Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had their plate cloned and got any advice on moving forward from any issues?

I've only received one PCN so far, which I have challenged, and I have informed the local police of the cloning.

Now, it's all well and good that it's been flagged to the police, but the bit that gets me down is that I'm going to be getting pulled over now that the car is marked as a cloned vehicle on the PNC. Although, I know it's just an inconvenience and I have enough proof that mine is the genuine car so nothing will come from it.

I suppose a quick fix is just to get a private plate, and then the other car will just be marked as being on false plates and I'll be effectively 'free' of this issue, only having to deal with the remainder of the backlog of any other penalties committed by my unwanted twin thus far.

Frustrating, but I know it can happen to any car and that it is becoming a more regular occurrence.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Give your insurance company the crime number & details of what happening. Plus contact the police force who issued the fine. Detail all trips you make from now on: either via your mobile/a tracker/dashcam footage. Go over any pics you've posted online and make sure your number plate & VIN number aren't visible. If these are, take down immediately. If you do have to take the car to a garage for servicing/fixing, make sure they know only to speak with you. If you can, stay with it - trust no-one.

Also contact the DVLA to let them know. Anyone with the cloned plate will be able to get a copy of your V5C. Best check on the website to see when the last one was ordered. (Date of last V5C (logbook) issued DD Month Year) If it the date on there is for when you brought the car, then that's good. If not, they you may have problems with proving ownership as the one running the cloned plates can use it to argue, just to make things difficult.

Unfortunately, this can mean you being pulled over/followed more often than you'd like, especially if travelling during the late evening/night time. Even if you change the plate, the original reg plate can be traced back to you. I wouldn't change it, otherwise it can make you look more suspect than the one you accuse of being on cloned plates.

Most on cloned plates get the real owners parking fines & speeding tickets. These aren't used to dodge the ULEZ zones - they use the plates from electric/hybrid vehicles for that, not a mk4 Golf.

This is your car, so you should not change anything about it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There should be relatively few problems with the Rozzers, if they pull you over they will see that your vin plate/Chassis Number is intact & unaltered and will move on, there are other potential issues, but rozzers should not be problem.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice both.

Took a while to get through everything, but all relevant parties notified and no further PCNs received thankfully. Appeal takes up to 56 days from the council who issued the penalty, so that's just a waiting game.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts