Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just filled up (?45[:|]) with Ultimate and there is definately a difference when driving. I've been using the standard Shell unleaded with a spot of Optimax now and again. Not sure of it's my imagination, or trying to justify the Optimax but I think there was an increase with this as well - not as much as BP though.

Be using again when finances allow. Seems to be more responsive and not, quieter I would say, more 'exhausty'/sporty type noise. We're not taking V6 here, just a noticable improvement of my V8 sounding 8V![:D]

BTW, when I was in BP, they have a cotainer of that high octane booster. Does this actually work? Just got me thinking since the Ultimate is 97 RON and seemed an improvement. What do you do, just pour a touch in when you fill up? Stuff can't do much for the engine long term though?? Just curious. OK, i'll be honest - i'm looking to give some Chavsters a go at the lights[:$] Might try a trick on the missus before she gets in the car as well. Second thoughts, that could turn nasty[6]. Won't bother.

Tried a search on all of this, but it doesn't seem to be working.

It's a 2.0L btw. Dunno if 1.8 or any other owners notice it.

Cheers,

Craig.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I notice the difference in my 1.6 when using BP ultimate or optimax.. BP does seem most noticable [Y]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I use their diesel, when mixed with millers diesel power its like rocket fuel [Y]

BTW, I wish my weekly derv bill was only ?45 [:'(]

·
Registered
558 Posts
I found a massive difference using Ultimate/Optimax when my mk2 was running its 2.0 16v.

Your lucky having just a ?45 fill up on Ultimate, my Mrs' Saab takes ?65 on run of the mill 85p 95 Ron.[:'(]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers boy's. So you reckon this octane booster could be worth a try then. Just didn't like to start pouring it in if it was going to cause grief.

I'll give it a go - never tried it before. Should be a laugh in my fat 2.0 - well for about 10 second until it burns the lot no doubt. Might give me an idea of what the 1.8t would be like[H]

Cheers,

Craig.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I put in ?10 worth of ultimate (92.7p/litre !!) just to give it a go
and I do see the car more willing to accelerate. If I could afford it,
I would always use atleast 97ron fuel 1) because it gives better
performance and 2) because I am sure its cleaner for the engine.
However, being the poor person that I am, I will probably be going back
to normal fuel soon :|

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have switched to super unleaded and wont go back to forecourt guff now. i also use the millers now and again,its about 3.50 a pop so on top of fuel its steep.but worth it.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It makes a difference whether you notice it or not, and saying that you will use it the next time you can afford it is odd as unless you drive it harder just because you have the better fuel it should produce a couple more miles to the gallon, in fact it should actualy be cheaper to run the 'good stuff' all the time as the extra mpg should outway the extra cost.

Its just that you can only 'see' the price when you fill up. I think its quite funny that people still debate facts on this just because they cant physically see them and doubt there truth.

Never mind, hope this is another long thread with lots of 'debating' [;)]

·
Registered
103 Posts
I defo get 2/3 mpg more on super out of my 1.8T. either bp or shell I find best. But the cost is not that much more, its only about 3 quid more for a full tank. even if you used that in a week that would be 42p a day. Not that really and if you take into account you should get more mpg that cost might even be a saving.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I defo get 2/3 mpg more on super out of my 1.8T. either bp or shell I find best. But the cost is not that much more, its only about 3 quid more for a full tank. even if you used that in a week that would be 42p a day. Not that really and if you take into account you should get more mpg that cost might even be a saving.
Using these figures, if it costs you ?3 more for a tank of 11 gallons and you acheive 3 mpg more then you are getting 33 miles more per tank. This roughly equates about a gallon (petrol) worth of miles, I guess. At 83 p per litre it will save you about 76p over the tank. All very rough but there are savings to be had!

Sarge

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
dont really matter how big the saving is, the fact is, that it dont actually cost you any more to use the "good" stuff........

do we get a better sound using it too?

·
Registered
440 Posts
At the moment I am using the Super Unleaded 97RON from Sainsburys in my MKV GTI.

When I was filling up the other day a BP lorry was filling the tanks, Does this mean it is really BP Ultimate, It was 83.9p/Litre

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i use the bp ulti aswel well i tried it for the 1st time when i put in ?20 i normally get abour 180 on my sdi, and when its near the white line before the reserve red zone (not the 1st but the 2nd white line) normall it shows me at like 108 miles done, at the moment its a lil before that and its showing 121miles done so there is a defo diff and the cars got alil more poke it matters when u only got 68bhp to play with.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have swithched my 1.6 over to BP ultimate now - been running on it for approx 4 weeks and here are my findings:

Increased MPG - can now get 48 mpg!

Increased power especially up in the 16V region

Much smoother running - engine purrs better than ever before

On the very very odd occasion the car feels a little jumpy but i'm putting this down to weather cinditions a bit more as I think about it - damp weather etc.. Plus on top of this I find it better than shell optimax - when I used that stuff the car was extremely jumpy and it created some kind of pinking from the engine - since using Ultimate this has nearly dissappeared (Touch Wood) [:S]

My overall opinion is that Ultimate wins my heart over - just a little on the expensive side. Mind you, you get what you pay for! [:D]

·
Registered
832 Posts
I just got 320 (80% Granny driving) miles from a full tank till the warning light from my 1.8t using bp ultimate, however i dunno how many miles a 1.8t normally gets from a tank [:S]

Any 1.8t owners car to share how many they get from a tank

1 - 20 of 34 Posts