Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Very nice & shiney.[:)]

Not to be picky though but you need to clean the inners of the wheels too, it'll make a massive difference to how they look.

Just get a cheap brush that you would use for cleaning the dishes at home, they work a treat & are only a few pence, well maybe a quid at most..[:)]

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use Mer, its easy to put on and take off,then use Wonder Wheels I've tried to clean behind the wheels but failed, but never thought of use a dish brush, thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Quote: posted by Golf03 on 31/08/2004 14:48:12

I use Mer, its easy to put on and take off,then use Wonder Wheels I've tried to clean behind the wheels but failed, but never thought of use a dish brush, thanks for the idea.

I use a sponge with the green scrubby bit for insides and angles (and I have small hands [:)])

I also use the cleaner (generally wonder wheels) on my brake discs - makes the wheels shinier all round.

Nice shine on the rest tho [:)]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I used to take the wheels off but its a bit of a bind, so I just do that once a month now, well worth the hassle though..Give them a good couple of coat of wax too, helps stop the dust sticking.

I find Matalan brushes are very good, they are a bit like addis but only 69p, silver with rubberised handles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only problems I've had so far is the brakes, When I first got it the back ones sounded as if they were grinding, so I took it back to the dealera who cleaned the discs and they seem fine but now the brakes are squeeling when I brake, it sounds like a lorry trying to stop.

Whats wrong with your wipers?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quote: posted by Golf03 on 31/08/2004 14:08:02

Posted Image

Car is looking very clean.

Quick tip tho for your alloy, see the small black mark in corner of the spoke, whats great for taking that off is cif (jif renamed) its not acidic like wonder wheels etc, just put a small amount onto a cloth and rub till it disappears.

With my Golf alloys after a while you get tar and rust spots on them and normal washing doesn't get rid, so every once in a while I'd take them off and do the insides and out of the alloys then coat them in wax.

·
Registered
223 Posts
With my Golf alloys after a while you get tar and rust spots on them and normal washing doesn't get rid, so every once in a while I'd take them off and do the insides and out of the alloys then coat them in wax.

Err without wanting to seem a complete idiot what wax do you use and where do you get it?? (Hiding from detailing types [:I])

·
Registered
223 Posts
Nice & shiney mate, What really looks nice is if you paint the calipers. Use Hammerite Smooth Coat. I use silver to keep it subtle but it really looks the muts nuts after you've cleaned the alloys. It's dead easy to do,using a small paint brush after you've cleaned the alloys off, just make sure you remove, then put back, the clips back on the front brakes properly (bit fiddly). Also i had a problem getting the wheels off! (it's a 52 plate and the wheels had never been removed so they can 'fuse' to the hub) so pop the centre caps, squirt in some GT85 or WD40 and if they don't shift it's a case of lying down and booting the wheel from behind [;)]

When it's done it really looks good [:D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts