Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got MFD Navi Version D, ive also got the Nokia Advanced Car Kit CK-7W installed which cuts out the radio and uses the cars speakers whenever i get/make a call.

When i installed the VW OEM iPod adapter kit i had to take a wire out of the black multi-way connector and plug that into a single connector on a brown wire from the new ipod harness (which replaces the cd player harness) and another brown wire from the new harness connects in place of that removed wire in the black multi-way connector, then you plug the new harness in.

The iPod works - Great!

But - whenever i receive/make a call i cant hear anything, and also the radio station is not shown on the digital display on the speedo console, and strangely the radio is quiet if i put the phone in its cradle before i turn the ignition/radio on, but if i eject the phone the radio volume comes on!

If i unplug the iPod it makes no difference to the phone being heard.

Please help as i need to have my phone working - its my livelihood!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Radio display in FIS, steering wheel controls (if fitted) and Telephone audi input to radio all go in through the green plug part of the green, yellow, blue multi-part plug on the back of the MFD. You will have unplugged these to swap the Blue part for the iPOD adaptor. Check you've (i) put them back in teh correct order and (ii) put them back pushing them in fully - no bent pins etc.

Phone mute function is carried through the main black connector and so would be unaffected if you hadn't plugged the green/yellow plugs in properly...

Hope that helps...

Adrian.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I unplugged the green, blue and yellow connector block completely to plug in the new one off the ipod harness, should i have only unplugged a certain colour section?

I'll take a photo of the back of the mfd to show you what ive done.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ahh... my guess is that the yellow and green ones on the iPod kit are empty. They're not needed...

You should be using the Blue one from the iPod kit and the Yellow and Green ones from the car.

Hope that helps! - let me know how you get on...

ta...

Adrian.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct - the yellow & green on the ipod kit are empty :)

Im gonna go out to my car now and check it out, if thats the case then ill swap the green & yellow and let you know.

Cheers Adrian...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately im having a bit of trouble getting the unit back out, ive 2x dodgy replica removal keys and 2x DIY cut-up Credit Card keys, so im opting to first try removing the air-con control unit to see if i can help lever it back out, if not then im going to get 4x proper keys from the Stealers tomorrow.

So it will have to wait until tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right here goes; the green connector had wires coming into it so therefore i swapped it with the blank one supplied with the ipod kit, thus the yellow still remained blank as the old connector was also blank. No change on the phone front though.

The old blue connector has these colour wires - Red, Blue, Purple, Black, Yellow, Green, Grey & White.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
201 Posts
OK, so just to check, you've got the blue plug from the Ipod kit. The green plug from teh car and the yellow plug from wherever (doesn't actually matter).

They should be in the order Blue, Green, Yellow and should slot together and all be seated correctly.

Can't remember what head unit you have, but here: http://www.vwnavi.com/vwnavi/photos/albums/userpics/ConnectorDiag.JPG is a picture of the label on the MFD Navi Unit which shows the ISO plug. CD = Blue. Display (and telephone and control) = Green and Audio Out = Yellow.

OK, assuming that is all OK then the problem may well be elsewhere.

We need to figure out if the carphone audio went through the Stereo or just through teh speakers. Couple of questions for you:

1. When it was working, could you adjust telephone volume with stereo volume? (if yes, audio went through stereo and speakers)

2. Is the FIS display (Dashboard) showing radio station OK again? (green wire connected OK)

3. It is possible to have 2 green plugs (one for car / display and other for telephone) and to combine them using a loom like this: http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/rem_y_phone.asp - you don't have any spare cables in teh dash do you?

4. Do you know where your car kit has been installed? we may need to trace the wires back to that depending upon your answer to (1)

Anyway, that's enough to be getting on with. Please can you let me know what the answers to teh above are and we'll start again on this!

"Never give up, Never surrender" and all that...

Cheers...

A.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Correct yes, ive got the blue plug from the Ipod kit. The green plug from the car and the yellow plug from wherever. They are in order and slotted together.

See the ISO Plug diagram with re-routed wire circled: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/seankenyon/VWISOWiringDiagram.jpg

1. i could adjust the volume through the MFD Version D Sat Nav Yes, it definately came through the speakers & stereo.

2. Yes once i plugged the correct Green section back in the FIS display worked fine thanks.

3. If i was to use this combination loom the only spare cable i have that i would be plugging it into would be the old blue connector.

4. All i can see is the cradle with the main cradle wire and a black wire coming from the cradle but i cant see where it goes.

Unfortuantely the wire which has been re-routed on the ISO diagram (is it the earth?) i had a mess with and ended up putting a block connector which i think slipped off and thus there was a slight smell of smoke and thus the radio doesnt work now, checked the fuses, they seem ok, any ideas how to fix that?

I tried reverting the setup back to normal but that didnt work, but now youve mentioned the volume control from the MFD i seem to remember having to re-enter the radio code after re-routing that single wire and im wondering if the volume control has turned off and its as simple as that...

Ive been hard at it trying to solve this for the last 3 hours since getting home from work, i refuse to give in...

Thanks in advance and in the past for your help :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
OK...

If it came through the speakers and the stereo, the wires in the TEL+ and TEL- pins of the green connector (look at either your or my ISO diagrams) should go to the CK7W car kit. If there is no wires in those pins, we need to either look for a combining adaptor loom and the rest of the car kit that's dropped down behind the dash or we need to consider the possibility that it connected in another way. Have a look - can you trace these back to the car phone kit?

If you can, then we've confirmed all is connected correctly and it may well just be the volume setting in the audio menu. IIRC by pressing Audio twice then volume settings. If you can't, then we need to start the other way around - find the CK7W and trace it towards the stereo to find out how it actually used to connect. Once you've found teh CK7W control box (trace the cradle cable back) this will be easy; there are 4 connections, 2 of which are jack plug (headphone socket type) connections. One for MIC (the smaller of the two), one for Speaker. The speaker one will be the one driving the MFD / Car Speakers. You need to trace that towards the MFD.

Thinking about it, the standard Nokia plugs have a bayonet latch mechanism on them to stop them pulling out, but the aftermarket plugs don't - maybe the speaker jack-plug has pulled out from the CK7W. The more I think about it, you need to find the car kit and work from there to the Stereo.

OK, finally, to fix the earth problem, you should just need to connect the two ends of teh spliced wire together again and enter your code to re-activate the MFD. You need to be careful though - "cables came apart" and "burning smell" are not what we want to be hearing here! Don't want to witness you blowing fuses, frying your MFD, or setting light to your audio wiring loom!

OK let's see where that little lot gets us...

Good Luck; speak soon! [;)]

A.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok ill try all that out as soon as i can, probably at 12 midday.

But in the mean time the radio isnt even switching on to enter the code, i checked fuse 42 and it seemed fine, i checked the fuse in the back of the radio and that seemed ok too, any ideas what to check next, or is it fried?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The wire is ground so I doubt that it fried the MFD. Loose wires usually short to ground so you're probably OK. But do be careful!

I'd check (with a meter) the fuse in the back of the MFD and check that it's getting power (again with a meter). Also check that the ground (at the plug) is still giving a good conenction to the chassis.

Not your lucky week is it...

Adrian.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right i found the black Nokia box and behold what you said about the bayonet latch mechanism on them was right, it had pulled out, however which hole it goes back into is going to have to trial and error, first i have to get the radio working, however:

I pulled out every fuse and all were fine.

I tested the fuse on the radio with the ampmeter, that was fine, i also tested where the fuse plugs into and that had no reading.

I checked the earth with the ampmeter, that was fine.

I checked the power going into the radio with the ampmeter, that was fine.

However the power output to the speakers was zero, i think ive blown something on the PCB :-(

·
Registered
201 Posts
Aw man, what is it with cars, if it's not one thing it's another...

OK, car phone is easy. Two plugs are different sizes. Headphone jack (3.5mm) sized and mini headphone jack (2.5mm??) sized. Anyway, the speaker is the larger of the two - you can't get them the wrong way around, they won't fit and stay plugged in. If that doesn't help, the case does have labels (on the back I think) - with the description of the plug cast into the black plastic.

On to the MFD...

So, to check: +12V Supply and Ground supply to the MFD are definately both fine?

- MFD Fuse checks out OK.

- Is there any display on the screen?

- Have you totally removed the unit and re-installed it from scratch; maybe it's gone into some sort of "protection" mode. I know that teh amplifier goes into thermal protection if you drive it really hard long before you do any permanent damage.

- Which cable shorted to where and do you think it was the end connected to teh Car or to the MFD?

More "Questions and Answers" I'm afraid...

A.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The car phone connection is similar to the blue/green/yellow connector only in 1 piece but has 20x pins, its a wire out of that connector thats removed itself, there is no label so it will be trial and error still.

The +12V Supply and Ground supply to the MFD are definately both fine.

There is no display on screen, it wont turn on.

Ive not totally removed the unit and re-installed it no, ill give it a try.

The cable that shorted was the one which was re-routed (circled on the ISO diagram) i think it was the end connected to the MFD, but not 100%

·
Registered
201 Posts
OK, now you have me a little confused. The CK7W doesn't have a plug like that. I've attached a picture of one below...

Posted Image

From Left to right, the connectors are power, phone cradle, Nokia Button, Mic and Speaker. I think you're describing an autoleads telemute lead control box. Size-wize, the autoleads box is about 0.5 a cigrette packet whereas the CK7W is about 1.5 times. You should be able to trace which wire the leads were pulled out of by looking for a slot without a cable - must have been some force to pull the cable from the crimp.

What about the MFD; you say you tested with an ammeter (sorry if I'm being patronising) but you did remove the fuse and test the resistance across it to be zero (or very low) rather than just leaving the meter set to volts or amps - sorry, but I do have to check! Might be worth replacing with another 10A fuse if your even a little unsure. Might also be worth removing the ipod stuff for the moment and reinstating the loom so the car earth goes straight to teh MFD earth without the earth splice that you put in for the ipod kit. We need to try to rule out areas so we can home in on the fault (which i hope isn't a fried MFD).

While you're checking stuff, would also be worth checking the other wires on the loom to see if any of them are damaged. We need to find what wire got shorted and where it shorted to... If it was teh earth wire, it must have touched something live. If not, what else shorted.

Finally, if you have got an autoleads adaptor, they're plug-and-play and generally power the phone from teh radio power source. Power usually goes through the loom to get to the stereo - you might want to check that more leads havent been pulled out - it could be the autoleads adaptor that gave up teh ghost... Is there any visible damage to the cables / plug? Does the phone still charge?

Let me know how you get on...

Good Luck...

A.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is what i was talking about, which turns out to be the telemute module you mentioned: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/seankenyon/Image012.jpg

But if you look at this picture: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/seankenyon/Image013.jpg you will see that it has come out of the connecotr but i dont know which socket to put it into because all have male receivers.

I checked out the cable running from the phone cradle, it goes from left to right around the back of the radio recess and i dont know where it goes then...

I have discovered another problem though, the interior illuminations/backlights and dials aren't on when io turn the lights on, any ideas?

Yes i removed the fuse and got zero, i totally removed the MFD and re-installed it to the original harness and got rid of the ipod harness, that didnt do anything, i also disconnected the battery which did nothing.

The phone still charges, i cant find anything in that looks like an adaptor, all the cables seem fine, nothing melted anyway.

Im going a wedding at 10.30 tomorrow and wont be back until sunday night, so apologies if i go quiet.

Thanks, Sean.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Sean,

Hope the wedding went well...

Nokia CK7W is probably down behind the climatronic or behind the lower trims under the steering wheel.

The list of problems seems to be growing; I'd really suggest that you get someone who is familar with auto electronics to ride shotgun through the rest of this. I'm happy to keep helping, but you need to take care with the loom as it seems to have had a beating. If the loom is still providing power to charge the phone, that would seem to confirm the stereo loom is OK. I have to say that doesn't bode well for the MFD. Do you have any mates with VW's (Golf IV, Bora, Passat) that you could test the MFD in? Only way to reliably establish whether the MFD or the Loom suffered most due to the short.

The "short / smoke" incident and the "pulled out" damaged to the earth wire / telemute lead make me wonder what other damage has been done to the loom - has it had a yank or been crushed by the MFD (very little space behind them with Golfs). Suggest you check it out carefully so we find any more surprises before they spring on us. I'd strongly suggest disconnecting the battery before doing this - just in case.

Hopefully the illumination is just a blown fuse - fall-out from the short you described. Check the relevent fuses with the multimeter - remove them and use continuity / resistance test.

OK, go through that lot and let me know how you get on - please treat the loom gently, it doesn't seem to be happy. Work with battery disconnected if you're unsure.

Speak soon...

Adrian.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts