Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that VW do a kit to upgrade the standard GTI speakers (5 door).....

part numbers?

cost?

or am i better off getting a "proper" brand of speaker?

if so, which and what sizes would i need?

i'm after DIRECT REPLACEMENTS, dont wanna be cutting anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Yep,get "proper" speakers,6in or 16Cm will drop in,but you'll have to use an Autoleads or similar mounting adaptor,and you can fit up to to 8in or 20Cm without cutting as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got some decent Kenwood speakers along with the autoleads adaptors. Was really easy to fit. Line up all the holes and screw in. Plus, when you look into the car it looks like you have standard speakers as the speaker grill is still intact with the doorcard [;)]

Sod paying VW prices! The upgrades for my dads mk5 were 150 for the front two *bumped*

Look into some decent door speakers, or if you have the cash get some componets.

Hope this helps

Amir

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i want them to fit behind the stock speaker grilles.

and be "up-rated" in comparison to the standard ones

·
Registered
106 Posts
They do fit behind the standard speaker grills. You can put any door speakers in and no one will know you have them! Im leaving the back door speakers theres no need to really put new ones in, I'm not sitting back there!

The adaptors leave enough room for the door card to pop over it without any trouble atall.

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
Well,I should have mine working in the next few days,and if they sound any good,I'll recomend DLS to you.In case you're interested,I'm using the "Ultimate Iridium 8.3" set that sells for around ?600.Not a five minute job fitting them either.

·
Registered
389 Posts
VW kit is silly money i think all there stuff should be on the dealers website under accesories and audio. Halfords have got quite a range of door speakers from ?30-90 a set so a good improvement and not too much and gives you an idea of what they sound like then you can buy them cheaper else where. What stereo are you using as aftermarket ones usually offer 4x50w instead of the factory usual of 4x15w.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my theory is that if the standard speakers sound great........then the uprated ones should??...no?

my head unit it a MFD version G.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
On a similar kind note - I changed the speakers in my old mk4 (which was easy peasy) but how hard is it to fit components?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I've got a set of VW upgraded rear speakers that I bought off Estoril Blue about 6 months ago but not got round to fitting them yet!

Can post the part number if you want it?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
part number would be handy please!!

but would your three door ones match my 5 door?

anyone know how much the VW UPRATED SET ARE? then i have something to compare with.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would recomend FOCAL components, the woofer fits in with the adaptor but the tweeter is a little more involved if you want the stealth look, a bit of triming and cutting behind the tweeter grill and bobs your uncle!! They are costly if you buy them new, but they sound the muts nuts and dont need to be amped either.

Cant help with the price of the VW one's though, try EBAY?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts