Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

On my way into work this morning ([:'(]) i was overtaking someone and all of a sudden i lost all power. It was like i had hit a flat spot, but a biger loss of power, ever since though, i have no turbo boost (typical it happens the day before the Awesome RR day!!)!
Now, i have a feeling it is one of the pipes on the turbo as i can hear a funny noise as though the turbo is spinning, but nothing is happening.

Does anyone have any idea which pipes i need to check? and are they hard to find?

Car is a AGU 1.8T

Thanks!
Paul

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi mate

One of my intercooler pipes some how managed to work its self loose. the jubilee clip had come loose and the pipe was starting to come away!! Id checked this one first. if you look underneath from the driver side wheel you should see some pipes around that area check them and those under the bonnet!!

hope that helps

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, i posted that just after you. I have checked all the pipes that i can feel, and they all seem ok.
I have disconnected the battery to try resetting the ECU to see if that helps, otherwise i dont know what!

I'll probably take it to a VW after work

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
As already said, check the pipe that goes from the throttle body to the intercooler.

Mine was always working loose. I would be driving along, then put my foot down and all of a sudden all power would go.

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I will have another look later thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, i took my car to the garage when i finished work, and he says that the turbo is knackered. So do I.....

a) get it done under warrenty and prob have to pay loads to go with it
b) buy a refurb'd turbo and get it fitted myself
c) call greenlight and see how much it would cost to insure with a K03S on the car, buy a refurb'd and get that fitted and another map and another TIP?

What would the costs of each be?
VW say that a new turbo + fitting would be ?1000 from them!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
i'm sure you could pick up a ko3s for few hundred.

mine went like yours did, but it was a hose. pipework behind the front drivers side wheel collasped. got spare parts here if you needed them.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Personally I'd want to know he's definately right... Ive not heard many stories of the ko3 failing after a remap... sure the people that wind them up with a remap and other stuff.... but its just strange to me.

Have you exhausted all other possibilities???

If it is dead then defo get the sport variant, you'll regret not upgrading!

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What else can i look at?
I have checked the IC pipe, and that seems ok, but the car makes a LOT of noise where the turbo whine would normally be!

What else can i check though?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Was it on VAG-COM when it was a VW? That way you'll be able to see if its MAF or related or pipe related as your car would log a fault! Strange you usually know when the turbo's gone by all the black smoke pouring out of the engine or exhaust... Def check VAG-COM mate! Good luck with it!

·
Registered
931 Posts
have you checked all pipework?  behind the drivers wheel, theres a large flat metel pipe, follow that back up into the car. mine broke away there. its akward to get to. if that is whats gone, i've a spare here

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whats that pipe called?

yes it went on VAG com. faults registered were, turbo overboost, fuel running rich, and temp sender fault (which i new about anyway)

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, i will see if i can check that tomorrow.

Where can i get a turbo for if that is ok?

·
Super Moderator
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
322 Posts
My uncle used Turbotechnics years ago to twin turbo his jag!! The work was top notch!! Give them a call they do refurb work on turbos of all makes!!

Did the mechanic say exactly wot was wrong with your turbo?? As the other guys say generally you get plooms of smoke when yah turbo goes!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts