Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my number plate currently reads ABC 11D, but i have got plates made up without the space in between.. i.e. ABC11D (dont ask me how but got the dealer stamp at the bottom!!!)

anyways, to my questions...

1) What are the chances of getting caught?

2) What will they say/ask me?

3) Will the supplying dealership get into trouble?

hope some1 has the answers!!

Barry

·
Registered
445 Posts
you should be ok if you dont mess with the size or shap of the letters/numbers and just push them up together. but at the end of the day its still a chance you take.. mines R1 5TAR touch wood no real probs for around 2 years..

·
Registered
98 Posts

Hope this helps..............

THE LAW

The law states that,

• You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers
  • Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC).

Offences may result in any or all of the following:

• A fine of up to ?1,000 You Not the Dealer
  • The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN
  • The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test

Full details of the requirements are included in The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

Number plates fitted after 1 September 2001 must display characters that meet the dimensions shown below.

Characters
Height 79mm
Width (except the figure 1 or letter l)50mm
Stroke14mm
Space between characters11mm
Space between groups33mm
Top, bottom and side margins (minimum)11mm
Space between vertical lines19mm

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
As already said unless you alter the text type then usually your ok, At worst you'd get a ?30 fine and told to put the plates back to standard. Its worth having a set of Mot legal plates incase your local testing station are really strict.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Baz4 - you should be OK as long as your plate is still in the correct font and perfectly legible.

I have to say though I totally disagree with people messing with their number plates. The last thing anyone would want is to suffer from a hit and run, witness some car incident and then not be able to report the incident as they could not read the number plate. [:S]

The worst offenders are people who completely change the shape of letters by doing things like printing a 6 like it is a G, put a black dot in between two closely spaces 1s to make it look like H etc.

I remember seing a plate showing Ji11 ORR, she had actually had the first 1 printed as a small i. About a month later I saw the same car with a correct number plate. No doubt the police had told her to sort it.

Sorry, rant over now [:p]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Baz4 - you should be OK as long as your plate is still in the correct font and perfectly legible.

I have to say though I totally disagree with people messing with their number plates. The last thing anyone would want is to suffer from a hit and run, witness some car incident and then not be able to report the incident as they could not read the number plate. [:S]

The worst offenders are people who completely change the shape of letters by doing things like printing a 6 like it is a G, put a black dot in between two closely spaces 1s to make it look like H etc.

I remember seing a plate showing Ji11 ORR, she had actually had the first 1 printed as a small i. About a month later I saw the same car with a correct number plate. No doubt the police had told her to sort it.

Sorry, rant over now [:p]
I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments entirely on this subject. I could elaborate and say what I think of those poor souls who feel the need to alter their number plates in this way - but I won't here, for fear of offending!

Suffice it to say, the police are already occupied with so much more serious crime, that they can't address the proliferation of 'illegal' plates that I see around me, on our roads, from day to day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx for all the replies guys, i am also totally against changing the shape of letters/numbers or even different fonts and sizes. although i dont believe i am making it anymore difficult to read.. if i were to ever "hit n run" i'm sure the person could just read my name on the plate and the investigators would just track down the few variations that make my name(all owned by me anyway!!)

marvin, i agree with you.. if you cant afford a decent plate.. don't buy one!!

the plates have been made and will be going on the car as soon as its had a good polish...

Barry

·
Registered
874 Posts
My brother just got pulled over for this very thing last week.

He's got a Civic Jordan with the number J40 RDN.

He had it spaced so that it wasn't separated into groups, i.e it read J40RDN. Totally legal font size, style etc, only the spacing was out.

Police car spotted him going in the other direction to pulled a u-turn and pulled him over.

Their excuse was that if he was involved in an accident someone would say that his plate read "Jordan" rather than what it really was so they wouldn't be able to track him.

Told him that they could give him ?30 fine for each plate but they would just get him to change them and present it to an MOT station within 21 days.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did they ask him any other questions? did he have a dealership stamp at the bottom of the plate?

i dont mind getting a fine, as long as they can't give me 3 points.

has anyone ever been pulled over for their tints? can you get 3 points for having an illegal tint?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I saw a highly illegal plate at the 'Ring in May and can't believe the kid has the balls to drive round with it.

It was on a Clio and read something like V6 CLO but he had put an 'i' (about half the size of the other letters) in between the L and O[:O] I just couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I would guess a lot would depend on your driving style. If you drive in a responsible manner you should be OK, but if you are "boy racer" and attract bad attention to yourself they could get real fussy and pull you over for it.

Changing the spacing is illegal according to the DVLA, but i have also seen plates here that read "piano" and "poons" and they middle aged families and don't get hassled at all.

i wouldn't do it, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I saw a highly illegal plate at the 'Ring in May and can't believe the kid has the balls to drive round with it.

It was on a Clio and read something like V6 CLO but he had put
an 'i' (about half the size of the other letters) in between the L and
O[:O] I just couldn't believe it.
I saw a bentley Gt tonight, and the plate was S11MYD
and he stuck 2 black bolts inbetween the 1's to make it
read SAMY D

I mean if u're gonna do that, u might as well just get a false
plate made up - it's no f'ing different seeing as they've pee'd around
with it so blatently already!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to let you all know, I decided against puting the plates on my car.

Although my car is nowhere near 'boy racer' the only reason I didn't go for it was because I don't want the police stopping me to warn me about the number plate and also asking me to remove my front tint.

Before you all start on me for having the front tinted... its not that dark and i think it looks really nasty when only the rear windows are tinted!

Barry

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Before you all start on me for having the front tinted... its not that dark and i think it looks really nasty when only the rear windows are tinted!

Barry
Now don't you get me started on what I think of tinted windows. One aspect that is essential in every day driving is often to be able to see the driver's face, say, at road junctions, so that those little nuances of communication can be effected and appropriate action taken. If you obscure your face or expression from other fellow drivers, then you, ultimately, are asking for trouble. IMHO of course.

Apart from all that, cars with excessive tints look just plain daft and tarty and indicate the moronic nature of their drivers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now don't you get me started on what I think of tinted windows. One aspect that is essential in every day driving is often to be able to see the driver's face, say, at road junctions, so that those little nuances of communication can be effected and appropriate action taken. If you obscure your face or expression from other fellow drivers, then you, ultimately, are asking for trouble. IMHO of course.

Apart from all that, cars with excessive tints look just plain daft and tarty and indicate the moronic nature of their drivers.
Agree 100% to that. Plus any additional tint at the front must reduce your ability to see other road users in poor light conditions. That other road user might be me!
A 20% tint means you see 20% less and that's not acceptable.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Saw a very good "totally legal" plate the other day - TOY 130Y on an Audi A4 Cabriolet. I've also seen BAD 13OY on a Merc.  It amazes me how far some people will go with doctoring their plates. Some I've seen have been virtually impossible to figure out what the actual reg should be. In this case, I think the perpetrators should have the book thrown at them and get a heavy fine and a 6 month ban.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I was passed by a "tuned" Clio the other day - the exhaust was so loud I heard the car before I saw it in the rear view mirror.

The plate was L00 UDR with the spacing adjusted to read L00UDR. Can't imagine it'll be long before he's picked up, especially if he continues to overtake on solid white lines ...

·
Jamesy
4,772 Posts
quote: I have to say though I totally disagree with people messing with their number plates. The last thing anyone would want is to suffer from a hit and run, witness some car incident and then not be able to report the incident as they could not read the number plate.

I disagree to that I find reading a numberplate that actually sais a word is much easier then remembering a properly spaced plate, unless you can quickly put all the numbers and letters together and figure out what its ment to read if it was illigally spaced.

Maybe its just me lol.

J

·
NooNoo
9,398 Posts
Can't believe you are prepared to run illegal front tints (that ARE dangerous) and not run modified plates.

The lesser crime he is the modified plate, front tints is just plain stupid.

I hope anyone here running them gets the rozzers to watch them tear them up.

[:)]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts