Loads of comprehesive info from guys that have worked on installing projectors / ballasts etc. etc ---- anyways because they have to remove and reattach the headlight lenses they have tried and tested methods.

One of the adhesives / sealents that is often recommended (as easy to apply and which hardens to a stong watertight seal -- is an OEM Nissan sealer. It comes on a roll and when heated it becomes pliable and is very easy use. Apparently it is the same stuff (composition wise) that is used on aftermarket headlights (eg FKs / Depos).

I will upload some pictures later - but the US part number is B6553-89915 (Sealer B-1756).

Just checked with a Nissan dealer today and the part number is the same in the UK --- so I have ordered a roll. Costs around ?19 - but if it does as good a job as it is supposed to and allows the lens to be re-opended if needbe by applying heat (you never know) then thats OK.[:D]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good mate, do they have any methods for removing the lenses from UK spec Golfs...[6] of a job !!!

Keep me posted on the sealant, although it sounds a bit pricey, would that roll do both lights ??? TBH, there should be some quality sealant at B&Q, which would probably be sound.

·
1,444 Posts
Pics of the sealer ---

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks the business mate. So you just press this into the groove, reseat the lens and heat it up with a heatgun and that's it ??

Did you get both boxes for ?19 ??

·
1,444 Posts
Haven't got mine yet [:p] ---- those are some pics from the other forum I mentioned. http://www.hidplanet.com/forums

Yeah - it seems that you heat the sealant first whilst in the groove and then push the lens on, it then hardens to a flexible seal - thats why its so easy to use.

I pick mine up on Wednesday from the Nissan dealer. I'll see how much I get, but its supposed to be plenty to seal up a couple of lenses. I'll be able to check it out a bit more once I get it.

·
1,444 Posts
Picked up this sealer the other day. Was not sure if one box of this stuff would be enough so managed to obtain another half used roll, at no charge.

I can see why some of the HID forum guys use it to seal up lenses after modding - as it looks as if it will do a good job and will be easy to apply.

Until I actually take the lenses off the xenons, it is difficult to judge how much of the sealer will be needed. It will obviously stretch out much further than the standard length it comes in. So I need to see what is the ideal amount needed to fill the area around the edge of the light unit before the lens is pressed on.

But - if you have to pay for 2 boxes @ ?19 + VAT each [+o(], then other less expensive methods can be found.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeh !! ?19 + G+T is a lot, especially if you need two. I know you need a good weathertight seal and the last thing you need is the lens popping off, but I am confident some no more nails and silicone will do the job !!!

I have got some G clamps which I'll use to press the lens on, once I find one !!! I want to do it quickly as the xenon is going to get ruined otherwise.

Good luck, with yours, nice to see you are doing it the right way, by getting everything together first, unlike myself !!!!

I have diy'd a pair of 10-12 pin adapters yesterday and did a test on the car and they worked, [:)]. The Anni lights looked sooo much nicer lit up than the originals !!!

·
1,444 Posts
Instead of the Nissan sealer I used some Sikaflex adhesive sealent which does an excellent job. (the Nissan stuff might work OK but once you do the mod on the xenons its apparent that the glass lens really needs fixing on with a quality adhesive). I fitted in the painted black cowling with a dab of silicone on each of the 3 fixing points (set aside to dry). Then put in a generous bead of the Sikaflex in the groove - pressed the glass in and secured with duct tape until dry. Because the Sikaflex is black it also works well with the Anni Mod. ---- Will get some pics up under another thread soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts