Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no way the GT TDi is 140BHP - it simply pulls too hard and piles on the mph too quick.  I have driven lots of diesels over my time including similar power ones but the GT TDi is too good for 140BHP?  Are VW slipping in a few sneaky horses?  There is no doubting that it is a peach of an engine but the way it hauls arround the Golf MK5's heavy ass is quite amazing.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've read similar things about my tdi 150. Some have seen rolling roads show up to 161. Anyone got a 'stock' 140 on a rolling road?

What VW diesels are your comparing against? On a side note - I was thinking of swapping my 150 for a 140 but thought it would feel too slow as it weighs more - what do u think?

I know the mk v will corner on rails though!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
In customary VW style, the output seems to be underestimated. Most people who RR seem to see about 145-150ish (definitely not 138). I think it's great!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've read similar things about my tdi 150. Some have seen rolling roads show up to 161. Anyone got a 'stock' 140 on a rolling road?

What VW diesels are your comparing against? On a side note - I was thinking of swapping my 150 for a 140 but thought it would feel too slow as it weighs more - what do u think?

I think that you may find the 140's power delivery is less punchy (i.e. you dont feel quite the same level of being pushed back into your seat). It will rev better (imo) to the redline and feels a little bit more like a petrol. You don't really need to stay within the power band as much either. 1st gear is still rubbish though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I was in a similar situation as yourself - i came from a Seat Leon FR TDi 150 and was concerned about going "down" 10BHP but it was nothing like the GT TDi. The best decision I ever made.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I find the acceleration of my TDI quite amusing. Its pulls like a freighttrain from 20mph all the way up yo 130 and then just stops and wont go any further (not without a good long stretch of road anyway). But what i mean is, the speed of the acceleration just stops once it gets to 130.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I was in a similar situation as yourself - i came from a Seat Leon FR TDi 150 and was concerned about going "down" 10BHP but it was nothing like the GT TDi. The best decision I ever made.
Yes, I'm concerned that I might not find the power delivery exciting enough (though a remap would fix that - I'm not really into to tuning). Also the down 10 BHP.... its a mental thing!!!

[rant]
I know a GT would loose my car in the bends. How can the TDi 150 be so brilliant and flawed at the same time. Awesome performance but just drive slowly in the bends, um... VW hello?.. Nurburg Ring is on your door step you know??

Why don't honda make a Type 'D' car?? - Loads of people would buy one!!
[\rant]

But - I'm glad u like yours!! Will keep an eye on prices - not many 140's about.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It's more to do with torque and how early it comes in with the GT TDi , most drivers wouldn't even notice the difference between 140 and 150 BHP, but 10/15 FT/LBS of torque and you would especially from 1750 RPM.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Its pulls like a freighttrain from 20mph all the way up yo 130 and then just stops and wont go any further (not without a good long stretch of road anyway).
Cannot imagine how you live with that. It must spoil your day to day enjoyment of an otherwise excellent car. Have you cosidered a different model where you get some decent acceleration in the 130mph plus area? Its got to be worth testing maybe an RS4, M5 and one of the 911 variants. I believe the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage has good performance too. Dont ignore the Ferrari offerings either as they are well known for acceleration right up to 200 mph.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Its pulls like a freighttrain from 20mph all the way up yo 130 and then just stops and wont go any further (not without a good long stretch of road anyway).
Cannot imagine how you live with that. It must spoil your day to day enjoyment of an otherwise excellent car. Have you cosidered a different model where you get some decent acceleration in the 130mph plus area? Its got to be worth testing maybe an RS4, M5 and one of the 911 variants. I believe the new Aston Martin V8 Vantage has good performance too. Dont ignore the Ferrari offerings either as they are well known for acceleration right up to 200 mph.
Cheeky Begger! [;)] If I could get 40mpg out of a RS4 then I'd be there!

But what I meant was, its just like hitting a brick wall once it reaches 130. It doesnt gradually run out of steam and crawl to 130, it gets there pretty sharpish and then just stops (kind of like if it was on a limiter - I know it isnt).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just thought I'd say "HI" as this is my first post and at the same time add that I agree that the GT TDI I have certainly feels better than the figures suggest. It has always pulled well but gets better and better the nearer to the 10k mark it gets. It has DSG and in Sport mode really goes some. So it was interesting to read others have felt the same. Shame the paintwork scratches so easily but that is another matter!

Shadow.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
welcome - dark colours scratch easier because the molecules are pyramid shaped and do not "bond" together as well as lighter colours which are flatter in shape ( sorry for the boring reply )

·
Registered
360 Posts
welcome - dark colours scratch easier because the molecules are pyramid shaped and do not "bond" together as well as lighter colours which are flatter in shape ( sorry for the boring reply )
You serious??? What about the laquer!!

Chris

·
Registered
990 Posts
In customary VW style, the output seems to be underestimated. Most people who RR seem to see about 145-150ish (definitely not 138). I think it's great!
It all depends on what dyno you put your car on. My car (150) made 150 on the nose on one dyno and nearly 170 on another.

The 140 has the same torque figure as the 150, therefore it is going to feel just as quick.

·
Registered
272 Posts
And after 13k miles, I can really feel the car loosening up!

And if anyone out there is still running their 2.0 TDI on the cheap supermarket Diesel, run the fuel right down and treat yourself to a full tank of BP Ultimate diesel.

Some people say they cannot feel a difference, but for me, it transforms the car! Even less lag, better performance and even sounds a bit more sporty IMO. Give it a go!

·
Registered
2 Posts
And after 13k miles, I can really feel the car loosening up!

And if anyone out there is still running their 2.0 TDI on the cheap supermarket Diesel, run the fuel right down and treat yourself to a full tank of BP Ultimate diesel.

Some people say they cannot feel a difference, but for me, it transforms the car! Even less lag, better performance and even sounds a bit more sporty IMO. Give it a go!
Yep, that's all mine drinks now! Seems to make a difference IMHO too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts