Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Not sure if anyone has performed this but I did a search didn't find much so here goes!

I have just installed the VW iPod interface in my MK V Golf GTi its this one:

My car was originally fitted with a CD Changer in the armrest. I removed this and replaced it with Part number:1KO 857 925 A 1QB which comes up as a Shelf on the parts system. This is for a Right Hand Drive Golf Mk V.

Remove the changer and then disconnect the lead attached to the bottom of it. The iPod adapter then has the exact same connector on it. Attach that to the connector on the base of the unit.

The Radio/Navi will then see the iPod adapter as a CD Changer and playlists appear on the radio as CD's The iPod is charged in the unit. There are some electronics in the base of the unit.

My dealer in the UK was told that this was not a UK Part and as such was not supposed to order it. However they did and it arrived in a few days.

An Adapter pack: 1K0 863 003.A.1QB is a bank of adapters to suit different iPods, there is one for the Gen 5 iPod, the Nano, the Mini and the other types of iPods as well therefore if you have problems with your iPod fitting then you will need the adapter pack.

There is also a VW USB one which takes USB memory sticks that contain WMA MP3 and OGG Vorbis Files which also can be used. I dont have this one but I assume that it works the same.

Here are some pics of my install:

Above: This is the interface showing the fitted Generation 5 iPod Adapter

Above: This is the Adapter Pack: 1K0 868 003 the additional label says it: 1K0 863 003.A.1QB (in case its required) as you can see there are a number of back spacers - these are different thickness for the iPod, shown on upper right of picture - on the Left are the two adapters for the iPod Mini and the Nano. The Top one of the pair is for the Nano and the Bottom is the Mini. The black plate in the middle, of the picture fits in the front of the adapter sleeve to make up the gap between the iPod's front and the side of the holder sleeve.

Above: This is the holder without any adapters at all.

Above: When the iPod is plugged in VW appears on the display

Above: This is the RNS MFD2 showing connected to the iPod interface, the CD's are playlists 1-5 on the iPod and CD 6 is all tracks.

I think this unit is nothing more than a Dension iLink (made in Hungary and has the words DE-ICE on the bottom) packaged very nicely inside an OEM VW fitment. It works well and the sound is excellent.

It also works with the RCD300 and I tried a friends iPod nano and it works perfect

Shunts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi There

The interface was called "Shelf" on the part system it cost around ?120 the Adapter kit was about another ?7

Any VW dealer should get them - the adapters did take a while to arrive, the iPod will still fit but it floats around in the holder without them - I think it might have been because there have been a few updates to the iPod and that delayed the adapter.

Hope this helps

Shunts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Shunts, thanks for the info!

I'm planning on fitting an aftermarket HU. I currently have the 6 disc changer underneath my armrest and am wondering whether this Prep will be easily modified to be able to work with a Kenwood HU? That way I could remove my 6 disc changer and fit the Prep and hopefully control it from the HU...Wonder if its at all possible???

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Spoke to the dealer about this earlier.

The official UK kit is ?150 all in.

However they wire it into the the glovebox with just a cable and no "dock" as such for the Ipod to sit in.

It used the interface that the CD Changer uses so if you have that fitted it becomes redundant.

Asked if I could trade the CD Changer in against the IPOD interface but answer was no lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK here goes

I'd imagine that the this interface mimics the OEM VW Changer which to confuse is made by Sony, the RCD300, MFD2 etc is made by Blaupunkt so I'd guess that it uses some custom VW interfacing between the two units.

Therefore again, an assumption that it will not work unless you can get this unit reprogrammed. It does not have any diagnostic from the VAG system so cannot be programmed via that, however on the base it has a hardware number and software revision number so there is potential for reprogramming.

As I say in the original article it appears to be a Denison ICE link package neatly, if anyone can hack the unit it and its bits to alter it for an aftermarket unit I think it may be possible.

As for the VW dealer. Yeah that the same story that I had from my parts dealer. However the guy in the parts dealer at my local VW place is pretty sound, he went though the EKTA system and found this. Just go in give them the part numbers that you want and then tell them. The Official VW accessory is the Glove box crap not this one. If you have a CD changer I am 100% confident that you can just swap the units between this part number an the OEM changer.

If you have problems, I'm sure my dealer and the parts main man there will be able to help you, I'll check with him first but if you are having problems PM me and I will put you in touch.

Shunts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested I popped into Gilders Volkswagen today for some oil and they're advertising ipod kits at ?130 inc. VAT and fitting. Their phone number is 0114 2670670. That's Sheffield BTW.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just incase anyone is buying a new iPod Nano -

I'd imagine it will not fit in this unit as yet - the Adapters will require updating, they only cost around £7 from UK dealers.

Shunts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Well they better sell me one at the old price the cheeky buggers.

I ordered one from my dealer back in August and it's still not arrived.

The adapter kit has though.

Grrrrr

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I've had some on order since June,they are suppose to be coming tommorow but i don't really want them now they have done this.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Guess what Dealer called me today to give me the good and bad news.

I trumped him by saying "it's arrived and the price has gone up" lol

So que some negotiating and I'm picking it up on Saturday.

Would have taken it either way as I've already bought an Ipod in readiness for this install.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Picked up the shelf and adapter kit today from the dealer.

They kindly pulled out the CD Changer for me so all I had to do was fit the shelf myself.

5mins later, Ipod in its dock, and it works!

Hoooray.

Bit of a rip off mind for what it is but the ability to play a wider variety of songs compared to the 6 CD Changer will make it worth while.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Agree with you on that,i thought they were quite expensive before to be honest,i'm a bit suprised the price has gone up though because it is standard in some models now so it should be cheaper cos they are making more.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The standard one is their own USB interfaced memory stick.

This one is of course specific to the Ipod interface.

I guess they're putting the price up to encourage people to buy their own USB set up and also make money on those who prefer to use the Ipod instead (like me)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think that the unit was originally pretty expensive, but it would seem that VW have now kind of "discovered" that this aftermarket add on is proving pretty popular. So they have ramped up the price on it.

I think thats pretty bad personally.

Shunts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
There is nothing special about the USB one,you can use any memory stick in it.
I really like the idea of a USB Stick Adaptor. But I have the standard centre console (without cd changer) fitted. Does this mean I can't get a simple add-on to enable me to add this functionality easily?

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any tips guys on how to "safely" get the CD player out of the armrest to fit the "Shelf" adapter ? Is it straightforward or is there a knack to it?? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts