Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Against my usual common judgement, i decided to book the MK4 in to VW for an annual service (30k) to keep the service history looking good. They quoted me ?177 inc FAT for the service which i thought was way way too much, but felt i didnt have a choice.

Picked the car up this morning,........ bill...?380 !!!

They did the tracking and plugged the alarm back in and the plug on the drivers window had fallen out and i hadnt bothered to check it first. They didnt wash it either...?75+FAT an hour. Charged me for 2.5 hours worth of work for plugging in two things and doing the 4 wheel laser alignment !

Ive just written a 3 page letter of complaint as they also didnt even turn off the service indicator light, and left the car overnight in their car park with the locking wheel nut sat clear as day on the passenger seat.

Caffyns Eastbourne....i warn you all stay well clear !!

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
AFAIK, they should have called you to tell you about the extra work......

If it was me, I wouldn't have paid more than what they quoted. Did that with my 60k service. Was quoted approx ?300 but they tried to charge me over ?500. Told them the price I was quoted, and they went off and brought another invoice for the correct amount (give or take a couple of pounds, literally).

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hope you havent paid yet??

If they hadnt called to get your authoriseation to do further work then DONT NOT PAY. They have no right to do anything extra on your car until you give them the go ahead.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

If they hadnt called to get your authoriseation to do further work then DONT NOT PAY. They have no right to do anything extra on your car until you give them the go ahead.
The problem i have got is that i asked them to check the tracking, alarm and door window. But asked that they call before doing anywork. So by me asking them to check it, have i fcuked myself...

I had to pay it because they wouldnt give me the keys.... i didnt pay by credit card either...debit card, is there anything the bank can do ?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
[

The problem i have got is that i asked them to check the tracking, alarm and door window. But asked that they call before doing anywork. So by me asking them to check it, have i fcuked myself...

I had to pay it because they wouldnt give me the keys.... i didnt pay by credit card either...debit card, is there anything the bank can do ?
You didnt fcuk yourself.

You asked them to check, but asked for a phone call before anywork was carried out, which they didnt do.

Here, we always give the customer a call to get authoriseation. If we cant get a hold of the customer then the only time we do any work is if it is safety related (eg brake pads down to metal,tyres excessivly worn) or if it is minor MOT repairs (bulbs,wipers,weld exhaust etc)

·
Registered
4,686 Posts

If they hadnt called to get your authoriseation to do further work
then DONT NOT PAY. They have no right to do anything extra on your car
until you give them the go ahead.
I had to pay it because they wouldnt give me the keys....
I would have gone back with the spare key and refused to pay the invoice until they return my old one / reduce bill....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have to agree with **** etc...

I have had the same crap service from most VW Dealers. I posted a moan here a month or so ago...

I hate it when they make you sound like your lying!

·
Registered
360 Posts
i decided to book the MK4 in to VW for an annual service (30k) to keep the service history looking good.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, yet again another customer [email protected]....

There are probably some good dealers out there, but....

To me service history looks better when its NOT from Vw.. My car only goes there for warranty work..

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think id take my spare keys and refuse to pay the bill untill it was at the quoted price. STEALERS are getting worse mines due the 60k its allready had the belts done im not even going to bother asking them how much for the service as i think there rates are well out of order seen as we have all bough 1 of there cars (new or used) they have still made a huge profit off the original purchase of the car.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I had some work done at John Ashley Service (official VW service centre), it took them an hour longer than quoted, but they didn't charge me extra as we had agreed the price beforehand. That's why I'm a regular customer there. Too bad you got done over.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well ive sent a very well put together 4 page letter outlining all of the issues. Ive even spoken to a solicitor for legal help and everything says i am right and they are wrong.

Ive asked for a full refund and even suggested i return the car to them so they can undo the work that they did, so i could take it somewhere else (or just do it myself)

So i`ll wait for a response to my letter and let you all know !

·
Registered
764 Posts
Good luck, i hope it works out for you.

I hope i dont get the same treatment you did, as mine is going in tomorrow.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i wrote a 4 page letter to the dealership, but received no response. So i wrote to Paul Willis, Director of Volkswagen UK. (another seperate 4 page letter) where i explained that if they didnt reasonably reply to the 16 points i raised then i would quite happily go to the press with my story.

Today i got a call from Paul Willis`s PA who said both Paul and her had read my letter in great detail and they agree that i had received a terrible service and that they would be contacting the dealership directly, and will write a response to me by the end of next week.

Lets hope i get a freebie and some goodies !!

I`ll keep you all posted...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well i wrote a 4 page letter to the dealership,
but received no response. So i wrote to Paul Willis, Director of
Volkswagen UK. (another seperate 4 page letter) where i explained
that if they didnt reasonably reply to the 16 points i raised then i
would quite happily go to the press with my story.

Today i got a call from Paul Willis`s PA who said both Paul and her
had read my letter in great detail and they agree that i had received a
terrible service and that they would be contacting the dealership
directly, and will write a response to me by the end of next week.

HI

have you got the address for Paul Willis that you can post up, because
i need to chase up my local vag dealership and then a letter to Paul
maybe about damage to both the sills on my bug that occurred at my last
service

Any tips with regard to the wording of the letter etc would also be greatly appreciated!

thanks

J

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
I got my 30000 mile service done at Wayside Towcester and although I got a stonking discount for the amount I've spent on Mk2s in my time.. I only paid ?78! so add back on my discounts and that's barely ?120-140!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i wrote a 4 page letter to the dealership, but received no response. So i wrote to Paul Willis, Director of Volkswagen UK. (another seperate 4 page letter) where i explained that if they didnt reasonably reply to the 16 points i raised then i would quite happily go to the press with my story.

Today i got a call from Paul Willis`s PA who said both Paul and her had read my letter in great detail and they agree that i had received a terrible service and that they would be contacting the dealership directly, and will write a response to me by the end of next week.

HI

have you got the address for Paul Willis that you can post up, because i need to chase up my local vag dealership and then a letter to Paul maybe about damage to both the sills on my bug that occurred at my last service

Any tips with regard to the wording of the letter etc would also be greatly appreciated!

thanks

J
Sure thing...

Paul Willis

Director

Volkswagen UK

Volkswagen Group (United Kingdom) Ltd

Yeomans Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire MK14 5AN

Tel: 01908 679121

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finally got a reply from the service manager at the dealership..4 weeks after i wrote my letter..

Totally unsatisfactory, and they have offered me a free MOT and 10% of the next service, which incidentally isnt due for another 12 months...

Letter gone back to them, and copied into the director of VWUK...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts