Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Yesterday I was using my Climate Control with A/C on no probs at all all of sudden my climate contro started making noise some where underneath the glove box sound like GGGGGRRRRRRR

Like something got stucked or so if I put the fan speed high then the noise goes really loud & creat's sort of vibration as well, Any Ideas what sort of problem it could be my friends , Has any one here had these sort of problem before .

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yep got that problem with mine at the mo. Another one of those Golf probs. It's the heater flap that is stuck I believe.

Not a quick fix either. Dash out job. Mine makes the grrr noise everytime I leave it for more that a few hours. Very annoying,

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yep got that problem with mine at the mo. Another one of those Golf probs. It's the heater flap that is stuck I believe.

Not a quick fix either. Dash out job. Mine makes the grrr noise everytime I leave it for more that a few hours. Very annoying,
Are you sure the whole dash has to come out...I recently replaced my Air Flap Recirculation motor (complete slut of a job!) and I only had to remove the glovebox and fan

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pain, pain, pain followed by more pain followed by swearing a bit of upside down-ness followed by pain and more swearing....and that just removing the trim lol..

Serioulsy tho it was a bit challenging but I did it in the end along with some help and was a bit tricky but I found a guide on here which helped a lot...link below

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/399710.aspx

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
chrisl,

Glad my little write up came in handy, it is a pig of a job isn't it.

However the grrrrr noise to me sounds like there is a leaf stuck in the fan impellor !!

Also if one of the impellor blades snaps (which has been known) the rotor / impellor will be un balanced, will vibrate and also make the grrrrr noise.

My money is on a leaf or other bit of debris, in which case whip out ye pollen filter and have a loof for some + examine impellor for damage.

The V71 if it's faulty is more of a click-click-click than a grrrrrrr.

·
Registered
196 Posts
ct.p...guide was more than useful...many thanks for doing it.

Your probably right but its still useful as it shows you how to get to the area that could be effected without actually removing the whole dash which is what Mart4875 was told about getting to this area

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last year When I bought this car I thought Ill get it serviced from VW which I did but I ended up payieng them around ?875.00 which includes Cam belt service & this same problem the motor of climate control went they charged me at that time around ?350 ish.

Cant remember the exact amount can it be the same thing again or something else this was done around January/february this year 2006.

Shall I ring VW & tell them about this problem will get this problem fixed without been charged or will I get shafted again by ?350 bill .

Need advice my friends.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
If you got it done this year, it will be in warranty and should sort it for free.

Accept no excuses.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today I phoned VW & had word with customer service & told them That just about 5-6 months ago I got this problem sorted with you guys & seems like the same problem came up again they saud no probs we book your car in for next week monday & we will check it out for you .All parts & labour is covered they said for 2 years Hope they sort the problem out without making any sort of excuses like something else has gone wrong now.

Finger's crossed.............................

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Would this problem bring up a fault code on vag.com?

Reason I ask is that a couple of times now when running a vag.com for other faults it has brought up an intermittent flap position fault on the climate control, even though I have noticed nothing ie noises, change in efficiency?

I have just dismissed it as there is nothing wrong with the aircon/climate/heating system to my knowledge, but is it a sign of something to come or a possible problem?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Would this problem bring up a fault code on vag.com?

Reason I ask is that a couple of times now when running a vag.com for other faults it has brought up an intermittent flap position fault on the climate control, even though I have noticed nothing ie noises, change in efficiency?

I have just dismissed it as there is nothing wrong with the aircon/climate/heating system to my knowledge, but is it a sign of something to come or a possible problem?
Are you getting this error code but intermittent?

Address 08: Auto HVAC

Part No: 3B2 907 044 C

Component: CLIMATRONIC C 0.7.0

Coding: 01000

Shop #: WSC 01317

1 Fault Found:

01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)

37-00 - Faulty

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Address 08 -------------------------------------------------------
Controller: 3B2 907 044 C
Component: CLIMATRONIC C 1.0.0
Coding: 11000
Shop #: WSC 01317
1 Faults Found:
01274 - Air Flow Flap Positioning Motor (V71)
37-10 - Faulty - Intermittent

In other words, yes...

So does this mean a forthcoming bill?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Having read this thread again, I think I have a problem.

Someone mentioned a clicking noise from ebhind the dash. Mine does that occasionally, usually when cold. I thought it was just the V5 wobble causing the glovebox to click. Obviously not.

So what is the exact problem and what does it mean?

·
Registered
196 Posts
It might just be that it is sticky where the flap is trying to move and can't...some electrical contact spray/WD40 on the motor and an inspecion of the flap should hopefully sort any problems.

If you read my post above with the link to the guide by ct.p you will find all the information you need about fixes and locations of the parts

If you do end up replacing the motor I will tell you know that it is do-able at home and take about an hour and some scratches. The air flap motor itself is ?80 from the stealers

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
So its actually the valve that opens the flap to let the hot air into the venting system them.

Is it something that needs to be done ie will it cause damage/problems?

Reason I ask is that as far as im aware the heating works perfect. Is the clicking where the flap is trying to open and clicking back because of the resistance?

I am also presuming that to regrease/oil the motor will mean removing it anyway? The fact that it is intermittent and the clicking is intermittent must mean that it is working, just a bit sticky as opposed to failed. Is it likely to give up the ghost and burn out if its left?

·
Registered
196 Posts
TBH I don't know if it will die if left to its on thing...I would imagine it would tho as it is a motor that is trying to turn and meeting resistance so I would imagine at some point is just going to give up.

I wouldn't bother until it dies....mine had been broken for I don't know how long when I brought the car and works fine now.

Basically what it is...the motor controls a flap and the flap moves up and down (sorta like a skylight opening and closing). When you press the air re-circ button the flap closes and no air gets in from outside.

Whether air coming in from outside or not will dictate what position the flap is in.

If you want to see what is happening...follow the guide above...remove glove box...remove fan and at the back is the flap...got some sort of foam on it to. Press the air re-circ button and see what happens..if it closes and opens ok just give it a bit of WD40 or electrical contact spray and leave it be...if it just clicks or does nothing its a new motor I'm afraid which is a pain to fit but is do-able....I can do it...had some help but not from anyone that properly knows about VWs and we managed it... it took about an hour and some pain and scratches

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
An easy way to observe the flap is to take the pollen filter out and look / feel from above.

Also, I left my motor, first I was getting the error as 'intermittent' then it went 'faulty' then I started getting an 'reference voltage low' error which effected the rest of the system. I changed the motor at that point.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I also think the V71 motor is more susceptable to failure as it operates two air flaps. The other motors operate only one.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Oh goodie, another forthcoming bill for the bottomless pit of money and unreliability that is a mk4 Golf. Remind me why I still like this car so much lol...

As for the flap, I was guessing that as it is obviously meeting resistance and clicking back, at some point it may well give up the ghost and burn out, which will obviously cause problems for the general functioning of the climatronic system.

Just one thing tho. I noticed this morning it was doing its clicking thing behind the dash. Weird thing is the clima was off when I turned the car off last night and still off when I started up this morning, yet it was still clicking even when in theory nothing was in operation

Cheers for your help guys, at least I know what I am dealing with. If i'm honest, its not really the sort of thing I might want to get involved in, especially as I work at a dealers and could get one of the techies to sort it for a tenner in his lunchtime.

Back to the think tank again. Do I sell it or do I keep it...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts