Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got round to a remap on my mkV GTI.  I opted for the Morego250 conversion - that's a remap plus a Miltek exhaust.  The car is transformed. The power comes in very smoothly and there's still minimal lag from the turbo.  The biggest difference is higher in the rev range, where the car now pulls very hard, right to the red line, where the standard GTI runs out of steam.  It's now considerably faster than the standard car, yet completely manageable.  The chassis copes just fine.  The miltek sounds and looks great too. I came accross a mate of mine in his scooby sti a few days ago and he saw me and floored it... I kept up very easily. If it had been wet, then he would have pulled away, as 250bhp in the GTI does envoke the traction a fair bit in the wet - buy ou just adapt your driving style to the conditions and all is OK.  I did check with my mate that he was giving it plenty - he was. So, worth getting 50bhp on your GTI? You bet it is! Now I have a golf that is quicker than a mkV R32 (in the dry) and way better looking! If you are any doubt about what a remap will do to your car, don't be! It's made a great car, well, even greater!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sooooo tempting, when i had my TT done by AmD, i had a huge grin for ages, i would guess the GTI is really quick with no 4wd transmission losses, from what i remember my economy improved on the TT by 3-4mpg when driving normally (which was hard to do)

Do you have DSG ? and do you know how much torque your car made ? getting seriously tempted

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sooooo tempting, when i had my TT done by AmD, i had a huge grin for ages, i would guess the GTI is really quick with no 4wd transmission losses, from what i remember my economy improved on the TT by 3-4mpg when driving normally (which was hard to do)

Do you have DSG ? and do you know how much torque your car made ? getting seriously tempted
Just seen your sig [:$] any ideas on the torque though

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel economy has improved by approx 4mpg actually - although when I put my foot down hard, it gets a little worse than before the remap - so all in all, it about evens up I guess. Cost was £1,000 for the remap and exhaust.  Total cost of the car (including mods) now at just shy of £26k, still cheaper than an R32 with the same spec as my GTI - which was nearer £28 to £29k. If you only add a miltek to your gti, then you'll be happy. I'll take a pic of it sitting on my gti and post it for you - really looks good, fits perfectly and sounds great. Not loud at all - which you wouldn't want - just a nice deep growl when it counts! I've been told that my gti should be pulling 60 in approx six seconds and 100mph in 15 secs, which seems about right. The answer to why I claim it's quicker than an R32 is a work colleague has a mkV R32 and we've played a couple of times on the road home - I won - just! In the wet - he won - easily I'm sorry to say!  I don't have actual power or torque figures for my gti as Morego do not include a rolling road session - but there's details of this on their web site. This is the third car I've had remapped (previously a TT running 270bhp & before that an S3 with 255bhp) and I've never looked back  -no problems at all with either cars and I did about 50,000 miles on each. Now I'm looking at the new S3 as my next purchase and with 260bhp standard, that will equate to 300 plus remapped - tempting!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds good, my GTi had the full miltek plus a remap and was excellent, well worth considering for the relatively modest outlay IMO.

Now the new S3 that is very, very tempting......

·
Registered
20 Posts
The car would be running 350nm of torque, seems to be the torque increase people have been getting. Thing is it goes right to red line now as well which would make a huge difference!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The car would be running 350nm of torque, seems to be the torque increase people have been getting. Thing is it goes right to red line now as well which would make a huge difference!!
Spot on - it does now rev right to the red line and yes, that makes ahuge difference. Here's a link to Morego, detailing the miltek I have and the remap. I would say to anyone considering a remap to maybe try it first? Most tuning companies will have a demo car and why not try that? You'll be suprised just how fast the GTI is once it gets 250bhp under its bonnet! The chassis copes - that's the real suprise to many people.

http://www.morego.co.uk/product_details.php?id=1627

·
Registered
91 Posts
The should be ok (believe they are they same 312mm set-up as the 225 TT) although i did change my Discs to EBC drilled and grooved with 'redstuff' ceramic pads and TBH the braking performance on a single stop was about the same it was only when braking hard in quick sucession that the difference was noticeable, now a 'Big Brake' kit would make a huge difference 

·
Registered
169 Posts
Whats the difference between Morego and APR?  APR seem to charge £500 for 250 bhp and where else Morego charge another £500 on top for the same power output? there must be a difference between the two?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I finally got round to a remap on my mkV GTI. I opted for the Morego250 conversion - that's a remap plus a Miltek exhaust. The car is transformed.
I'm thinking of doing something similar, but need to factor in all the costs.
How much did a 250bhp conversion push up the insurance?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Whats the difference between Morego and APR? APR seem to charge £500 for 250 bhp and where else Morego charge another £500 on top for the same power output? there must be a difference between the two?
He said £1,000 was for the remap and the exhaust, so its a comparable cost.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brakes are just fine with the extra horses. If I drove the car flat out everywhere I would probably uprate them, but in reality, I just accelerate faster - I don't actually drive around at any higher speeds - if that makes any sense?! The standard gti brakes are very good - easily OK with 250bhp.

Insurance went up by just £55 which was painless I suppose. On my last car (TT with 270bhp) it went up £150 when I had a AmD remap and Miltek fitted.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whats the difference between Morego and APR? APR seem to charge £500 for 250 bhp and where else Morego charge another £500 on top for the same power output? there must be a difference between the two?
Morego250 conversion is £500 remap + £500 miltek = £1,000

·
Registered
74 Posts
I finally got round to a remap on my mkV GTI. I opted for the Morego250 conversion - that's a remap plus a Miltek exhaust. The car is transformed.
I'm thinking of doing something similar, but need to factor in all the costs.
How much did a 250bhp conversion push up the insurance?
No replies. Does that mean you just keep quiet about the mods as far as insurance is concerned?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts