Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Had my golf for 2 months, and i have to say .. i dont like the handling!

Just had my track rod ends replaced, and all tracked up correctly.

Tyres are Kumho's .. they any good?

Car just feels really loose, so much so im avoiding doing 70 on the motorway because it feels horrible. You can give the steering wheel a good old wobble and you just keep going straight! It just doesnt feel planted [:(]

is this just me?!

·
Registered
596 Posts
i can happily cruise at higher speed pretty happily and i have 18" and coilies

might be a bush or two worn out?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
im avoiding doing 70 on the motorway
I am the same 70's to slow lol joking

my handling was fine but recently it dose not seam right think i ve got some bushes which need replacing and my drop links need replacing so i ve put it down to that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 1.2 corsa, and even that I would happily drive at 80 and it felt spot on. Apart from being on the limiter!!

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I had a 1.2 corsa, and even that I would happily drive at 80 and it felt spot on. Apart from being on the limiter!!
Sorry but i HATE corsa's my GF has had a Corsa B and C and both drive horrible in the Corsa C you cant feel anything thought the steering, really hate them sorry.

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
Sounds like somethings up mate.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
certainly does sound like something is broken, i have had my octavia (which is the same car underneath) at 150mph on an airstrip and it felt perfectly solid, at 70mph there certainly isn't any wobble or funny handling.

exactly what spec is your car? I see from your info its a 115 diesel but what size wheels and tyres? have you checked the basics like tyre pressure and if so what pressure do you run? other than that it sounds like you need to get to a garage and have it checked over as you most probably have some worn out bushes and/or springs/dampers.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've done 140,000 miles in mkivs and the only time you should need to correct the handling is in really windy conditions.
Golfs do everything well just nothing fantastic. The corsa may feel slight more planted but that's probably because of a fault on your car. It it truely checked over.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sorry but i HATE corsa's my GF has had a Corsa B and C and both drive horrible in the Corsa C you cant feel anything thought the steering, really hate them sorry.
To the OP, sound's like something is up with your car, i'm running mine with a clunking over very slight bumps and standard suspension and it still feels 100% solid at any speeds.

On the note of corsas, my 1st car was a corsa B, was a heap, didn't handle worth much, though I had another corsa (1.3 SXI CDTI) which had 15" astra wheels on it and it was the best handling car i've ever had, especially in the rain, the front end had a crazy amount of bite. It was a previous cat C so maybe some more damage was done that made it handle better....

I've had a focus and a MG ZR too (Which admittedly was the best in the dry, but the corsa was comfy as well great at corners)

There isn't much good I will say about corsas especially, but I can't fault them for handling, especially in comparison to our VW campers.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
i can happily cruise at higher speed pretty happily and i have 18" and coilies

might be a bush or two worn out?
I'd second this.

I've replaced top mount bushes, arb bushes and drop links and it feels much better!

Still a bit twitchy over bumps, but i think that's because i have wide wheels.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just like Bengie, I've had mine up to 146mph on the satnav and it was still rock solid. I have replaced every suspension component on the car though, so it's as tight as it should be!

If the car is feeling a bit slack and wandering on the motorway, I bet the rear bushes in the wishbones are shot. I had that problem and it was due to both the rear bushes being torn through.

How many miles have the dampers done?

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I'd second this.
I've replaced top mount bushes, arb bushes and drop links and it feels much better!
Think there what i need to change drop links for defo top mounts should be fine changed when i installed the coilovers about 11 mounts ago. but also the wishbone bushes so saving getting them all done in one.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
I'd second this.
Think there what i need to change drop links for defo top mounts should be fine changed when i installed the coilovers about 11 mounts ago. but also the wishbone bushes so saving getting them all done in one.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Something has to be wrong, no way should you be scared of cruising at 70 - 80 mph, i would expect ANY mk4 without problems would feel fine at that speed.

Mine feels like im doing 70 when im doing 100, its also still feeling fine for stability at 148 mph ... (ahem not on the public roads of course).

The only problem i have is with the mk4 cornering abilities and not high speed stability.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
ide say the rear bushes on the wishbones too. ive got a set of new wishbones here, not original VAG ones tho. think i paid about £27 for them off ebay. saves time paying to get bushes pressed into the original wishbones.

cant be bothered fitting them so might sell them.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im running 225/45/17. In the tracking place the guys said this was the right size tyres for the wheels.

I think they are stock spring and dampers, but i have coilovers to go on soon.

Just drove at 70 on the motorway, its horrible. Steering feels very loose.

May sound strange but its almost as if you have to turn the steering wheel alot for where you are going :/

Can i change the bushes myself?

Oh and by the way, i know the corsa is a horrible car, but it had 55,000 miles on the clock, 12 months mot and tax, fully serviced and 4 new tyres - best part of it was .. it was free !! hand me down from my mother [:D]

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
theres a good chance your shocks are shot i did some work on a bora recently and it felt unsafe on the road no knocks or bangs but you got sea sick driving it it felt like a balomonge (spelling) at 70 mpg it was all over the road i removed the suspension and the front shocks had bust so there was no rebound at all you pressed them in and they stayed there lol i changed the full suspension kit and it felt like a brand new car nice and tight again i see it a lot mainly becuase people think because they cant feel a speed hump its not doing any damage lol hope this helps pal

1 - 20 of 58 Posts