Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just noticed that my cars heaters wont heat up and whilst driving today the temp gauge whent very high and the display said check coolant. I checked the coolant level and that is fine. Any ideas what could be wrong? Cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Probably an air lock in the cooling system, get the engine warm and then check for cold patches on the cooling system, probably near the thermostat housing where the temp sensor might be situated and also check the pipes going through the bulkhead to the heater matrix and the front radiator-keep your fingers clear of the fans!!!. Air can only get in by a leak so get the system pressure tested and check for leaks, otherwise it could be a water pump problem or a blockage, but from my experience as a Technician (albeit Citroen) this is very uncommon.

·
Registered
387 Posts
From what I've read, it could very well be the water pump as the impellers disintegrate. How many miles on the clock robb1977?

Sarge

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Same thing happened to me, the waterpump is about ?25, I had my cambelt done at the same time all in for ?250. This was at 75k.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help ill get it booked in, shame i had the cambelt done a couple of months ago but thats sods law ha ha

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by Wez on 11/04/2005 10:13:53

Harsh i didnt have any hot air the other day and ive done 102k!

Wez

Wez if your water pump or cambelt haven't been changed I'd do that lot asap. We changed my waterpump at 83K when we did my cambelt and found that the impellor had started to crack quite badly, also the bearing on the cambelt idler puley was on the way out. We found that when we had the belt off and had to drive up to the dealer in Newbury as none of the local dealers had one in stock.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the cars booked in on thursday, so will it be ok till then if i only do short journeys and keep an eye on the temp?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mmm-obveously a weak point on VW's then, normally Citroens just leak. I shall replace mine at the same time as the cambelt for that price-although thats a long way off!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Jazz Blue on 11/04/2005 10:51:48

Quote: posted by Wez on 11/04/2005 10:13:53

Harsh i didnt have any hot air the other day and ive done 102k!

Wez

Wez if your water pump or cambelt haven't been changed I'd do that lot asap. We changed my waterpump at 83K when we did my cambelt and found that the impellor had started to crack quite badly, also the bearing on the cambelt idler puley was on the way out. We found that when we had the belt off and had to drive up to the dealer in Newbury as none of the local dealers had one in stock.

Cheers Paul! Im still trying to get the splity all up together and the Golf still has a poorly bum... [:(!]

But ill get it checked out ASAP.

Wez

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by Wez on 11/04/2005 23:12:16

Cheers Paul! Im still trying to get the splity all up together and the Golf still has a poorly bum... [:(!]

Wez

[/quote]

I have a similar problem with time, the Mark IV is on the backburner for a bit as I'm gradually sorting out the Mark 2 16V. I need to get mine into the bodyshop as I manage to scrap my ProjektZwo front on a high curb.[V]

·
Registered
259 Posts
Quote: posted by Gti Jazz Blue on 12/04/2005 09:06:13

Wez

I have a similar problem with time, the Mark IV is on the backburner for a bit as I'm gradually sorting out the Mark 2 16V. I need to get mine into the bodyshop as I manage to scrap my ProjektZwo front on a high curb.[V]

[/quote]

Harsh!!! Bet your gutted.... [:(!] Are you gona go ProjektZwo again or change?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Quote: posted by Wez on 12/04/2005 09:17:38

Quote: posted by Gti Jazz Blue on 12/04/2005 09:06:13

Harsh!!! Bet your gutted.... [:(!] Are you gona go ProjektZwo again or change?

No mate a simple re-spray will sort it out, I'm hoping that they don't have to spray the whole lot again though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had the same problem. The interior of the windows started to steam up. Was the water pump but damaged the head gasket too so I recommend you get that checked too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi just an update. Ended up getting my car fixed yesterday. The impeller had totally broken off, just looked like a cheapo bit of plastic. The new water pump had a metal impeller. Anyway the car is running fine now and just for info the pump cost me 30 and the labour was 70.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts