Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had a bit of a nightmare! Fortunately it could have been a lot worse.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

Dave (dc) came to visit me last night, down from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Glasgow</st1:place></st1:City> with work[H]. As my car had just had the Peloquin LSD and Sachs uprated clutch fitted, it seemed only fair and reasonable to show it who was boss. I gave Dave the keys and we headed off for some lightly trafficked roads nearby. There is a series of roundabouts with short interconnecting roads that are good fun, so I let him have a go for 10 minutes, and then as he was showing the car a little too much respect I decided to show him what it could do. The LSD really helps get the power down and shoot the car out of corners early.

<o:p> </o:p>

Coming up to a roundabout at about 70mph I decided to show him quite how brilliant the ECS Stage 2v2 brakes are at maximum attack. I nailed it. There was a massive bang, and then all kinds of banging and clattering from the offside front wheel ? really nasty. I held the car in a straight line and slowed and pulled over, thank God. The car really didn?t want to move forward at all. The tyre had lost all pressure. The caliper was loose and wedged against the alloy.

We got the car recovered, and to cut a very long story shorter, the caliper carrier had sheared in two, because one of the bolts had worked loose. This bolt snapped at the tip and then the rest of the carrier gave up the ghost. The caliper punched a hole through the alloy. What amazes me is that the braided hose held the caliper on under such immense forces.

Late last night I sent some pictures to Richard at JBR Performance along with my suspicions as to what had happened. This morning I took the wheel off and took more pictures, and sent them across with confirmation that one of the carrier bolts had worked loose. I was the last person to tighten these when I changed the discs, and yes I did use Loctite and a torque wrench. Before 9:00am Richard had contacted me and we had agreed a plan of action to get me back on the road as soon as possible. By <st1:time Hour="12" Minute="30">12:30pm</st1:time> ECS Tuning had opened for business and by mid-afternoon a rescue package had been agreed with ECS which will arrive with me the day after tomorrow. New carriers, one new Porsche caliper, hoses, bolts etc. I?m going to see if the disc is OK.

So I can?t praise Richard highly enough[:D]. Yet again he has proved himself to be accountable and thoroughly professional. ECS have also helped out and I have enormous confidence in their product, which was of course not to blame for the failure.

Foxy has also been a great mate in a time of need and researched a replacement Anni refurb alloy with his dealer. The net result is that I collect a new wheel tomorrow morning from my dealer along with the other small parts I need. So I'll be fitting it all on Saturday morning, having the car out of action for just over 48 hours.[y]

And thanks to Aric for getting the pics hosted. So here they are;

Wheel pic

Posted Image

Posted Image
<o:p></o:p>

Holed alloy

Posted Image

Caliper

Posted Image

Sheared bolts

Posted Image

Scored disc

Posted Image

Sheared carrier

Posted Image

Damaged alloy

Posted Image

Posted Image

<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
637 Posts
EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK!! IS about all that can be said to that...lol

At least you and well MOST of the car are OK thats the main thing [:D]

Cheers
C

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I wont repeat my comments in my email to you this morning........just glad you're ok matey.

Metal will mend.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Damn you are lucky not to have been hurt. I've seen how you brake and
now you know why I don't - just in case! Glad you are safe though.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
JASUS, any ideas on why it came loose? maybe worn threads? A mate of mine had to replace a hub because when he went to tighten the carriers he stripped a thread. Could be a weakness in them?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JASUS, any ideas on why it came loose? maybe worn threads? A mate of mine had to replace a hub because when he went to tighten the carriers he stripped a thread. Could be a weakness in them?
I've no idea at this stage, but I will be checking the bolts on a regular basis in future!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
That looks nasty, could have been a lot worse.

Glad you're ok though mate.

It's got me a bit paranoid now....think i'll be checking my carrier bolts at the weekend.

·
Registered
309 Posts
OMG that is bad, and so lucky mate. brown is the colour of fear.

I hate that loctite stuff unless all the parts are clean and new it does not set and works like a lube.

You need to use the oil tolerant stuff. the ref changes from 270 to 273 and from 601 to 603 i think.

Glad your ok dude

·
Registered
95 Posts
James :)

I have no F**** words to what I saw on those pictures.
the story is scary... but the pictures are GORE!!!!

I?m glad you could held the car, and no one was hurt.

One thing I will.... for sure... this week I will look those bolts on mine.

Hip Hip..... hourray!!!! for JBR, ECS for the great after sale management. (it should be always like this) [Y]

cheers for all of you.

fLAVIO :)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
omg, thats seriously nasty! your licky u managed to stop ok! Glad your not hurt or anything! Must of shat yourself!!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
That is seriously scary stuff mate, glad you weren't hurt. I can't help thinking those two bolts are no way enough to handle the extreme forces that must be generated by such a powerful braking system. Pics like this remind me why I'm wary of using adapters on things like brakes and wheels, even though it's the first time I've seen something like that.

Can you get higher grade bolts? Titanium?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is seriously scary stuff mate, glad you weren't hurt. I can't help thinking those two bolts are no way enough to handle the extreme forces that must be generated by such a powerful braking system. Pics like this remind me why I'm wary of using adapters on things like brakes and wheels, even though it's the first time I've seen something like that.

Can you get higher grade bolts? Titanium?
Shiuming

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

Those two bolts are VW parts, the same as used to secure the caliper carrier on your car to the hub. The difference is that ECS have made a different caliper carrier to adapt for the size of the Porsche calliper. Any calliper carrier would suffer stress if it were not correctly bolted in.

Everyone else;

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nasty !, James, and could have been a lot worse, thank heavens you are OK and that your motor survived mostly undamaged.

Must have been a bit of a brown trousers moment. Any deep gourges or teeth marks on the steering wheel or dash ?

BTW that alloy needs a damn good clean whilst you have got it off the car [:D] - LOL.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Those two bolts are VW parts, the same as used to secure the caliper carrier on your car to the hub. The difference is that ECS have made a different caliper carrier to adapt for the size of the Porsche calliper.
Ah, I see. [Y]

·
Registered
521 Posts
Deffinatly a brown trouser moment but gald the damage was minimal it could have been so much worse, and its good to here the suppliers are behind you, how much is it going to cost to replace the wheel.

·
I ain&#39;t no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
You lucky boy James. It could've been a lot worse. Glad you're OK! As foxy said metal mends.

I'll be out to check mine at the weekend. Mine aren't even torqued or threadlocked, but I checked them by hand after a few heat cycles. Worth doing whenever you fit a part that goes through heat cycling, as they don't necessarily seat completely square the first time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts