Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right got in car today, it chucked it down with rain, tried to turn my wipers on they moved 2" then stopped. vw reckon either the motor or the frame? but both these are around ?50 just for the bits. they started really slow but now just dont work, only just able to force em out of view. if it rains again im knackered, anyone had this prob? can anyone help? or do i need to hire the a-team? 2001 gt-tdi. thanks people.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
What you need is two pieces of string and a willing passenger !!! [;)]

Otherwise, try a scrappy for another motor. I had one go on a MK2 once and the symptoms sound familiar. I would spray some 3in1 on the wipers now though as I hear they are a bitch to remove.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I'm sure I read a thread recently where someone had the spindles seize on his Golf wipers.IIRC he had to strip them down,and very carefully take all the mung of the spindles with fine emery cloth,the same with the bushes they run in,reassemble them some of the proper grease,and it's been just fine since.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm sounds complicated[:(]i didnt think there would be an easy fix, is the motor easy to remove??

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
It will be the wiper rack. The motor should be fine, you've probably blown the wiper fuse.

The spindles do seize but you can (if your lucky) free them off.

You'll need to remove the wiper rack, which is explained in a Haynes manual.

If you are unlucky as I was, when trying to free off the mechanism a spindle snapped, a new rack cost me ?38 from VW.

To free off, remove rack, carefully remove the C clips holding the spindles on and try and remove the spindles from the rack (lots of WD40). Once removed (if you can remove them) sand the spindles down with fine wet and dry to remove rust and also try to sand the barrels in the rack that hold the spindles. Once it's all running nice and free, grease it all up and re-fit.

Unfortunately I did one spindle perfectly then the other snapped !!! So I had to get a new rack.

Here are some pics...

Posted Image

Old and new rack; note the new rack has revised rubber seals that should prevent this happening again.

Posted Image

Spindle dismantled

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
What ctp said. The wiper spindles will have seized.

It's NOT difficult to strip down and fix yourself, I would say give that a try first - even if you pick one up from a scrapper, it's very likely that it will have the same problem.

From start to finish, even allowing for a Large Mug of Tea in the job, couple of hours will see it sorted.

As for grease, it doesn't need to be anything special - wheel bearing grease, Castrol LM, anything like that is just fine.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I fixed my seized wipers a couple of months ago. It is easy to do. Biggest problem I had was getting the circlip off the spindle so I could remove it from the housing. Once removed I just sanded down with normal sandpaper, squirted bucket loads of grease into the housing then re-fit. Been 100% since.

There is a DIY kicking about somewhere.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive had a bit of a play tonight but got mad and gave up, this might be a daft ques but how do you get the black plastic off thats covering the spindles etc, it looks and feels like its bonded to the windscreen. cheers all for the pics and advice, if i can just get at it all i might just give it a go!!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
It pulls off.

Remove the pollen filter cover first, 4 screws.

But.....

Before you do that, have you managed to remove the wiper arms ?

They can be stuck fast to the spindles and can be a piglet to get off themselves.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Remove the wiper arms, remove the plastic end trims from the scuttle panel (plastic attached to windscreen).

Get your fingers under the top of the scuttle panel and just pull, it'll take some force to do since you won't have great grip with your fingers.

It'll reveal the wiper mechanism.

My spindles were properly jammed in (although the wipers worked normally) and I sprayed the spindles with silicone lube spray, left them for half an hour - did this twice and then beated them out with a heavy hammer. Not the most elegant way of doing it but it worked

Sanded down the spindles and barrels, shoved a load of grease on and it went back together really easy!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thankyou all!!!!! im getting more confident by the minute lol! but every simple job turns out to be an absolute arse wen im doin it![:(]and ctp i had a quick go at the right hand wiper arm tonight and its jammed fast on there, big time! lots of wd40 maybe? i hate the way it marks the trim tho ahhhhhh!!!!!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
thankyou all!!!!! im getting more confident by the minute lol! but every simple job turns out to be an absolute arse wen im doin it![:(]and ctp i had a quick go at the right hand wiper arm tonight and its jammed fast on there, big time! lots of wd40 maybe? i hate the way it marks the trim tho ahhhhhh!!!!!
Tip;

Get a big ring spanner to get under and lever the wiper arm.

DON'T;

Lever against trim or more importantly against the windscreen, you'll crack it. Instead lever against your fingers, cos if they get hurt, they WILL heal.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had this problem about 4 months ago. It is a very common problem with golfs, even to the point that replica wiper mechanisms may be coming out (or so I am told).

Anyway, I did not have time to take everything off and clean it all up so I bought a big can of WD-40, took off the plastic cover and sqirted it into the point at the bottom of the wiper arm. Left it to soak in, squirted again, tried the wipers and they moved a little better. Put them on slow and kept spraying the contact point with WD. Also if you touch both the point at the bottom of the arms one of them on mine was warm due to the friction. This is the one I kept spraying and the arms got gradually faster. They have been fine ever since (touch wood).

Hope this helps. All the advise on this thread is good, but I'm lazy and if they go again I will strip them down. Might save you time and money.

T

·
Registered
236 Posts
Same thing on my sons A3, had to resort to a 3 leg puller to remove the wiper arms (the hardest bit of the job in my opinion) and I thought the scuttle panel would be a pain but turned out to be fairly easy, as long as you done lever anything behind the scuttle against the screen, as you *will* damage it! (the screen) dont forget to clean the slot of muck so the scuttle fits back in nicely!
The operating arms were seized solid on both sides, once removed from the car a pair of Molegrips, a pipewrench and lots of BT spray 1A Oooops! I mean WD 40 and they came away, re-greased, replaced, then replacement is a reversal of removal as they say in the Haynes manuals ;)

AndyR

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I used the rocking motion of tugging on the wiper arm and then easing off before tugging again to get the wiper arms off - you have to be quite brutal with it to be honest but you shouldn't break or mark anything doing it this way

Don't forget to mark the resting positions of your wiper blades before you go removing the arms, makes life at the end of the job easier!

Shame you're not in London, I'd help you out!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Change the linkage, this happened on my MK4, the motor is fine and the symptoms I had were the same, cost 35 quid from the dealers, I changed mine during my lunch break of 40 mins easily.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I am just tight and fixed mine. Still go through the same procedure as fixing but don't have to remove the spindles to clean / grease. I fixed mine several months ago. You will probably find it is the drivers side which has seized. My passsenger one was fine, the drivers however was stuck solid. God knows how the motor managed to move it.

Now work 100%, just like new, but without the ?35 premium.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just in the middle of fixing mine as well - the drivers side was totally jammed solid and I can't get it to shift despite some 'persusasion' with a large hammer, so going to buy a new mechanism instead.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just in the middle of fixing mine as well - the drivers side was totally jammed solid and I can't get it to shift despite some 'persusasion' with a large hammer, so going to buy a new mechanism instead.
I just put the spindle upside down on the road and pushed down / wiggled on the housing and it came free. Lots of WD-40 before hand though

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Two reasons for that -

a) It's full of crud.

b) there are various O-rings between the spindle and it's housing that hold the spindle in place, as well as (failing) to keep the water out.

Lots of WD40, and twist\turn the spindle. Once you get it turning, it will come out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts