Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I want some new ones, as the ones I have are starting to look a bit tired.
What should I get though? I want something a bit different, not just the letters. Anyone know any decent websites to order from, or got any photo's to give me inspiration?

Also, I drive a Bolf, so should I put 'Bolf' somewhere on it, or would that look stupid?

All opinions welcome!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, wasn't very clear. I don't want a private plate, my plate is just normal - W116*** (privacy you know!) - I just want a new plastic number plate with a vw logo on or something. Some of the online creators let you write a little message at the bottom of the number plate where "Northfield Volkswagen" or something like that, would go. Would writing "Bolf" there look stupid?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh right, sorry. I get you now! I dunno if that would work. 'Facelift' maybe. But then they'd think that I'd had a facelift or something (and they'd also think I didn't get value for money![:$])

Maybe something like "GOLF or BORA?" Then other Golf owners would look and be interested. I don't expect non VW drivers to notice thge difference really

·
Super Moderator
50,204 Posts
But I thought that legally now you're not supposed to have anything other than the registration letters on your plate,not even the name of the garage that supplied the car,or the people who made the plate?

Chris.

·
Registered
906 Posts
on my last car i had the VW sign behind the numbers. You could see it if you were close to teh car and passed its MOT every time with no problems.

I think your not meant ot have anything on plates now apart from reg letters and garage.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Oh right, sorry. I get you now! I dunno if that would work. 'Facelift' maybe. But then they'd think that I'd had a facelift or something (and they'd also think I didn't get value for money![:$])

Maybe something like "GOLF or BORA?" Then other Golf owners would look and be interested. I don't expect non VW drivers to notice thge difference really
Nah that would much cooler if you did it on the actual rear badge, change the letters.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The only thing you legally have to have on plates is the place the plates were made (and the reg obviously[:p]). This is so if the plates are incorrectly spaced or made to look like something different, the police can find out who made the plates and if they do not specify the plates are for show use only they can be fined for making illegal plates for use on the road.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You drive a bolf? Since when?

And why haven't I seen any pics [:p]
It's not quite ready yet! A bump strip is going in today, as are front fog lights (in the grille space at the bottom) and halogens early next week, so I'll have a 'photo shoot' then!
I'm struggling at the moment though. The car's indigo blue, and SE so the bump strips are black. But I like them that way, the black strips compliment the black seals around the windows I think. I recon I'll have to colour code them eventually though, so I don't come up against any 'GT Spec snobbery'!

Nah that would much cooler if you did it on the actual rear badge, change the letters.
I've got BORA badge actually, would BOLF look good or not?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've just checked the dvla website and it doesn't really mention much about
having stuff on there, what I wanted was a number plate with a light blue border with the same blue vw logo's each side. But that looks unlikely now!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I've got BORA badge actually, would BOLF look good or not?
Of course it would good, especially if you act like as if it came from the factory this way [:p]

Hey mate, nice B... errr BOLF?

Yeah thanks mate, bought it new [:p]

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's up to you about what you get but bare in mind that anything apart from what you normally find on a plate is illegal. I got some "showplates" that I've "accidently left on my car after taking photos" that have got different font, an Everton badge in a border with some writing underneath (all of which are illegal on the road) & I haven't been pulled once.

As for a place where you can get them, I can't recommend www.createmyplates.com highly enough, I had an exact design in mind for ages & looked but couldn't get any joy & gave up, then a few months later I decided to look again & just get whatever was closest. I sent these guys an email because I couldn't make exactly what I wanted on their site & within a couple of hours they emailed me back saying they'd added what I wanted to the plate builder.

I'll definately be going back to them if I need to get new plates made up when I swap my car.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Of course it would good, especially if you act like as if it came from the factory this way [:p]

Hey mate, nice B... errr BOLF?

Yeah thanks mate, bought it new [:p]
If you're talking about doing that to a dealers, they wouldn't think anything of it.

Parts guy one (while checking database for engine cover): So that was for a Bora?

Me: No it's a Golf

Guy one: Ok

Parts guy two, goes outside and looks at car: It's a Golf with a Bora front, is that in the database as something different?

Me (thinks): No you dumpling because VW never offered it like that - I did it myself

1 - 20 of 39 Posts