Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.6 se golf

Hey I thought my headgasket may of gone but im not sure, so i have driven it for a 30 mins just to see whats going on.

As I was driving i had no heat from the blowers but then i had heat from the blowers for about 5 minutes then it would go cold again, the heat didnt change when the temperature went over 90.

I noticed it would go up when i was traveling at 60mph as soon as i slowed down to about 55mph it would go back to normal so the faster i was going the the temp gauge went up more.

When i got home i opened the bonnet and all i could hear was like a boiling noise coming from the left back side of the engine.

i felt the pipes and they where all hot apart the one that goes from the bottom of the radiator to the left side of the engine.

Can anyone help help out what this could be.

thanks for reading

Josh

·
Registered
411 Posts
i had a clio diesel which had the same problem. it was the timing belt that needed changing. i didn't know that at the time and the belt snapped and mess up my engine. get it checked out josh

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay cheers just been reading through some other peoples threads with the same problem does seem like the water pump.

how often should belts be changed on golfs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the replies where is the waterpump located on the golf, astra waterpumps are so much easier to find

·
Registered
411 Posts
do the water pump and the timing belt together josh. the belt should be changed every 50.000 miles thats what i've been told. correct me if i'm wrong guys

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay dude thanks for that, im so desperate not to have another car where every mess's up. 19 years old 9 cars 13 engines

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yer as they have all said probably the water pump, which is located in with the timing belt. If your lucky it may be the thermostat. But sounds like pump to me. Any way its a bit of a time consuming job but while you are at it you may as well change the timing belt as it will have to come off any way.
Scott

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
waterpump,waterpump,waterpump.

change the cam belt with the waterpump as they have to remove the cambelt to get to the waterpump. A cambelt on a 1.6 should be done every 60k or 4 years iirc.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
cheers for the replies where is the waterpump located on the golf, astra waterpumps are so much easier to find
The water impellar, often described as a pump was originally a load of plastic vanes mounted on a shaft and driven by a cog spun by the timing belt.

Replacement impellar (pump..) is a load of metal vanes that don't fall to bits after a few years....very cheap part as its so simple.

As its run off the belt, the faster you and the belt goes the more water is forced round by the impellar, slower and less water moved. If the vanes are little stubs then no water is flowing, hence hot as you go faster and cooler as you move along slower..simples.

To half answer your questions, its one of the cogs run off the timing belt!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for everyones help much appreciated, may check the thermostat before i do anythink else, where is the thermostat located?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts