Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
following on from my other thread on car starting probslems.

Oh dear woke up this morning to a non starting car, fortunately on my drive
way.

Todays problem with the golf, its begging to start when you start the key,
its on WOT, foot to the floor, and almost there but nothing. I try for a a
little bit more and nothing. It just fails to fire.

I dig out my trusty multimater and the battery is reading 12.18v which is a
bit low to jolt the starter I guess.

I have the battery on charge now and hoping this is the fault and its just
been hammered with the heating, heated screen etc going.

Although I'm wondering if theres a electrical malfunction somewhere which is
draining it ...? (obvious check, no lights or switches are on)

Its only just over 3 years old the battery, and just out of warranty, I'm
thinking could it be the cold that has zapped it somehow ? ... or is it time
to get a new battery.

I'm wondering even if I charge it and its something else causing the drain,
I'll be back in the same boat with a non starter.

Advice welcomed ? :)

(also I appreciate all the advice so far its been invaluable)

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Batteries can't take a full charge when cold,so bringing it into the warm house could be what it needs to get it living again.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heya chris :), I've brought it in for a few hours earlier to charge it, it took about 90 minutes to display to green full indicator, I let it trickle for a little bit.

I put it back in the car it got it started no problems like normal, a sigh of relief followed. A few short journeys today using it, but got up to temp as usual.

I'm wondering if should pop it out and bring it in for the night .. although I might get a repuration for bringing stray batteries home with me ... hmmm I'll get me hat.. :)

The golf doesn't seem to like the cold too much, but I pootle on.

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Don't forget that even if the engine is hot,there's still ice cold air blowing into the engine bay so the battery will still be at zero degrees or less.Maybe not every day to charge indoors but once a week wouldn't hurt.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey chris what do you reckon of this ? http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=388125

looks like a handy bit of kit to keep

or

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=383992

first one looks a little more feature packed

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7402120.htm

although I've never jump started anything but looks simple, is it a case of connecting the negative, and positive to the corresponding terminal and attempting to start ? ... I read threads about it causing dmage to the car and you should put the heated rear windows on and the blower on full to lessen the blow.

Advice welcomedon master of the mk4 golf.

edit just read the black clamp goes on a metal part of the engine not the - terminal. (what part can it go on ?)

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
They're all the same inside (more or less) but all will need to be kept charged up otherwise they won't hold a charge for very long.

You can switch on whatever tickles your fancy but I've never done this and lived to tell the tail.Maybe on high end cars with lots of fancy computer controlled gimics but these cars would withstand a direct hit from the starship Enterprise and still come out smiling[:D].

1.Ignition switched off both cars

2.Positive jumplead to car with flat battery

3.Other end of above to good battery

4.Neg jump lead to neg terminal of good battery

5.Other end of above to the engine block such as the lifting eye,NOT directly to the battery.

6.Start the engine of the good car and allow it to charge the flat battery for at least five minutes before starting the second car.

7.Remove jump leads in the reverse order.

Jump starts thst fail do so for a couple of reasons...

1.Jump leads are too thin for hard to turn over engines such as diesels.A lot of the VERY cheap ones have a nice thick jacket but the wire inside is a LOT thinner than it looks on the outside.

2.(This one is more common).Not making a good enough connection because the clip only bites on a couple of small points or you're trying to connect to unclean or corroded metal.

The style of battery terminals on mk.4s and similar VAG cars means it's rather difficult to get a decent connection as there's just not enough room to get in there.If in doubt ALWAYS let it charge before trying to start it.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol hopefully the starship does not pot shot me .. although my force field is at 99% so I'm safe [:D]

SO far after the full charge yesterday the car has been used for a few short 10 minute journeys and along 1 hour journey with a few stops. It started happily each time i was restarted.

One of those stops was to maplin to pick up a jump starter at £19.99 which was a bargain for the peace of mind should this happen again. According to the manual it only needs charging once every 3 months or after use ... but possibly more in the real of it. Has a simple meter reader to tell you its charge state. Also comes complete with a 12v adapter to charge on the go. Hope it works if I ever need it. It shall live in the boot I think now and charge it every now and again.

SO far the car seems fine today, but I'll monitor it over time. I wonder if ultimately a btter idea would be to replace the battery for possibly a bigger one, with more Ah and CCA ... although the tray has more space .. the battery cover might not fit over it .. although with a bigger more powerful battery would I need it ?

Thanks for the guide, I've printed it off to keep handy [y]

I'm hoping as the weather stabilises a bit things will now settle down, although if we continue to get this scarily cold weather I will be glad I have the jump starter or a big battery by next winter.

Any recommendations for a battery ?

Mine is only 3 years old, but aparantly that can be the life span of one. Its a varta calcium one, which cam e highly recommended.

Appreciate the great advice Chris .. you might even get a xmas present :)

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to fit a heavier duty battery for normal day-to-day use although they do take a fraction more power to charge them,not something that would cause a problem on a car with a healthy alternator though.

Chris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts