Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have found the shift from 1st to 2nd (2002 130 tdi) especially in the morning,has to be very gentle and slow to be smooth, I,m not particularly impressed with the notchy nature of the beast. my wife,s 5 speed is so much smoother. Any suggestions on adjustibility would be welcome.

Great site by the way!

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Welcome to the forum [:)]

My cars exactly same going into 2nd, no idea why though! Someone will be able to shed some light on it

·
Registered
27 Posts
I notice this only when the engine and oil is stone cold. Thruth is no car should be rushed when starting up from temps like 30F.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Yeap that'll be a std trait that you have there. I even had a replacement gearbox under warranty and the new one is better but still not as smooth as the wife's MX-5. The six speed box is supposed to be better.

It gets a lot better once the transmission oil has warmed up, it's not nice in the winter, and even worse if you've got a short shift kit like I have.

VW just don't seem to be that good at gearboxes, all the previous mark of Golf's had problems with their gearboxes.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yep - mine has that "feature" too. I raised the very same question a couple of months ago. Took my mothers car (exactly the same) out for a spin - and guess what, hers does it too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same as most above - changing up or down to 2nd gear when cold is difficult to say the least. All other changes are fine. After 5 minutes and the car's warmed up, no problems at all.

Just one of those glitches I guess you learn to live with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Every Golf I have had ( mk1, mk2 and the R32 all have the clunky 2nd gear when cold). OK when warmed up. The six speed works well in all the other changes. Slightly shorter throw than the 2.8 4Mo version.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info guys, I'm calling in at the dealer 19th,who by the way sells vision plus bulbs for £20.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dealer has checked the box, low oil level which has been topped up.

Guess what? Doesn,t feel much different. Will go back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
OK, Being a bit new to 6spd boxes here's my tuppance worth..

I bought my Bora about a month ago, 83K miles not a problem me thought as I had owned a TDI 110 from new and did around 120K miles in it.

Hmm Gearbox shifting from 1st to 2nd CRUNCH if you were not SLOW and deliberate!!

This goes away AFTER the car has been driven a couple of miles (me thinks 2nd hand car dealer drove the car around before I test drove it....)

Rang my local ('friendly') VW garage, spoke to my usual guy in Service, he said that the first thing to do would be to replace Gearbox oil with 'Taff-ex' Spelling I am not sure about, and he would sell me the required amount if I brought in a 5litre container.

Havn't done this yet as my car went in for another problemette, and when I got it back the engineer's report said : 'Dragging clutch'....

Hmmm and the quote to fix this was something like £480 or £540 hmmmm

Think I will try the Oil option first, and he did say there were some 'adjustments' that could be done on the linkage to alleviate the problem (he seemed to know a lot about the problem, so I thought perhaps it migth be quite common).

--Roger

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thank god!!!

I thought I was going mad, my car has been doing this for a while now, good to know it's not just me experiencing this problem. car is up for a service soon, so will mention this and ask them to change gearbox fluid, and ajust the linkage. I am in agreement with post made by wrsquire, one of my mates is a mechanic and he thinks that's what it could be. Knowing VW they'll want to blow it out of proportion and charge me the earth.

Still have to do it if you want the rubber stamp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine was the same, car was booked in for service and I mentioned it to the service desk and they said they would have a look.

When I went to pick it up they said service done and fine and we've ordered you a new gearbox !

God job it was under warranty ! gearbox (6-speed) cost £1290.00+vat+fitting ! I was quoted £1690, I was also advised to think about getting the cultch replaced at the same time, I'd have to pay that bit. They did me a deal instead of £550 for the clutch I got it fitted for £216 so I had that done at the same time.

Now it's dead smooth (touch wood)!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car is exactly the same 99 GTI Turbo 150bhp had 3 gearboxes and have all done the same thing. Gears very notchy when cold. Once the car is warm the gears are ok.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ive got another thread goin asking just this question!

Mines 6speed is only notchy in 2nd, all others are fine

This is only when its cold too.

Cars out of warranty, but darko recons its an adjustment issue.

Was beginging to think it was just my car, but now im realising it must be a design issue.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
My '99 GTI is due to be handed in on Friday to investigate this annoying problem. It seems like this is a common issue!!!

mines is very notchy and somethimes impossibles to go between 1st and 2nd gear.

We'll see what VW say friday!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys

I've got an 03 Seat Ibiza PD130 with the 6-sp box, and guess what - mine's also really notchy going into 2nd when cold...

Anyone know how easy it is to change the gearbox oil on the 6-sp, and what type of oil they use ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts