Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gents, <o:p></o:p>

Have a bit of an issue at the moment and just wondering if anyone can shed some light on it for me.<o:p></o:p>

I changed my temp sensor about 3 months ago as it was being very temperamental. After changing it everything was ok and sitting bang on 90deg. Ever since winter has come I have not really got above 70deg, even after a long drive around town.<o:p></o:p>

I've had a search but not found a definitive answer.<o:p></o:p>

My initial thoughts were:<o:p></o:p>

Faulty temp sensor???<o:p></o:p>

Thermostat???<o:p></o:p>

What are your thoughts please?<o:p></o:p>

Cheers<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is the thermostat a diy job. i consider myself to be fairly competent and willing to take on a job

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If you give the car a blast the heaters should be too hot, if not I would be be changing the thermostat.

On the pd engine it's a total DIY job but I would honestly advise geting it from VW, along with the o-ring.

I went the QH route and the rubber seal was positivly rubbish which caused leaks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers guys. the heaters are fine so i may give the temp sensor a go again. i got the temp sensor off the dreaded ebay so this could be my problem. hopefully i'll get it sorted soon and see the mpg rise again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
mine did the same wouldnt hit 90 changed the coolant sensor no change

so changed the themostat problem fix half hour job too replace on 1.8t took longer too bleed the sodding thing

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers guys. the heaters are fine so i may give the temp sensor a go again. i got the temp sensor off the dreaded ebay so this could be my problem. hopefully i'll get it sorted soon and see the mpg rise again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts