Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

What do you make of this:

Just looking at my new GT TDi this morning and noticed this oddity around the top corner of the door. Only picked up new the day previous..... other side looks slick which makes this look odd. It's a 3 door model.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Extra air vents???? [:D]

Nah seriously, as goldgolf said take it back.....

something is not right there, hope you get it sorted okay

·
Registered
538 Posts
my door alignment on my 3 door 55 plate GTi is also poor but at the rear edge, dealer had a look only managed to dent the door in 5 places. the outer door skin can be unbolted and removed and I wonder if this poor fit is something to do with that. If yours is a brand new car I would take it straight back and refuse to take it away until something is agreed. Is the wind noise ok from the door, mine is not really acceptable from a 20 grand car and will be going back soon.

The build quality on the mk5 really isn't up to scratch, its like its been built on a budget but this has not been reflected in the purchase price.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had poor alignment on my drivers door it is also a 3 door but mine was at the rear,yours looks like the door skin has not been fitted to the door frame correctly as other people have said take it back.

This is a problem with the MK5 that VW now about that is why they are bringing forward this cars replacement as the cost of reworking these doors and manufacturing this car is too expensive so we can look forward to a more cheaply made replacement in the next couple of years !.

Pete.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers.

well, i've started to document the course of events and have sent the first letter to the dealership demonstrating what the point we are at and what's been agreed. I've highlighted verbally and written that I do not want any bodywork resprayed or changed. If they try and bodge it then I will have to persue the rejection route as I cannot live with a 18k car which was came out of the factory faulty!

hopefully it is a simple door skin adjustment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i drifted by a local dealer today and scoured the car park to look at MK V Golf 3 Doors. I was astonished to see how many have the same alignment issues that I have.

I took it one step further and visited the bodyshop were one of the monkeys told me that this was a common issue for folks to complain about.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I did the same thing when I first noticed mine wasn't great to see if it was just a problem on my car, I was also suprised at the amount of cars which all had poor alignment, all 3 door models. Like I've said before I really don't think the build quality on the mk5 is the best.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Whats annoying is that these cars are being passed at the factory as being fit for sale, when clearly they do not come up to the standards we expect off VW, and the standards of quaility they use as a selling point.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
the "funny" thing about VW is that they are rusinh through the mk6 because the doors on the mk5 are too expensive. Yep and even with that expense, you can't make 'em fit properly.

I doubt that their QC Dept check every car - just a small random percentage

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,

I don't understand this comment:

"... they are rusinh through the mk6 because the doors on the mk5 are too expensive"

too expensive?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Its was extablished a few months back that the mk6 Golf etc will be with us sooner than planned. VW normally get a good number of years out of a particular model, but due to high production costs compared to "the opposition" the mk6 is on its way.

As said above, the physical construction of the doors is complex, expensive, and not giving uniform good results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks.

well as long as they manage to sort my door out by tweaking it (and not re-spaying) I shall be happy.

could that mean that the MK6 will be cheaper quality?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes you are correct in that VW are making the new car cheaper to build although the retail price will not reflect this in any way,As for the build quality it could be better than the MK5.

The idea behind the doors on the MK5 was to make them cheaper to repair as the outer door skin is bolted on to the door frame and not folded over as on other cars,But it has backfired in a big way as as you have found and me too that they do not fit as they should on a car costing this much.

I wonder if the new Audi A3 has problems like this as it is the same car underneath.

Pete.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ohh well, here's the story so far.

dealer has had it to the body shop, on close inspection it appears some monkey has loosened off the top door hinge and tried to shuv the door in. Unfortunatley this has made little improvement and the top of the door still sticks out - can't believe they ever though I would be happy with it!

To add insult to injury one of the hinge bolt is hanging out loose!

dealer principle has inspected and agree (I've got a witness) that yes it still doesn't look right and that this is a problem that was there when it came out of the factory.

dealer is now contacting VW on Monday in order to decide on a way forward as they know of no other method to sort this problem.

so far I'm really disappointed that my new car still isn't right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, to those who are watching this thread, here are the result after 'bodyshop' adjustments. Not perfect but better:

·
Registered
538 Posts
like you have said, it isn't perfect is it, not what you would expect from a so called quality car. Mines the same , they had a go at improving it and managed to dent it in several places, which meant they had to get a paintless dent guy to fix that, but its still not perfect and its the first thing I see everytime I look at the car. Not impressed, I don't think I'll let them mess with it anymore unless a definate fix becomes available.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts