Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
do they have to be 'noise cancelling' or are you just after something to isolate you form your surroundings?

you could just go for a decent set of closed 'phones rather than open ones. that way noone will here your music and you won't hear them

·
Registered
453 Posts
As has been said, if you just want to block out exterior sounds, get a paor of closed back headphones. I've got a pair of sennheiser HD280's which are superb at blocking out exterior sound, and make it perfect for watching films in peace, aswell as listening to blasting music without annoying anyone else :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I could use a decent set of headphones, the Sennheisers look good quality.

Is there any loss in sound quality between a wireless and a wired set of phones.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
About a month ago i was watching some Gagets program and they were testing them on a plane and they came to the conclusion that BOSE sold the sound canceling headphones, so look at them think they were about ?200 though not sure what your price range is

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ive got a pair of Sennheiser HD25...(closed DJ cans)......totally AWESOME!!!!!!! [;)]..can pick em up for ?99-130.[Y]

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive got a pair of Sennheiser HD25...(closed DJ cans)......totally AWESOME!!!!!!! [;)]..can pick em up for ?99-130.[Y]
I have to agree with you here, I have these also for when I compose music and monitor mixdowns. Perhaps another set is needed but I wondered how effective the noise cancellation jobbers were.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You should check out ebay, or any etailer. Got mine for ?65 inc postage :)

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Noise cancellers are awesome I have the bose ac3 ? they wont block talking , but background noises such as central heating, wind, road noise or anything that is constant such as aircraft are totally blocked

·
Registered
582 Posts
As has been said, if you just want to block out exterior sounds, get a paor of closed back headphones. I've got a pair of sennheiser HD280's which are superb at blocking out exterior sound, and make it perfect for watching films in peace, aswell as listening to blasting music without annoying anyone else :)
I have a set of 280 pros for home listening and have to agree with Sidot - they cut out most exterior noises and have an excellent sound quality. the only problem I find with closed back headphones is that they can make your ears really hot if listening for prolonged periods.

Before I got the 280's, I was having a look at the RS140's. They are wireless sennheisers but they are open backed meaning that outside noise can get in and whatever you're listening to will be heard by others. They are extremely light weight and the only reason for me not getting them was the fact that I live in an apartment block so there would have been a lot of potential interference from electrical equipment.

I have Shure E2C's for portable listening - they are in ear monitors (IEM's) and have a foam surround that seals off your ear canal and have an awesome sound.

have a look at www.head-fi.org for some good info......

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
yeah i've been a member of Head-Fi for a little while, seems a pretty good forum and lots of infomation there

a lot of the people there have several pairs and go through them like anything so you're bound to find someone who has used the ones you're looking at (whatever they may be)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Only ever used them on planes, I would've thought the cancelling noise may have interfered with the frequencies being played and affected sound quality.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
ah! you've caught me out. i too am a novice but 2 things led me to say that

1) every other piece of bose equipment i've heard or read about has been more expensive than its worth

2) i'm not sure i've seen anyone mention Bose on Head-Fi, and as those guys use pretty much all sorts when it comes to good head phones, makes me doubt the bose's worth

·
Registered
582 Posts
ah! you've caught me out. i too am a novice but 2 things led me to say that

1) every other piece of bose equipment i've heard or read about has been more expensive than its worth

2) i'm not sure i've seen anyone mention Bose on Head-Fi, and as those guys use pretty much all sorts when it comes to good head phones, makes me doubt the bose's worth
There is a thread on there comparing head phones to cars......I believe BOSE were compared to a Punto (or something similar)................

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've got a set of Sennheiser PXC250's which are awesome and on a par with the ridiculously priced Bose quiet comfort equivalent.

Haven't heard them but apparently the PXC300's offer even better noise cancelling for not much more money.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You should check out ebay, or any etailer. Got mine for ?65 inc postage :)
HD25 SP perhaps.[:p]..(ex concord ones??)....but think you be hard pushed to find "NEW" HD25..(single cable)....for less that ?90 ish............fair play if you got a pair for ?65 tho.........id have brought a box full and sold em on...[;)]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts