Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks first time I've posted here, I've used the searches to find and fix some of my ever growing problems with my 2000 Golf TDI but this weird noise from my diesel pump I cant find any where.

When i start the end up specially on cold start there's a strange noise i'm sure is coming from the diesel pump at the front of the engine it sounds like a crackling metallic sound. Now this noise is a new problem that started after my car broke down because of a faulty 190 relay. The AA guy who toed the car back tried to start the car with easy start and after reading about problems in trying to start a diesel with easy start is making to think that this might of cause the problem. The noise goes after warm up or maybe when there's enough diesel in the pump, its most noticeable on start up.

In a matter of 6 months i have changed the air flow sensor the glow plugs then the 190 relay and got kwickfit to put a new battery in the car and you wouldn't believe it the kwictwit guy put down the window on my car and now it wouldn't go up so i had to order a damn new mechanism
.. oh the joys of having a Golf TDI any help with this problem is appreciated some mechanic thought it might be the fan belt and the tension bearing but i'm sure its coming from the pump.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's perfectly normal. I've read that on cold start the fuel filter will put fuel from the return line back into the filter to help warm the incoming fuel.

This is supposed to make a noise like ball bearings rattling around in the filter.

I could be wrong, but i did read this recently.

Edit: sorry, just read your reply! I was excited that i might actually know something!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts