Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Not much of an update. 40 litres fresh fuel and new filter. Starts up pretty well not perfect, no air in the clear pipe but runs exactly the same. Like death when I rev it. Doesn't stall but the filter feels light.

Can't get a tow but might be able to crawl up a hill and roll back down 馃槀

When I crack the injector union on no.1 cylinder I get a big mist of fuel, really high pressure, on the others just a weak dribble. Doesn't seem right....

On a salvaged ip driver orientation doesn't matter does it? Lhd is the same as rhd?

Registered
jup... the pressure should be consistent on all the 4 injectors... providing the air has come out... it should spray almost as much on every single line once the air is out... so it slowly is starting to sound like you F-ed the fuelpump

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok well I can definitely say I've tried everything else. I can't think what it could be other than something damaged in the pump itself. I'll update after I've got the salvaged pump on. For anyone looking through this thread 038130107D is the vw part number Bosch 0460404977 and fits lots of different engine codes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So after going down every possible avenue searching for the fault before buying another pump, I noticed that the no.1 injector when cracked open with the engine running had good pressure, yet on 2, 3, and 4 just a dribble. So I got a salvaged pump and on it went. Lots of fun, games and swearing with some help from @northpole and it's finally up and running again. My favourite part was priming the pump and bleeding the air from the injector lines. Went just like it should the first time I did it before I mullered the pump cranking the engine with no diesel in it!

Lesson: Prime the filter and pump on an engine with a bosch ve-37 pump (after fuel filter change) because there's no pump in the tank!

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive fuel system

21 - 25 of 25 Posts